How long before Humans become extinct?

Yep, I think we are a “just in time” species

1 Like

Oh Morty…
How have we destroyed the planet Morty?
I posted an article a bit back, by an American bloke who has worked in the oil business all of his life. Both in the geology and the extraction. In a nutshell, they closed a site down in Texas because they were getting fewer barrels of oil out and it was deemed unprofitable. Over the years the price of oil increased to such a level that it would now be profitable to open up that old well and recover the remains of oil that was left. To their surprise, it had actually filled with oil and produced more barrels than it did when it was first sunk. The conclusion was that oil is not in fact just a fossil fuel, but resides somewhere under the earths crust and permeates up through the layers of rock. Obviously this has been kept quiet or it would greatly affect the status quo of not just the oil industry, but the economy and agendas of many western countries.
Nuclear waste does not remain radio active forever Morty. And in the context of the life of this planet, it represents a mere blink of an eye…
I’m not blaming you and many others for the way they have interpreted Humans effect on this planet, we are bombarded constantly by adverts, the media and the government about saving energy and recycling to ‘save the planet’ when everything the government does, flies in the face of the environment with massive house building projects, encouraging the driving of electric vehicles, and the installation of solar panels and wind turbines that will not supply the energy needs of this country. But as long as the well off can drive around in their 4.2 litre range rovers and live in virtually luxury, we will continue to have poverty, homelessness, and massive immigration to do the jobs we should be doing ourselves.

It would be hard to wipe us all out. Your really looking at Earth destroying events.

Big asteroid impact. local star going Nova or being hit with a high energy pulse from a quasar or such. Massive wandering planet drifting threw our solar system and throwing us out into deep space.

For terrestrial stuff its fairly hard to kill us all. A virus will always leave a % immune and alive. Nuclear war wouldn’t kill us all. Extreme climate change would still leave some areas habitable.

The only thing that would make Humans extinct is if we change ourselves into something that can be no longer described as Human threw genetic engineering or cybernetics or uploading our consciousness into a artificial construct.

1 Like

Okay … I stand corrected.
It’s good that the planet can make oil so easily and nuclear waste contamination won’t be a problem.
I’m just a naturally sceptical person. :grimacing:

1 Like

Surely, any of these are preferable to just being Cremated. :smile:

1 Like

Clearly not that kept quite as it has an extensive wiki.

Its a fairly well known hypothesis that has had significant research.

I’m not cleaver enough to say if its correct or not.

The massive collision of a large asteroid with the earth took out the dinosaurs, so as many more large lumps of rock are still out there, we will also be taken out by another a very probable devastating collision.

Well I haven’t heard it on the main stream media, especially the BBC…
Perhaps in some dark forgotten corner of Wiki…
:disguised_face:

Its not news …

Not to you maybe Rich…
:nerd_face:

Climate change is absolutely a thing and it is caused by us burning hydrocarbons.

However its not the end of the world. It wont screw everyone up but it will screw some people up.

IMO the solution is both nuclear power and green energy. Unfortunately nuclear power has been neglected :frowning_face:

Funny this thread should appear…In recent days, for the first time, I have been seriously entertaining what I would not have credited before–that we may, in fact, extinguish ourselves, and that for all we know, we are, let’s say, the fourth such human civilization on this planet to reach this stage of development, and then, whether through nuclear war, environmental collapse or who knows what, kill ourselves off. In recent years, science has been finding that life on earth has been around for far longer than was previously thought.

Pollution is caused by burning hydrocarbons, not climate change.

Never thought that actually, no science base here :grin:

1 Like

I agree. We could have come from somewhere else and set up home here on earth. When you think that no other living thing on this planet is anything like a human. Don’t give me that about evolution and chimps and apes etc, the timeline is all wrong.

Where from?

Voyager 1 and 2 are only now on the edge of our Solar System after travelling for over half a century.

The nearest star is tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of year’s travel away and I am pretty sure it doesn’t have a habitable planet orbiting it. Creatures could have evolved during the trip but would most probably starve. It is a ridiculous suggestion, definitely no basis in science.

1 Like

I don’t know where we came from Bruce, it is beyond the understanding of the present human mind, if it wasn’t we would be able to bridge those vast distances of space. Perhaps one day we will discover the secret. Look how far we have come, what would people of the past think about the inventions and discoveries of the present day. It would have been way beyond their understanding. Just because we can’t explain it, doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

Given it’s velocity, it would take 73,000 years to reach Proxima Centuri, assuming it was heading in that direction, which it isn’t. There is allegedly a “Super Earth” named Proxima Centauri b orbiting a red dwarf star which is deemed to be within the habitable zone, but would be unlikely candidate to colonise (assuming we were able to reach it) as it’s not known whether it can support an atmosphere, given the nature of it’s parent star. I assume a probe of some kind would be needed to gather more data.

Your suggestion makes no sense whereas evolution does.

Occam’s razor.