How fast is your internet?

Go to speedtest.net and click on GO, once it’s done click on the link icon (first one in the ‘SHARE’ menu) then copy the URL from the Image box, then paste that into a post below :smiley:

It will then show something like this in your post:

my top download speed is about 35mbps and upload at best is 6 mbps. it all depends on distance from exchange and if have copper wires or fibre optics to the premises. Around here BT (open reach) say it will be another 2/3 years before we get fibre. private companies have started laying in fibre cable through BT ducts though. It is all down to how much it will cost to have

1 Like

Azz
I don’t suppose you are old enough to remember shared service using just copper wires. How it worked was they used an earth for the third wire. So you had an earth spike banged into the ground if that was the only way to get an earth. Knocked in a few myself for switchboards way back then.
Person A wanting to make a call lifted the phone to check it was not being used. If not then pressed a button on the phone which then connected earth with one of the pair of wires (positive for example) and if the other share line partner wanted to make a call they did the same and connected earth with the other (negative shall we say) wire.
We had that in our second house until they increase the supply cable size back in around 1974/5

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I pay for 100/40 so was quite pleased with this especially as it is coming to my laptop via a couple of switches and wifi.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

being a simple person

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this fast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 Like

Snail’s pace :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

How comes Mags? I thought you had pretty good broadband?

Plusnet have been pretty good value round here…

1 Like

I’m not sure Azz, I’m hoping my son will look into it for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

1 Like

Speedtest® by Ookla say:

Speedtest® by Ookla® is the definitive way to test the speed and performance of your internet connection. Every day, over ten million unique tests are actively initiated by our users in the locations and at the times when their connectivity matters to them. Since our founding in 2006, an unparalleled total of more than 45 billion tests have been taken with Speedtest.

VirginMedia say:

All trademarks of Ookla, LLC, including Speedtest®, are used under license.

So why the discrepancy … :017:

1 Like

Hope you get it sorted soon Mags (if not post on the forum and maybe someone will be able to help)

The Virgin one was a little slower for me too. Could be a few reasons, first is that ISPs detect you are using Speedtest, and lift any throttling, or, the Virgin one is doing the opposite to try and make your web connection appear worse than it is :lol: Or it could just be the server they selected is further away or slower.

Try the BT one: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Good … :+1:

Bad … :-1:

Odd discrepancies … :017:

Anyway, most tests confirm that I’m getting what I paid for … :grinning:

1 Like

21.52 Download, par for the course.

1 Like

Don’t know how fast, but I know how much it costs.

1 Like

Yep, mine is £29.99 a months broadband only.

1 Like