How does a person live alone and not get lonely?

I have lived alone for more than 30 years and in all that time I have never been lonely.
Some people do not need others around them to enjoy life.
While others have this compulsion to talk for talkings sake. To engage non stop in chit chat.
I have a huge variety of interests. Be it Jigsaws puzzles, crosswords, reading both fiction(horror) and non fiction books.
My number one method to keeping boredom at bay is to go camping across this wide state of mine. Western Australia is 2.646 million sq km’s.(England is 130,000)
Camping, fishing, beach combing, bush walking, easy mountain climbing, canoeing, crabbing,.
I think there are certain truths I have embraced to enjoy a contented life. I do not feel I am missing out on anything.
I know marriage is no guarantee to stave off loneliness. I have a strong self image of myself so I do not need constant reassurance from others. I do engage with those around me. I know my local corner store owners by name. We share life’s little moments when I visit their store.
If and when negative thoughts crop up in my mind, and it does happen from time to time, I actively take steps to be rid of them. I say out loud, “Get out of my head, you are not wanted”
I write the negativity out of my mind. Very effective way to remove it. Pick up a pen and write. Do not think about what to write. Just let it flow until there is no more.
My life is one of contentment that I have made to work. It does not happen without putting in some effort. I smile inwardly when I hear people say, " I’m bored"
I think, "Well your not putting in an effort to change the situation.
It also gives me mirth when people say, “I never meet anyone, no one invites me out” All this while sitting on the couch playing video games for 18 hours a day.
Life does not come knocking on your door. You want a life of contentment? Get out there and make it happen.

4 Likes

Isolationism, maybe good if there are less toilet breaks.

2 Likes

I was an only child living in the depths of wild and woolly Wales.You get used to it and learn to appreciate nature and the simple things in life.It does help to have books and the radio though.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that this a forum for oldies :slightly_smiling_face:
Young people can get lonely too.

2 Likes

Youngsters can delonlyize if they choose to, oldies are stuck in a rut, this forum will never see the rutters , just a few nutters :grin:

3 Likes

I am sure there are many young people that are lonely.
Many times social skills are not taught and those who are naturally reserved have a hard time making and retaining friends.

2 Likes

People can be married, live in the same house and still be lonely.

5 Likes

I have met many married people who are very lonely. A sad situation indeed.

1 Like

How did you assess their loneliness?

1 Like

I would class loneliness be it if you live alone or in a houseful of people as if you don’t feel understood or cared for by the people around and is actually a state of mind. Loneliness causes people to feel empty, alone, and unwanted.

That’s my perception I live alone, and totally enjoy it in fact not sure I could adapt to living with someone now…

3 Likes

@Bretrick I live alone and find that the saying “life is what you make it” is true be it small or large steps as long as you move forward in your mind at least and plan you are okay with the world.

1 Like

I too have lived alone since my kids left home a couple of decades ago. I don’t think I have ever felt lonely during my life.

Travelling is my hobby I guess, though the pandemic put a bit of a hold on that. Since the start of the pandemic apart from trips to my kids in Canberra and Sydney I have only had a couple of trips.

One to Camerons Corner with my kids in convoy

…and my Christmas Cruise

Sorry three trips, I forgot the Jacaranda Festival

I’m off to visit friends in Malaysia next week. I try to keep busy

I quite enjoy solitude as much as I enjoy company.

1 Like

I am a new user so apparently I can’t yet post images, but if I could, I would have posted a meme of Robin Williams stating the following: I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone.

6 Likes

They told me.

That is definitely one way to do it. A change of one’s perceptions, a change of attitude.
Life is what you make it. Get out there and do what it is you want to do.

1 Like

I love this. I hope this will do for now.

3 Likes

The beauty is, when you find a person who “does” understand you, and they sick around regardless.

2 Likes

I think it’s good to keep busy and have a lot of interests.

2 Likes

Yes. Never allow the thought of being lonely to germinate or fester.
There are always things we can do.

1 Like

I’m too busy to be bored, or lonely. If I feel like talking to someone I’ll take the dog out. We usually then meet someone who she wants to say hello to, or vice versa, so I will then do idle chit chat with the human. I have her, I have my allotment, I go out on shopping trips, I have my Tuesday cafe friends. I have my siblings at the end of a phone and may call one, just to hear a comforting voice.

If I have Holly, plenty of books and decent stuff on the telly (and with Prime video and Netflix am spoilt for choice) I’m happy and content.

2 Likes