How does a person live alone and not get lonely?

There is so much we can do, no need to be lonely or bored. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes I remember being very lonely when I moved into a new life at 53, first time I had ever lived alone , first time I had to think of myself and not put other people first , the first time with just myself to talk to . I busied myself working 3 jobs and early to bed . My first Easter weekend bank holiday 4 long long days watching others with family. It took a long while for me to realise that being with people actually didnā€™t stop the loneliness as while with them I knew I had to return to living with just me . It was a sad journey and I thought it would always be so . Slowly as years went by I actually realised I liked being with myself , it was OK. Itā€™s now 20 years since those difficult days , I like my alone life, in fact if a friend comes to stay I love that time but am pleased when my life returns to just me again .

But I do feel for those who are lonely itā€™s an awful feeling

4 Likes

People arenā€™t going to knock on your door. You have to get out there .
Making friends is hard work you need to put effort into it.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve found since moving .

3 Likes

As the years pass we learn that alone time is precious.
Everyone needs quiet time and the years have shown us what we enjoy doing.
I value my alone time. I am still in the workforce doing ten hour shifts.
Getting home to my quiet place is bliss.

1 Like

So true.
Like when people say, ā€œIā€™m boredā€.
If one makes an effort to do something then boredom disappears.
But an effort must be made.

1 Like

I never get lonely.
I know a few people who have never married and live alone,they seem to have projects going on all of the time,and they have a better social life than i do.

2 Likes

Yup!!!

You feel that the person is dealing with lots of things but when you look at them, you feel boundaries. Thereā€™s blockages. You look at them but thereā€™s emptiness.

Youā€™re always questioning whether they like you or not. This in the last five years of their lives. You donā€™t understand the bitterness that wasnā€™t there before.

In the last outing together, youā€™ve felt a reaching out, but stopping themselves from telling what was really in their heart.

When the end did come all you were left with was answered questions thatā€™ll never be answered and due to this youā€™re left broken downā€¦

Itā€™s a year later, thereā€™s been eye opening moments and theyā€™ll probably be moreā€¦

Iā€™m weary of a new connection but I miss the very first few years where there was fun, laughter, love and affection. After 5 years of mourning the loss of our son, I was looking for a reconnection but the wall was too thick.

So, at the end of the day, Iā€™m lonely for love and adventure. I was hoping but destiny changed that and now Iā€™ve to healā€¦

3 Likes

I never feel lonely when on my own only when I am with a group of people and then I feel like the ā€˜outsiderā€™ . It has always been that way, I guess it may be something to do with my childhood and being moved around between different relations when my mother died. Next year I will have been a widow for 40 years and alone since my son left home 25 years ago .
I love being on my own, I guess I was one of the lucky ones, when isolating as a vulnerable person during Covid I didnā€™t mind it at all.

5 Likes

Meg, itā€™s great having folks around so one can really appreciate being alone sometimes, you have to thank life for giving you the best of both worlds.

1 Like

40 years is a long time to be a widow.
Do you hear from your son?
Same with me when Covid restrictions were put in place. I never noticed any difference except the mandatory mask wearing in supermarkets.

@Bretrick
Hi Bretrick :slightly_smiling_face: , I see my son about once a week , I like to be independent and donā€™t want him to feel he has to be there for me all the time.

Hello @Meg, I am pleased you and your son get along just fine.
I hear of many parents are estranged from their children. Which must be a very sad situation.
Keep enjoying life Megs, as I do :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like