How do you make Chicken Curry

How do you make your own Chicken Curry?

I use Chicken Breasts, Gram Masala, Tumeric, Garlic, Ginger, Curry Powder, Coriander, Onions, Red Peppers, Chillies, Pepper & Salt, Creamed Coconut.

But there is always a dry taste to it, what am I doing wrong.

1 Like

I’m no authority on cooking, susie, but it sounds like you’re not making it wet enough.

2 Likes

It sounds really nice but chicken breasts can go dry and tough, I prefer to use thighs, if you don’t mind darker meat

Or sometimes I buy a whole chicken and roast it, make my curry sauce and then just add the cooked chicken meat for about 10 minutes, to heat it through

I use up the carcass to make stock and then add the rest of the meat to it to make a nice chunky chicken soup/casserole

And a little ghee, bought or home made helps keep it nice and tender

1 Like

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/chicken-curry/67133

Hi @susiejaeger if you’re interested, please see my method here.

1 Like

Hi Harbal, the curry is not dry, I use Coconut cream at the end.

Maree, no problem with the Chicken Breast, I do sometimes use Thighs, but the Chicken is never dry.

I think its one of the spices I am using that makes the curry taste dry or a bit sour.

1 Like

Susie, I’m no expert at all on cooking, but I instantly thought of one of the spices.

What’s the quantity of spices Susie?

Normally about a heap teaspoon.

Just looked at your recipe, it sounds good Minx.

1 Like

I always add a dessert spoon of sugar to my curry @susiejaeger , and I use Greek yoghurt rather than coconut milk which is much easier on the calories. :+1:

p.s. I also cheat and use Patak’s Korma paste instead of messing about with all those spices, the mix is always constant and always reliable, makes a lovely curry… :blush:

2 Likes

I use Patak’s pastes as well, but the balti or madras versions. I then alter the balance by adding more spices, cumin, coriander and black mustard seeds added to fried onions. Minced garlic and ginger added to the onion/spice mix, and then cubed chicken added and stir-fried until it begins to change colour. Half a jar of the paste is added and stirred in before mixing in enough cold water to cover the chicken. Stir the whole lot together and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked. Turn the heat off, then walk away - I leave mine overnight to mature. This tenderises the chicken breast.

When you’re ready to eat it, warm it up slowly before adding any more spices - I like dried cumin, so a good amount (1 x tsp) is sprinkled on top along with some dried curry leaves or dried fenugreek leaves (Methi). Continue heating and stirring until the sauce thickens.

4 Likes

Wow Judd!

I’m seriously impressed!
:grinning:

Wow @Judd , that sounds much too strong for me, my korma takes fifteen minutes start to finish and my curry is very mild, I could never see the point of loads of heat because for me that just destroys the flavour, but to each his own I guess…

Interesting about the sugar, sacrilege I know but I use a squirt of tomato ketchup with has a lot is sugar in it and it just takes the bitter edge off

I was not going to say anything but yes, sugar and ketchup are a sacrilege :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had a bit of a Google and they said it’s important to “fry off” your curry powders etc in oil, to take away the dryness. Do you do that?

I always do, fry them in with the onions, and I see Minx does too

Thanks Judd.

Yes, that’s a key step

You’re right of course but I’m an “experimental” cook

Sometimes the old man says Leititia Cropley :joy:

1 Like

The chicken curry is the easy bit.

What matter is masses of basmati cooked to perfection with cloves, cardamom pods & star anise.

And raita by the dollops.

2 Likes

You need a tin of tomatoes in there - otherwise it will be too dry as you have discovered. I use all the ingredients you list but don’t bother with the peppers and chillis but you do need Cumin in there. I don’t use curry powder either.

Going to show my age here but I still use a little booklet from the old TV Prog “Pebble Mill at One” where they had an Indian lady called Madhur Jaffrey cooking authentic Indian food. The book still has the price on the back …. 60p and the best 60p I ever spent.

In the 70s I worked with loads of Asian families and joined them in their homes for meals quite often. I picked up a lot of cookery tips from them too and still have some handwritten (and curry splashed) recipes in my recipe book. The food then was quite different to what most Indian restaurants serve up now as they have altered their food to suit the British palate.

2 Likes