How do we form opinions?

On my way back from the vets today I saw a tall old man walking with a lovely little spaniel & I thought " That man & dog look odd together".
The man and the dog both looked healthy & seemed very content with each other, so I told myself off and decided that is was none of my business what sort of dog the man should have.

I think it was because there was such a size difference, but then remembered that a small lady on here once had German Shepherds, & I never thought that was odd!

Do others ever rethink their opinions like that?

1 Like

You might just have forced your opinion review, but, next time you see the Man and Dog, you will think ā€œThatā€™s Strangeā€.

Feeling guilty for a perception is quite common, probably.

You may be right spitfire, but I think that if we donā€™t question our own opinions then we may have closed minds.
If I see that man again I think my initial thought will be " Oh look there is that tall man with his lovely little dog" and smile, because I can learn from changing my opinion.

Which is the real person at any given time? Change an opinion means the original train of thought was skewed in some way, its easier to change the thought pattern temporarily and accept a negative opinion that may have been formed by a legitimate experience historically.

Twink, l would say, we tend to put people and situations in ā€˜boxesā€™ in our head.
So when we see a situation that doesnā€™t match the ā€˜boxā€™ in our head, we think itā€™s odd or not right.

1 Like

I can remember reading about over thinking years ago now but still do it if I feel overloaded.
You mentally put all your bothersome thoughs in a container of sortsā€¦mine is a treasure chestā€¦has a lock and key and for me it does helpā€¦

Whilst on a training course when l worked in Local Government, we were given this scenario to work outā€¦

Quoteā€¦ A father and son are in a horrible car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to the hospital; just as heā€™s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, ā€œI canā€™t operateā€”that boy is my son!ā€
How could this be?

You may be right about putting things in boxes, but this was just a momentary thought about " why did that man have such a small dog?" and I was sad that I thought that way for a few seconds, as it was nothing to do with me!
I just wondered how many people are influenced by things like the news, politicians & ads, yet never consider that they are influenced by anybody, so just stick with their first thought!

Worse are people that form opinions about a person by the way they dress. To me, that is so shallow.
No one should be judged on the clothes they wear.

I agree! I dont always like what other people wear, but it is their choice!
Art i suspect that you may have been a mod & I was a rocker, but it is understanding each other that makes us friendsā€¦ not our clothes! :smiley:

1 Like

Mod married a Greaser hereā€¦soon sorted out that thenā€¦ :clown_face:
Hands up thoughā€¦took him to Carnaby Street London for some new clothesā€¦3/4 length leather coat for a startersā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:

Well I hope you helped him polish his motor bike! :grinning:

Ok I give in

The boy was adopted? But I bet thatā€™s wrong !:grin:

2 Likes

Because women can actually be doctors also. Itā€™s the motherā€™s son.

4 Likes

@Twink55 Hi Twink :slightly_smiling_face: I guess we all have preconceived ideas that influence our opinions but should try not to and to keep an open mind.

Some years ago I dropped my shopping bag in a back street in Worcester taking a short cut to the car park and bending down to pick the things up I saw a boy in a hoodie running over.
I froze thinking hoodie=mugging but he was a lovely and helped pick up the things.

2 Likes

Correct! Bratti.

This is because many of us when the word ā€˜surgeonā€™ is mentioned, we tend to think of a man.
The same with an airline pilotā€¦ we assume pilots are usually men!
Some people, men in particular will not board a plane if they hear the pilot is a woman.

1 Like

I wonder if thatā€™s fear of incompetency or just plain sexiest.

Donā€™t you love being wrong in these types of incidents? I love when people prove me wrong in the kindest of ways.

2 Likes