How do I stop this gate from freezing?

Please,please, how do I stop this gate from freezing, at the side opening, I had such a job opening this morning,I had to resort to hot water and what did that do today, froze again,I couldn’t get back in after shopping, I had to ask my neighbour for more hot water!.

HELP a woman in distress,:lol::lol:how do I stop it freezing up,my lovely men on here,:hug:

Just posted a pic of my gate, bit dark,sorry.

1 Like

Well stop pouring water on it for a start. :slight_smile:

Which part is freezing?

Can you see the side ,where the gate opens Judd, that is where it freezes, I couldn’t have got out ,if I hadn’t poured hot water on it, even then it took me all of my strength to open it.:slight_smile:

Hurry up and tell me how to fix it,:lol::lol: only joking…:lol:

The same thing happened with the old wooden gate, why did I buy another wooden gate!:017::017:…i should have known better.

Not a man, but would WD40 help?

Thank you Pixie Knuckles, lets see what Judd suggests.:slight_smile: I never thought of that, sounds a good idea though.

Oil it, that shouldn’t freeze…

Spray it liberally with anti-freeze. Works on mine.

Try a silicone spray.

Please do not use antifreeze! The sweet smell is attractive to small mammals, including dogs and cats, and is deadly if they ingest even small amounts.

Anti- freeze, lethal to my dog, if ingested,I wouldn’t even keep that in my house, but thanks anyway,ST, thank you,Mags, I’m thinking about smothering it in Vaseline.

Thank you SM,:-)…silicone spray also sounds good.

I’m still waiting on Judd, he asked me a question, then seemed to do a runner!.:lol::lol:

Wakey, wakey, Judd…:lol::lol:

Pauline, can you leave it open

Saying that yesterday I couldn’t open my sliding patio door it was frozen shut

I have just this minute opened it, Susan, I don’t want the same performance tomorrow, that I had today, not until I get some Vaseline anyway, thank you.:slight_smile:

Others on the list, silicon spray.
WD 40.

Just of interest why does the gate freeze up? I mean if there is no ice?

My side gate is wooden and swells every winter, rather than freezes. When it swells, I managed to force it open to get the bins out, then that’s it. I can’t shut it until the weather warms up.

Every year it’s the same. I’ve tried allsorts. I’ve even shaved the areas that catch with a Stanley knife (yes, I know but I’ve nothing else to use :-D) and sandpaper. I’ve then used WD40 and/or Vaseline. It’s always a waste of time for mine so I don’t know why I bother :wink:

So once opened, I just have to push it to and stack some rocks to keep it ‘together’ so it looks as if it’s closed, plus it stops the wind from opening it.

TBH it’s a pain. The garage door is the same… not the main one, the side one.

Bah humbug.

I had that problem with my last wooden gate,Pesta, I shaved part of the bottom off, with a hacksaw, what a mess I made, this new one is very wet, where it rained here for a few days, then of course, last night it froze…problem solved tomorrow I hope, when I purchase those products,:slight_smile:

Problem with smothering in Vaseline is you’ll get covered every time you open it, I’m assuming it’s the bolt that’s freezing, you could use wd40 or a silicone spray, or you could just run some source of heat over the bolt (not water), a lighter or cooker igniter or even a match, you don’t need to get it hot just enough to melt any ice…

The bolt is freezing, but also all the way down the gate opening, it doesn’t help that I drenched it in water, prior to that we have had a lot of rain.

Even my dustbin lid freezes and I can’t get that open.

Freezing weather here last night,all day today and again tonight.

So sorry. I can’t help you with suggestions on this one. I’ve never been exposed to snow and ice.

Oh Minx, you don’t know what you’re missing…s’lovely stuff so is frost which makes some lovely flower patterns. You need to have a holiday somewhere where they have snow and get chucking some snow balls :smiley: