How did you know when you were in love?

When I watch movies or TV shows, people will sometimes say they knew they were in love because the saw stars or their heart started beating fast or they felt sick.

I’ve read that people in different cultures respond differently or think of it differently.

What feelings did you have that made you realize you were in love?

2 Likes

I would need to sit with you , a bottle of wine , a nice log fire , comfy chairs to tell you about love that I have experienced . Sadly it all came to nothing , and now I’ve learned to love myself

6 Likes

when I’m dining with a woman and she asks me “how much money have you got?” and I say :not a lot: and she says " don’t worry I;ve got trillions!!

2 Likes

I think they’re wrong there, that’s lust, not love :rofl::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Maybe. It differs by person.

Have you heard the word “limerance”? It’s the feeling of the first flush of chemicals that takes over in the beginning of a relationship.

Not everyone feels that or, as in your case, considers that to be love. What do you consider to be the first feelings of love?

2 Likes

Limerance is definitely lust, but what a lovely word for it!

I’ve been in limerance many times, and I’m not knocking it, it’s luvverly, and sometimes it turns to love too :two_hearts:

I don’t agree with his second stage, the trust one, really,

you don’t just love those you trust, I think, or hold off love until you trust them?

The first signs of love for me are when he feels like part of you, his well being and happiness are important to you

And when just seeing him in the morning makes you happy and content and the whole of him, (warts and all!) is precious and familiar to you

4 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

I always wanted to marry a strong no nonsense Yorkshire lass…
So when this beer drinking, tobacco chewing, long legged lass stepped through the door of my local billiard hall I knew instantly that she was the girl for me…It was confirmed when her dad, a six foot seven ex miner decided that we should marry…I agreed…And we’ve been happy ever since…She actually gave up her job as cleaner in the local working man’s club to make a home for me…The only downside was, I had to start buying my own rollups…

2 Likes

I’ll let you know when I find out.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone falls in love anymore it’s a bit old fashioned…
And there are too many distractions these days.
:neutral_face:

1 Like

I watch all her videos on YT, very insightful particularly wrt to attachment theory:

1 Like

I disagree with her definition of limerance. She changed the meaning from the one that was coined by the person who originated it. She added a very judgemental quality to it. She also added a one-sided dimension to it. There’s nothing like that in the original definition. In the original, you could be limerant with someone who reciprocates the feeling. It could still be obsessive like in the case of Romeo and Juliet. Both were limerant with each other.

She also added a delusional quality when she says that the person only sees the good qualities and not the bad. People can be limerant while still seeing the negative qualities. There’s no part of the original definition that adds the delusional quality.

Then the judgemental part about co-regulating makes sense but only with the negative definition she gave it. If both people are limerant with each other and co-regulating voluntarily with each other, I don’t see the problem.

3 Likes

I knew i was in love when he txt me and when we met up my tummy did summer saults.
And when he held me i would literally shake and he was the same,ohhh those were the days.

3 Likes

That’s a very balanced view butterscotch. Thanks :hugs:

2 Likes

The question should read “when you thought you were in love”…for me.
No tummy qualms, no shakes, no worries over what I’ve said or didn’t say.
I simply wanted to be around him, and have him want to be in contact with me. Being together to do little things or big things, and laughing about the adventure the next week is a good “tell” for me. No matter if the event was great or a flop…

Having said that, I’ve had men who want to be in constant contact with me, and it’s smothering. No one should be in each other’s pockets constantly. I cringe at the thought. I need breathing room, and so should he.

4 Likes

I feel there are many layers to love
i have been in love many times, and know the difference between lust and love
most love requires lust, but lust might not lead to love,
then there is the love that requires no lust
but the best love needs laughter, but often we might cry more than we laugh
i feel sorry for those who love but never get loved
then again i guess your love might just be different to mine…xxx

4 Likes

It was when I saw her shape in that tight jumper and those blue jeans. Luckily, that wasn’t all there was to it …as 46 years of togetherness proves.

3 Likes

I just wanted to be with Mrs Fox as often as possible and she with me. I would rush home from work and couldn’t wait to see her again. It had never happened with any other girl. We had much in common, and now our life together seems to be what both of us expected. I need her, and she needs me. Although sometimes I feel that I don’t reciprocate the love that she feels for me…But I do…This is how I can best describe my feeling for her, and we have made it …‘Our Song’…

Before I am reduced into a blubbering mass…I’ll move on…
:anguished:

6 Likes

Thanks pal i used that one a lot… also love me tender, great words

1 Like

when I got my first erection?? - oops am I allowed to say that here??