How Can Anyone Not Like Garlic?

You could try but you might be unlucky and yes pointy side up, tip just above soil level You might need to cover them with fleece, stops pigeons pulling them up

2 Likes

I use garlic in cooking, but not loads. My daughter’s boyfriend hates it and goes into a real strop if he comes round and I am cooking with it.

1 Like

Rose, He probably thinks it tastes like what people smell of!! Which is very different!

I love garlic, homemade garlic bread with either butter or extra virgin oil is irresistible. I have garlic powder and granules too in reserve.
In the spring a forage in the woods has become a bit of a ritual, wild garlic pesto and a decent supply of wild garlic butter for the freezer.

1 Like

Perhaps he is a vampire?

1 Like

wild garlic is a bit of a mystery. Do you pull up those lovely flowers to find the bulbs?

1 Like

2 Likes

I just harvest the leaves Annie and leave the bulbs intact. I know a couple of spots locally that are absolutely carpeted with wild garlic. Happily that means that it’s possible to pick a few leaves from the plants and not cause any damage.
It takes about two kilos of leaves to make a fairly small jar of pesto!

2 Likes

I love garlic (and very spicy food) but lately have taken to buying a jar of minced garlic to keep in the fridge. Slack I know but convenient especially considering I always used to grow the stuff.

My last crop of hot chilli yielded so much that I dried it, crushed it and now have enough for years to come.

5 Likes

I love it.
End of.

2 Likes

Love garlic , living alone I eat mostly every day with cooking . I forget when I’m out I must have smelly breath.

2 Likes

I’ve done that before now … the leaves are just as nice chopped up as a topping for jacket potatoes or scattered on cream cheese etc etc. Also quite a bit milder for those who don’t quite want to deter vampires.

I remember the very first time I ever ate garlic though.
I came out in a rash on my face, looked flamin awful like a mottled beetroot until my skin peeled off.
My complexion underneath was beautiful .
Best face mask I ever used.

1 Like

Art , I’m probably like your sister ,and now you’re talking about cheese ! Another no no ,it gives me migraine although sometimes I look at some and could worry a cheese sandwich .

1 Like

I’ve told him that many times! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I saw black garlic on sale yesterday for the first time.

2 Likes

I only use garlic in stews, it slowly cooks into the food boosting flavours, but you wouldn’t know it was there. No distinctive taste or smell: no garlic breath, or unpleasant body odours.

And I simply crush each clove with the flat of a knife, keeping it in one piece, that’s enough to release the flavour. No special equipment required.

The distant smell of garlic burning is attractive, that’s an old trick restaurants use to allure passing custom.

1 Like

Zuleika, l suppose, one man’s meat, is another man’s poison.

I react like you but… to yoghurt! :face_vomiting:

I also crush it but to get the skin off. There is a trick if you want a few cloves - you put the whole bulb in a jar and shake (a lot). Good exercise if you need a work out.

3 Likes

I heave at the smell of it also. I cannot eat it. It makes me sick all night long. On the occasions I have eaten it (didn’t check the ingredients, or when we’ve eaten out at a restaurant) sick as a dog - like food poisoning!!

2 Likes

I love garlic and grow about 22 heads a year, harvested in August dried and usually eaten by January.

(chewing a sprig of parsley should neutralise a garlic breath, I don’t bother I wish to keep people away :grinning:)

2 Likes

Casting my mind back to when I was a postie in Brighton.
There was a lady colleague who (as the story went) would munch through several cloves of garlic a day, health benefits I suppose.
You could smell stale garlic eminatng from every pore in her body at fifteen yards.
It’s not just about breath :wink:

1 Like