How Can Anyone Not Like Garlic?

I love garlic. I don’t care if l reek of it, l just love it… besides, it’s so good for you. It thins your blood.

My sister hates garlic and heaves at the smell of it. She doesn’t like spicy food either and heaves at that too!

What about you? Do you like garlic? Do you use much of it?
How do you choose your garlic and what do you use it in?
Please don’t tell me you eat cloves of garlic raw… l don’t think l could do that! I prefer it cooked in food.

3 Likes

I do use a lot of garlic, just finishing off last years crop that I grew. I still have to plant the cloves for next year.
It’s great with lamb and keeps vampires away apparently

1 Like

Vlad, l haven’t been very successful in growing garlic. The bulbs are usually small and a bit tasteless.
What do you use to grow it in? Manure? :laughing:

we have a local smokehouse, and the smoked garlic is just yummie

1 Like

Macy, l had never heard of smoked garlic until a while back and then l noticed it in the supermarkets.
It’s supposed to be really nice.

Hi Art, I have a couple of raised beds, I am getting too old to bend over, it’s been filled with a mixture of top soil, manure and general purpose compost.
I plant out garlic, onions and shallots in December, they need a real cold snap, but I agree the garlic are never really big, but they are quite tasty, I have been thinking about planting Elephant Garlic, a lot larger but some reckon not so tasty

1 Like

I like it too, just you both have to agree to eat it!
The Queen banned it didn’t she? :nose::scream:

I’ve got one of these crushers, it’s very good

1 Like

Can you grow garlic from a clove? It doesn’t work with onions.

2 Likes

I bought something similar but more needy. it was consigned to the rubbish dump. These days I find the least needy implement to be a mini grater.

1 Like

I just grew mine in pots but l felt it was a waste of time in the end.
I think it’s great that you have good results with yours.

I have grown onions and shallots too… I had more success with those!

Maree, l didn’t know the queen banned it. You’d think she’d need It with all the vampires in the Tower!!

I have a Delia Smith garlic crusher but l usually chop it up finely with a sharp knife.

Tonight, l sliced a French stick, mixed some chopped garlic with butter and spread it on the bread. I topped it with cheese and put it on the grill mode in my Visi Air Chef. The taste was ‘died and gone to heaven’… gorgeous.

2 Likes

Which cheese did you use Art - cheddar?

1 Like

Annie, Just Waitrose Extra Mature Cheddar.

1 Like

Yes, but don’t use the garlic you buy in the supermarket, they are not suited for our climate,
I buy mine on line normally I plant Solent Wight, it comes as a complete head, and you just separate the cloves and plant them

2 Likes

Never tried them in pots Art, but I believe the pot needs to be quite deep.

1 Like

Vlad, l wasn’t a serial garlic grower. I just stuck garlic cloves in and forgot about them. The trouble was, l forget l’d put them in and used to pull the ‘grass’ out of the pots… until I remembered it was garlic growing!

Been there done similar :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Extra mature? That sounds very grown up indeed :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I bet that I could try supermarket cloves seeing as I saw a red Admiral butterfly today in November! Pointy bit up I take it?

mmmmmm…garlic

Comes in black also.

png-clipart-black-garlic-solo-garlic-health-fettuccine-alfredo-food-health-food-recipe-thumbnail

1 Like