How 'bout them apples? What's your favorite type of apple?

I’m sick of all of you eating those apples each day, since you’ve kept the doctors away. :wink:

1 Like

Forget about the vaccines Dex, use natures natural defence…Apples!

1 Like

That and domestos aftershave.

3 Likes

That and a glass of red wine.

Crabs :+1:

1 Like

Not since I got married…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Tut, tut ! :smiley:

1 Like

My favourite apples are when they are fermented and come in cans or bottles,any will do,im easily pleased.

1 Like

I like breaburn apples, eater not cooker.

1 Like

Home Bargains sell lovely Polish apples by the name of Elise at £1 for 1.2 kg.

1 Like

Cox’s Orange Pippins is my favourite, a lovely crisp sweet apple with slight bite to it.

2 Likes

I always buy Pink Lady imported from South Africa, New Zealand or France, but prefer English apples when they are available in Tesco.

3 Likes

Wow Butterscotch, I haven’t heard of any of them.
I’ve not been a great apple enthusiast as I found many lacking in taste but not lacking in “bityness” or edging sour.

One that I do like is the Pink Lady, but it is unfortunately for me, riddled with high sugar levels.

I’m struggling for a name now, but a new variety has quite recently been released here that is PINK INSIDE not unlike a watermelon. I’ve checked a couple of times in supermarkets when shopping but haven’t seen any stocks of them so far.

I use apples mainly when I make jars of fresh salad together with cucumbers, onions, celery, walnuts etc. That’s where such as the Pink Lady apples contributes a nice sweetish touch to the salad and a counterpoise to the cider vinegar.

2 Likes

Azz wrote…
"In case anyone hasn’t tried it, honey and apple tastes a bit like toffee apples :lol: "

Only days ago I dragged out a bottle of Apple and Cinnamon ( REAL Cinnamon, not Cassia ) that has for ages been hiding in my fridge.

It’s partially sweetened with Stevia Rebaudiana so that eases my conscience re the sweetening of it.

Ah… yes… ( as he sips a lovely hot cup of it ) THAT tastes NICE !!!

Considering how beeping cold it is here tonight this cuppa is doubly welcome. :smiley:

3 Likes

The best apples I ever tasted were picked fresh off the tree in an orchard in Norfolk many moons ago.
I can’t remember the varieties, they weren’t the large glossy waxed things that had been in storage for heaven knows how long before finally ending up in the supermarket.

1 Like

You can’t beat them fresh off the tree Chilli, or even just a week or two old, but I reckon when they have come from last season they have lost a lot of the nutrients and is hardly worth eating them. Even if they look fresher on the supermarket shelf than this years crop.

1 Like

Exactly Foxy… supermarket apples often have that kind of woolly texture if that makes sense?

1 Like

I like Breaburn apples, they keep well and from the supermarket Sainsbury’s, got a lovely flavour and very juicy.

3 Likes

My favourite apples come from the tree in our garden. I have no idea what breed they are, but they are sweet and juicy. They are excellent “eaters”, can be used as “cookers” with no added sugar, the tree produces anywhere between 20 - 40 litres of juice in a season when I run my press, but it shames me as a resident of Zumerzet that alas I have so far failed to make any decent zyder from them.

I have never tasted one, but I would like to try a Slack ma Girdle apple just because I like the sound of the name.

1 Like

In the last village I lived (in North Yorkshire) my neighbour had a cider press - a small group of young chaps in the village used to collect as many apples as the villagers would give them and help him with the cider making.
Nearly all the 50 houses in the village had long back gardens and most of them still had a few fruit trees at the bottom of the garden, so the Cider Group received plenty of apples of many different varieties.
Everyone who donated apples was given a share of the cider they made - and very good it was too!

4 Likes