How 'bout them apples? What's your favorite type of apple?

I was watching a Food Network show called The Bobby and Damaris show. Damaris told Bobby Flay that in the US alone, there are 2,500 varieties of apples.

I looked up UK apple varieties and found this list.

Dabinett
Cox’s Orange Pippin
Kingston Black
Blenheim Orange Apples
Knobby Russet
Discovery Apples
Armagh Bramley Apples
Grenadier Apples

I’ve heard of none of them.

Same list of apples in the US.

I’ve heard of most of these. My favorite is not on the list.

My favorite apple is Fuji.
Crisp, sweet with a slight bit of a tang, but not as much as honeycrisps.

What’s your favorite type of apple?

Cox,s orange pippin is my all time favourite apple, and, now is about the time they make their appearance in the shops…

1 Like

Pink lady :wink:

3 Likes

i’m with the pink ladies also

1 Like

I’m not a great apple eater. But, we do normally get some Bramley this time of year. They are big, get 4 or 5 peel, core, chop, add a splash of water and a little cane sugar, boil for a few mins and serve a hot dollop on your morning porridge.

I see “Armagh Bramley Apples” on the list: Armagh is a place in Ireland. They’ve added some worlds to make to list look more interesting. “Knobby Russet” … never heard of them but simply Russet are well known, my mother used to bake them whole (minus core).

1 Like

I also like “freebies”, next door’s apple tree hangs over our garden, and they don’t eat apples

we puree them and freeze them for laters

That’s Damaris’ favorite apple also. She says that’s the best apple you can get in a store.

1 Like

Cox’s for eating, and nothing else will do for toffee apples and choccie apples🍏

Bramley’s for cooking

At certain times of the year you can’t get Cox so I look out for Jazz or Kanji which are both OK

1 Like

Me too , I like baked Bramleys
Core apples leaving a little apple at the bottom so the filling won’t escape .
fill with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, sultanas and or chopped raisins and nuts, add a little water to the tray …bake …delicious with cream or creme fraiche

2 Likes

No one’s mentioned Royal Gala apples. They’re my favourites, crisp and sweet without being overly hard. I stopped buying Braeburn apples as I got older and my teeth not so reliable, as they can be just a little bit too hard to bite into! Another good one is Rubens. And yes, definitely Bramley for cooking, they make the most perfect apple pies!

2 Likes

I like Russets, nutty taste to them.

1 Like

I always use a knife.

1 Like

I do have one of those apple slicer thingies, you know, that cuts the apple into 8 pieces and leaves the core. Always use that at home, but if we’re going out I like to take an apple to munch in the car, not necessarily immediately, so if I cut one up before leaving, it would be brown by the time I wanted to eat it :frowning_face:

I like royal gala and pink ladies … apples too

1 Like

Yes, no slicing apples while driving.

:018:

Yep, Pink Lady or Braeburn for me. I download an App at least once every day.
I did buy some Jazz from Keswick while I was there and they were very crisp and tasty.
I would prefer to eat them fresh and not been transported half way around the world…
:uk:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When I was a courier on a time sensitive job and doing 80mph down the M1, I used to have a drink of tea, eat a sandwich, answer the phone, and read a map…I bet I could have fitted an apple slicing session in also…Don’t talk to me about ‘Multi-tasking’
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive OGF. I was pretty good at steering with my knees while holding the phone to my ear and changing gear. Course, they put paid to that in December 2003…

1 Like

I like Pink Lady or, for a bit of tang, Granny Smiths.

In fact I feel like one now, so I will go into the kitchen and steal the last Pink Lady!

1 Like