How 'bout them apples? What's your favorite type of apple?

I like the big red ones, the size of peppers. Can’t recall the name of them. I normally blend them up in a smoothie though rather than eat them in the usual way.

My favourite for cooking are Bramley Apples.
I have a Bramley Apple tree in my garden and the apples have just become ready for picking. They have a lovely flavour, a light, fluffy texture when cooked and need hardly any or very little added sweetening - they make lovely baked apples, pies and crumbles.

Favourite apples for eating from the old varieties are Cox’s Orange Pippins and Russets.
The old varieties tend to have been eclipsed in UK shops by the more modern cultivars, which seem to store better and stay crisp and juicy for longer.
Favourites from the more modern Varieties from the New World are Braeburn, originally from New Zealand, and Cripps Pink, originating from Australia.

The apples I buy most often nowadays are Pink Lady (Cripps Pink) - always crisp, juicy and sweet.

1 Like

Ah, Pink Lady apples, yet another of Australia’s gifts to the world.

Wink And Drink Smiley

I have a few apple trees in my garden, Bramley, Cox’s Orange Pippin where the pips rattle when you shake the apple.
There are two more apple trees that the apples are green, have a lovely fragrant, sweetish taste and are like a Granny Smith apple or a Golden Delicious.

Most apples are nearly always cold and the thought of the coldness make my teeth go funny!

Most here are on the ground, l pick them up and put them in the green bin. I do keep some Bramleys.

One friend comes to pick them and he and his wife make tarts, crumbles, or stores them but no one else seems interested.

1 Like

Tesco’s ones come from South Africa or New Zealand Bruce…

All ‘Bramley Seedling’ apple trees are descendants of an original planted in Nottinghamshire.

Quote:-
The first Bramley’s Seedling tree grew from pips planted by Mary Ann Brailsford in her garden when she was a young girl in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, UK in 1809. Mary left the house when she married and possibly never saw the apples that were produced. She died in 1852 never knowing that “her” seedling was to become famous.[7] The tree she had planted in the garden was later included in the purchase of the cottage by a local butcher, Matthew Bramley, in 1846. In 1856, a local nurseryman, Henry Merryweather, asked if he could take cuttings from the tree and start to sell the apples. Bramley agreed but insisted that the apples should bear his name.

On 31 October 1862, the first recorded sale of a Bramley was noted in Merryweather’s accounts. He sold “three Bramley apples for 2/- to Mr Geo Cooper of Upton Hall”. On 6 December 1876, the Bramley was highly commended at the Royal Horticultural Society’s Fruit Committee exhibition.

In 1900, the original tree was knocked over during violent storms; it survived, and is still bearing fruit two centuries after it was planted.

1 Like

You don’t want to hear some of the things I could do with my knees Sheba…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

That was an interesting piece of information about Bramley apples, Foxy.

This bit about the first recorded sale gave me a shock - 3 Bramley apples for 2 shillings sounds very expensive for 1862.

1 Like

As I said “Australia’s gift to the world”, South Africa and New Zealand are part of the world. Pink Lady apples were developed in Australia by West Australia breeder John Cripps (I think he died this year)

I mean, just because your WiFi device was made in Germany or China doesn’t mean WiFi wasn’t invented in Australia and licence fee is paid to CSIRO.

Ones made into cider and come in a pint glass are the best

1 Like

I like braeburn. Pink lady and Jazz make my eyes water.

You’re not supposed to get people to throw them at you.

1 Like

Organic natural (or wild) apples :smiley:

In case anyone hasn’t tried it, honey and apple tastes a bit like toffee apples :lol:

Thanks Boot, yes, that would have been a lot of money in those days…
I remember watching Michael Portillo on one of his train journeys visit the place where the first Bramley Seedling was planted, so I googled it…

1 Like

I’m sick of all of you eating those apples each day, since you’ve kept the doctors away. :wink:

1 Like

Forget about the vaccines Dex, use natures natural defence…Apples!

1 Like

That and domestos aftershave.

3 Likes

That and a glass of red wine.

Crabs :+1:

1 Like

Not since I got married…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like