Hot Water Bottles!

I was looking at hot water bottles on Amazon yesterday Azz. I saw one going for 7.99 I think. I’m still sorely tempted, they do work really well although It’s been many years since I last used one.

3 Likes

You can buy microwavable hot something or other things, which will be less likely to scald yourself with, and will.probably be cheaper to heat up.

I also invested in an electric heat mat thing for when I’m outside in the log cabin doing online tuitions. About 55W, so cheap as chips to run and it does the trick nicely (cost about £30 from Amazon)

2 Likes

I have the Penguin of Death, which you can microwave. Also several hot water bottles…pack of 3 from Amazon

Pack of 3 Hot Water Bottles - Natural Rubber 2 Litre Capacity - 3 Colours in Pack (Red, Yellow and Blue) : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

2 Likes

I’d get one that is made of natural material and has a soft cover - I hated using the ones without a cover, they always seemed to go cold! The one I bought from M&S was made in Germany and has a padded fur type cover :smiley:

This looks like a nice cover:

It’s 100% cotton (I much prefer natural materials) so I’d be curious to hear what it’s like if anyone’s got one!

I couldn’t live without my hot water bottle, I even tuck it under my jacket, when I take Jack my dog out in this freezing weather.

You have to be careful though, as mine doesn’t have a cover, if I leave it on my side for too long, it leaves red mottled marks on my skin, I don’t like covers,as you don’t get the full benefit of the heat that these hot water bottles give out.

1 Like

Old-git. The same happened to my sister but it was a tin hot water bottle and it was my fault.
It happened when we were very young and sharing a bed. My mother had wrapped something around the tin hot water bottle but it came off. I pushed it over and it burned my sister’s leg. She still has the scar today.
It was like this one…

Just take care that you remember not to tuck Jack under your jacket and take the hot water bottle for a walk, Pauline. Heaven knows what the neighbours might think. :wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

How did her “tongue” come to be involved, if she burned her thigh?

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::sweat_smile:…I don’t need to tuck Jack under my jacket, to know what the neighbours think,…:joy::rofl::sweat_smile:… the hot water bottle just lately, is permanently by my side,:cold_face::joy:

Sadly, the chap posted it way back on 2010 so he may not be available to explain.

2 Likes

I had one a long time ago. I don’t like the potential for leaks. Even setting it up can be messy.

I started using corn bags heated in the microwave. It’s a moist heat that lasts for a while.

These days I’m enjoying my heated throw blanket that I heat up and turn off.

I don’t know which is more energy efficient. I still have to heat the water for the hot water bottle so not sure that would be saving me any energy costs.

In the winter, I put my hot water bottle in my bed at 8:30pm so it is nice and warm when I get in bed later.

I also use my hot water bottle to help ease pain.

I use one every winter and I keep one in my camper. The knitted covers they come with now make the hot water bottle a whole different prospect to the horrid feel of rubber. so obvious but such a long time coming.

When I was a child my grandmother still used a china one.

My Nan had one almost Identical to that, I used have it wrapped in a cardigan or jumper during winter visits. It would still be warm in the morning, very effective but not without risk.

Hadn’t used one for years but gone back to them this winter and really appreciate them.
Only £4 in Primark with a nice furry cover. (And a use by date too!)

I don’t use them, but I used to. I loved the rubbery smell of them when they were hot. It reminds me of my childhood Christmasses. I had the ones with the furry covers and they were great. I like the look of the much longer ones for sale, now, on Amazon/EBay. I might treat myself.

(I keep a hair dryer by the bed and, if it feels coldish between sleeps, I just blast warm air under the furry blanket and that lasts for a long time, too.)

I love my hot water bottle by my side, especially at night, when it’s freezing and the heating is off…I find it a great comfort,:heartpulse:

I’ve had this bottle at least 6 years.

1 Like

Oh gosh, yes!
Used both mine a lot this year, as I didn’t turn my heating on until a few days into December. They have cuddly covers, so are nice to hug.

I want mine to have a cover that is a honey-coloured Teddy, with a red ribbon around his neck, or I shall be vewy kwoss!

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: