Horlicks... Do You Ever Drink It?

I love Horlicks but not lately. Why have they made it so sweet? It was never so sweet before.
I used to say (jokingly), the only reason l ever went into hospital to have my five children was to have the Horlicks!
They would make it in one of those tall thin glass jars and use a type of plunger to mix it. It was gorgeous to drink!

These days, you don’t need to add water to the three large spoonfuls of Horlicks you put in a cup, you can now pour the milk straight in.
As l said, it is now sickly sweet , which is awful if you don’t take sugar in anything. Why do manufacturers change everything and ruin the taste?

So l ask… are you a Horlicks lover, or do you detest the stuff?

2 Likes

I quite like Horlicks, although I haven’t had it for a few years. I don’t know what the recent evolution is, to be honest, but the stuff I had was lovely.

1 Like

I hate it, mum gave me some when I was wee and I threw it up almost straight away. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Oh Roxy, Poor you! No wonder you were put off!

I know a lot of people who don’t like milk, detest Horlicks. I have always drunk loads of milk, so it suits me.
My mother used to give me, Bengers Food, l haven’t seen that for years… but l liked that too!
She also gave me Complan, if l had been unwell. I am not sure if that was milky too?

Yep it was the milk. :nauseated_face: Even today if I see anyone drinking milk my stomach heaves…shudder.

1 Like

When we visit Scarborough we pop into the harbour bar and have a knickerbocker glory and a horlicks ( not at the same time) we don’t go that often, but it’s a nice treat…

1 Like

When I was young we used to eat Horlicks tablets. It was the same malted milk powder pressed into a tablet form. It came in a glass bottle. It was one of my favorite snacks.

1 Like

It used to taste a bit like Maltesers, does it still?

Not for me, it’s the texture, I’m not fond of ‘thick’ drinks, Horlicks, hot chocolate, Ovaltine etc, I like my liquids thin and liquidy

Except for Baileys :rofl:

1 Like

No, I occasionally have Milo at bedtime but I am not that keen on these sugary drinks.

One of the things that irritates me about Milo is that after time the powder sets hard so I buy the smallest tin.

2 Likes

Hi

No, I do not like warm milk at all.

1 Like

I use it if I run out of Polyfilla!

1 Like

My children loved milo .
It’s the go to drink in hospitals in the Far East .

2 Likes

Me too Rox! I have always wondered why people like it, but I hate milk too so maybe it is me that is odd! :laughing:

1 Like

All cown to cost Artangel.
Same as most things, too sweet and over priced.

1 Like

Another of Australia’s gifts to the world :wink:

1 Like

I had forgotten about Milo. I used have that years ago, it was lovely.
I am amazed that it still exists too.

I hate all milky drinks… I even drink black tea and coffee

2 Likes

I remember Horlick tablets ,they were square shaped , came in a tube , wish they still did them
I haven’t had a Horlivka for years . You used to be able to order in cafes too .
Sometimes I think I’ll buy a jar but after reading Art’s description of it I most definitely will not .

1 Like

I love milk!
I make my porridge with milk in the microwave ,eat Weetabix and Alpen with warm milk as alternatives ,make my coffee half and half warm milk and hot water , drink milk cold .
You could say I inherited my love of milk from when I started school at the age of four and we had milk in small bottles to drink mid morning .
So much goodness in it

1 Like

I’m largely with you summer, check out Whittard of Chelsea.
Even I can’t resist a luxurious mug of their white hot chocolate.

2 Likes