Horlicks... Do You Ever Drink It?

It is funny, I never drank milk (though I do have milk in tea and coffee), when I was at school I never drank my third of a pint however in my dotage I have taken to having a hot glass of milk when I go to bed in winter.

The only exception was my Grandmother’s universal cure for every childhood ailment - a glass of scalded milk with a tablespoon of brandy. I have to say it worked every time. I still like the taste of scalded milk!

3 Likes

I think I did when a kid…
Also Ovaltine.
Prefer hot chocolate now.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I don’t recall it being sold here for decades.

I always associate it with SUGAR, SUGAR, & SUGAR even so many years ago & with a malty taste. As a kid it was ‘nice’

I guess it was one of those “evils of a forgone era”

I liked the MALT flavour - but let’s skip the sugar these days.

Mind you then the price would jump umpteen hundred percent ;-(

Never tried it.

Grief!
Horlicks… there’s a dim and distant memory.
I’ve never got into malt particularly. For a bedtime drink it’s more likely to be OXO or Bovril with a liberal sprinkling of pepper but that’s usually during the Autumn and Winter.

I love Horlicks but haven’t seen it in many shops, Sainsbury’s only had the chocolate one. I tried the 30p sachets and agree it did seem very sweet.

I’d love to drink more Horlicks, but agree it is too sugary.

My wife drinks Horlicks Lite (light blue label - sold in Asda). Can’t say if it’s less sweet because of not comparing it to ordinary Horlicks. Sounds as if it could be.

I used to buy Horlicks tablets to eat as sweets when I was a child. Not available now as far as I know, Maybe some site on the Internet has them.

I used to buy Horlick tablets too ! Showing our age methinks!
Can you remember Horlicks mugs ? Our local ice cream parlour used them.
I’ve drunk Horlicks lots of times it’s very comforting ,did it give me a headache? Forgotten why I haven’t carried on with it anyway . but I wouldn’t say no if someone offered me one .

Not had Horlicks for years & I loved those tablets too Mart & Zuleika.

Can’t stomach it…I hate all milky drinks…yuk!

1 Like

I’d love to drink it more but wish they’d reduce the sugar content.

1 Like

What’s scalded milk Bruce? I assume it’s milk that’s been boiled?

I used to like Horlicks but not had it for over 20 years. Ovaltine was nice as well.

Oh no, I want Horlicks now!!!

When I was in hospital, as an adult, they used to offer Horlicks at bedtime. It was wonderful and I then started buying it at home. No idea why I stopped but I must get some in. :wink:

1 Like

More or less, just from memory once milk is heated over something like 70° its taste changes, for example, Pasteurisation never takes milk above 65° so it doesn’t change the taste.

As I said I don’t mind the taste of scalded milk (I like it on my Shredded Wheat) but I wouldn’t want my tea or coffee made with it.

1 Like

:joy: The power of advertising eh!!

No, had it once when I was growing up and it was horrible, that was more than enough.

2 Likes

I don’t like milk to drink anymore. I have soya in tea, coffee or a late night cocoa. At scout camp we had a glug of brandy in cocoa in an enamel mug but that was a milk/water mix.