Hop my age in stairs

It had been over 4 years since I hopped this massive 68 stairs set on my 36er, and now at 66, this turned this turned out to be the hardest, most brutal challenge of my life! And the fact that it was 48 degrees with a wind chill making it feel 10 degrees colder, didn’t help! (I don’t have much body fat so I get cold very easy).

As soon as I mounted I knew it was going to be MUCH harder than last time, not just because it was cold and windy, and that I was out of practice, but also because I knew that age was catching up with me. But I pushed on. A second guy walking up behind me decided to go s different way which took some pressure off.

A bit more than halfway up I was literally gasping for oxygen as I passed the lactate threshold, and it felt like my 36-inch unicycle weighed 100 pounds! My balance seemed to be a bit off, and I accidentally hopped backwards three different times, luckily staying on, and ended up doing 70 hops total, running out of steam on the 67th out of 68 stairs.

It seemed to take forever to catch my breath and recover, but at least I did it and can now close the book on this crazy challenge…at least until I hit 70!

6 Likes

Well done @UniGeezer

1 Like

I would loved to have viewed that,Uni…unfortunately it wouldn’t let me,:pensive:

I wonder why? The link should work.

No idea, I will type the text into google , YouTube and you should come up., will let you know if it works,:+1::+1:

1 Like

Works ok my iPad :+1:

1 Like

Just found your channel, as a fitness freak myself, I know just how much effort you put into that…

WOW!!..amazing effort and stamina you put in there Terry…that bloke coming up behind you would have put me off…no way could I do that, …you look extremely fit though…:+1::+1::+1::+1:

Excellent and well done, great sense of achievement I bet,:+1:

1 Like

Thanks Pauline. Yeah it’s hard to hear in the video but I told the first guy to go ahead and pass me, and then he just ran the rest of the way to get out of my way. The second guy saw me and decided to go a different way which took a lot of pressure off.

2 Likes

You’re as fit as a youngster, in some cases probably fitter…excellent achievement!!..:+1::+1:

1 Like

Hi again Terry :grinning: congratulations on another great achievement! :clap:

I admire your determination!

2 Likes

Brilliant! What a great achievement, well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Man, Terry, I just feel good that I can hope up on a surfboard a dozen times during a surf session :laughing:. Impressive!

1 Like

Looking forward to watching the next challenge, Terry.:+1:

1 Like

wow Uni, you is fit man! Well done you, I’m knackered watching that! I m p r e s s e d muchly

1 Like

Thanks for the nice and encouraging comments.
My plan is to keep riding unicycles until “Father Time” tells me to stop… but by that time I’ll probably be too old to hear him anyway! :grin:

3 Likes

Look after your knees Terry and you may reach your goal one day in the future. :grinning:

How old were you,Terry, when you started riding unicycles?..

Mastering the balancing is probably the first thing one needs to learn,…determination will get you everywhere,:+1::+1:

Keep it up Terry…:+1:

1 Like

I learned as a kid, around age 11, back in 1967. Then after a couple years of breaking one uni after another— they were basically a novelty back then and not really built to last—I went on to other things, not rediscovering it until late 2005. Like a bike, I was surprised to find that I still remembered how to ride, and picked up where I left off.

1 Like