Have you tried ChatGPT?

I’ve been hearing so much about ChatGPT. Tonight, I saw someone writing about how they’re using it for their legal work. Youtubers are using it to create new recipes. Others are asking ChatGPT questions. I’ve been hearing more and more regular people using ChatGPT for different things.

I asked it to tell me something reassuring and positive. This is the response I got.

Have you tried ChatGPT?

Edit: I just found out that this version of ChatGPT is not official, and the official version is one you have to sign up for.

This is supposedly the official version. It requires a phone number. I’m not willing to sign up at this time because of that, so I’m not willing to try it. Has anyone else tried it?

1 Like

Tried it? I’ve never even heard of it and I’ve no intention of seeking to find out either.
A small collection of forums is enough for me and I intend to keep it this way.

3 Likes

ChatGPT will be coming to apps of mine anytime soon:

I’ll let you know when I’ve tried it … :wink:

It’s a bit late for me now but this would have been useful some years ago:

10 productive ways to use ChatGPT at work | DeskTime Blog.

In this article, we’ll take a look at 10 specific ways how ChatGPT can help you in your day-to-day to:

1. Summarize reports, meeting notes, and more
  2. Get inspiration – let ChatGPT help you brainstorm
  3. Use it to entertain yourself
  4. Enhance your research
  5. Analyze things – from briefs to vast amounts of data
  6. Write and polish content
  7. Outsource mundane tasks
  8. Translate texts and documents
  9. Use it to code better
  10. Plan your day and other things
1 Like

I’ve had an account for a while but haven’t really found anything it is really good at. I tried to get it coding in VBA but it wasn’t very good at that.

[quote="butterscotch, post:1, topic:96624]

I asked it to tell me something reassuring and positive. This is the response I got.

OMG :rofl::rofl:, it’s a platitude bot!

I’d like want to smack it in the mouth, if it had one!

2 Likes

They really need personality……

I think a Marvin the Paranoid Android Bot would work great on here :robot:

1 Like

My nomination would be Raspy the Arsey :hushed::wink::grin::+1:

1 Like

Yes, I have. I was recently introduced to AI, especially to ChatGPT, in a chat show that I regularly watch. A few days later my 10 y.o. grandson also asked me about it. I downloaded the available version to both my mobile and my notebook and gave it a try taking it for what it is: AI and not a human. I didn’t expect it to have a soul just as I don’t expect google to have one.

What I sort of liked was that it constantly reminds users that it’s a bot that can’t make judgements or voice an opinion. It just collects what’s known about a subject in a balanced way. Out of curiosity I used parts of its answers in a discussion and was amused that participants didn’t even notice that the text was not my own.

We have to accept that it will increasingly be used anyway. Rather than ignoring it as were a couple of other novelties, ChatGPT is being pro-actively included in the education of young people. The other day a teacher said in a chat show that he exposed his students to texts generated by the software and asked them to feed back what was wrongly stated in them. It’s that kind of critical awareness that young people will need given that such devices and others like deep fakes are going to be used by those who want to get rid of Western society as we know it.

1 Like

Chatgpt was banned in Italy in April over privacy concerns. Those concerns were worked out with Microsoft. ChatGPT is now available in Italy again.

I read in that article that Google has an equivalent AI called Bard. ChatGPT is the most popular at the moment. It will be interesting to see if Bard will overtake it like Google overtook Bing.

my son mentioned it to me and i have a friend who has a double masters in software engineering and networking, i sent her a paragraph asking if she had heard of it? and if so did she use it… i got the illuminating reply… sometimes…

It’s just a novelty that generates cliches and standard replies at the moment, isn’t it?

I asked it to write be a love poem in the style of Rudyard Kipling and got this:

In the darkest depths of life’s uncertain game,
Where hearts are won and lost in love’s bright flame,
There is a light that shines for all to see,
A love that blooms, unwavering and free.

It starts like a whisper, a gentle breeze,
A simple glance, a touch that does not cease,
Enveloping the heart with warmth and care,
And kindling flames that nothing can impair.

Love sharper than the edge of any sword,
Stronger than embattled strife or any lord,
Sweeter in its joys than any other thing,
A compass that true hearts forever sing.

For love’s unrelenting call we cannot fight,
Guiding us through life’s unyielding might,
An ever-burning fire in life’s essence,
Thawing even the frozen heart with its transcendence.

So let us embrace this love’s untainted flame,
That never bends, nor ever yields to pain,
For in its shining light we’ll find our way,
And love, forever bright, shall never fade away.

And then, just to be topical, I asked it to write me a poem about the Coronation in the style of Oscar Wilde and it produced this doggerel :rofl:

Oscar Wilde would be turning in his grave!

With crown upon his brow and scepter in his hand,
King Charles III sets foot upon the land.
The people gather, their hearts filled with awe,
As the land prepares for a new monarch’s law.

The grandeur and pomp that’s ever so fine,
Unfurls like silken sheets before the divine,
In elegant robes, King Charles III stands tall,
The cheers of the people, echoing with his call.

The trumpets sound, the music fills the air,
The people listen, the choir offering a prayer,
For the land, for the king, for the new beginning,
Their faces uplifted to the heavens, grinning.

With every step he takes, the king shows his might,
Graceful in his movements, a vision of regal sight,
Ever the lord and so just, the goodness in his soul,
Reaching the hearts of all, the people both young and old.

The coronation, a sign of hope and love,
A testament to the power and strength of the dove,
Embracing with a triumphant smile,
The future for which he had long toiled and labored a while.

To witness such beauty, the hearts of all rejoice,
As the new king takes his rightful place, the people’s choice,
May his reign be peaceful, a future bright and fair,
As King Charles III ascends to the throne with regal flare.

Last attempt, bored with it now, it just churns out recycled garbled stuff patched together

I asked it to write me a poem about the Coronation in the style of Pam Ayres!

Gather round folks, and listen to me,
For a jolly good tale I’ll weave with wiz’e and glee,
It’s about King Charles - he’s now on the throne,
And we’re all here to cheer and make him known.

There was grandeur and pomp, all the bell and whistles,
With the trumpets blaring and all the officials,
King Charles entered, so tall and fair,
And all the country folk, they stopped and stared.

The choir sang a tune that was quite divine,
And the guests present, they raised a glass of wine,
For a jolly good show it was, you’ll agree,
To welcome the new king in all his majesty.

The scepter he held, and a crown on his head,
The country folk cheered, they whistled and said,
‘Long may he reign and rule with grace,
And bring us peace to this great place.’

For the country they love, their king they adore,
And together they stood, cheering all the more,
With a glint in his eye, and a smile so grand,
King Charles III took the throne, the people’s brand.

So let’s raise our cups and toast to this king,
And the joy that coronations and grandeur bring,
The people united, one big happy family,
As King Charles III leads the nation with such majesty.

Oh my word!
:astonished:
Is this what the human race has come to…?

Perhaps, but some people are getting concerned.

One of the demands of the Writers Guild in the writer’s strike is limiting use of AI in script writing.

1 Like

I don’t think they need be. It has no soul and no inspiration and, like AI paintings, enhanced photos etc us human beings can instinctively sense it

And instinctively, it revolts us, The Uncanny Valley effect

1 Like

Can we? The judging panel of this Sony photography contest didn’t sense it.

1 Like

When citing sources of information, as is standard in academic work, it simply makes them up.

A fake academic reference from ChatGPT: Mousavi, S. N., Abbasian, S., Khosravi, N., & Asemi, Z. (2022). Timing of nutrient intake and exercise: A systematic review of current evidence and recommendations for future studies. [Note: This academic paper does not exist] Trends in Food Science & Technology, 118, 47-56. [Note: Page numbers are invented]|1024x406.4

“They look perfect - they’ve got the right names of authors, they’ve got the right names of journals, the titles all sound very sensible - they just don’t exist,” James says.

“If you’re not aware of how large language models work, you would be very easily fooled into thinking that these are genuine references.”

:thinking:

Prof Verena Rieser, a computer scientist at Heriot-Watt University who has been working in the AI field for two decades, says chatbots are still in the early stages of development and “can be used to generate misinformation at [a] scale which is obviously very concerning” when it comes to education.

Previous models of ChatGPT were not released because they were deemed “too dangerous”, she says.

“I would expect that we’ll soon see different flavours of ChatGPT by different companies out there and hopefully also safer models which actually mitigate for the possible dangers,” Verena says. “At this moment we don’t really know how to stop the models outputting information which is wrong or toxic or hateful - and that’s a big problem.”

:scream_cat:

2 Likes

Much the same could be said for Google. When you put in a search term, it picks up matches even if those are tongue in cheek or biased sources.

Critical analysis is still the cornerstone to research.

If students use ChatGPT with fake references, teachers will be able to spot them faster with a quick search.

2 Likes

Will teachers have the time to sift through all the references?

Probably not … they will have to utilise AI to speed up the process.

:wink:

3 Likes