Have you taken any acid suppression medicines?

Going back to June 2014 -

Still no problems - after 20+ years.
Usually now only take one 20mg daily.
If not, the belly-burn is not fun.

1 Like

Probably because you take it for acid reflux Pum, as I said in the beginning I was given it for something else, it probably works fine for the right thing, coming off it for any reason may not be easy though! :wink:

1 Like

Hello Azz I just joined today and I learned a lot from you acid reflux has been with me for years your information is going to take a long time to study thank you for what must have taken you a very long time and I want you to know I appreciate your hard work, I need to find out more re magnesium glycinate so I will keep researching, I know that what you say is the truth as I have been experimenting in the recent past, but there were so many gaps until I read your article it was a light bulb moment so thanks again Azz.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just read through this thread with interest as I have been taking omeprazole on and off for about four years. Originally took it for what were stomach ulcer type symptoms and then two years ago for a 3 month cough, which cleared up within a week of taking them. However, I felt generally unwell while I was taking them, although I didnā€™t attribute that to the meds at the time. They also slowed down my digestion. So Iā€™d just take one when I needed it, mainly at night to stop waking with a pain. Mid december I developed a really bad throat, chest infection, cough which felt like it was linked to irritation caused by too much wine, coffee and fizzy drinks and started taking them again. It was a bit of a disaster with my digestion seizing up. Instead Iā€™ve given up booze, coffee and fizzy drinks completely. Iā€™ve gone on a bland diet and drink lots more water. Guess what - the acid has finally cleared up and Iā€™m feeling so much better. Itā€™s taken a few weeks before I didnā€™t have to sleep sittingā€¦ I do think that the best thing is to try to sort this out through diet, relaxation and exercise as these pills may help but they do have side effects. My approach may not suit everyone as we all have different conditions but itā€™s worked for me. I have a good friend who is totally dependent on this med because whenever she tries to stop or reduce she is in agony. She is convinced itā€™s made her hair thin. I have another friend who had barrettā€™s oesophagus and he is also hooked on these, having taken them for about 15 years & he is extremely critical of them, particularly that you can get them otc. I am lucky enough to be able to stop. For most people it appears to be a life sentence. I do think doctors should warn patients of the consequences when prescribing. I am interested in ranitidine and how that is different as I would like to recommend my friend has a chat with her doctor.

1 Like

I gave them up very, very slowly, adding a bit more time between each dose.
I tried just stopping, I was drowning in acid with blood in it so I tried my own method. It took a long time but it worked!

1 Like

Tess I saw your journey. You went through absolute hell. Congrats on your escape! My friend has tried and cannot manage the withdrawal symptoms. You canā€™t even get smaller doses than 10mg from the GP even though they do make it at 5mg and 2.5mg.

1 Like

I broke the tablets in half at the end to get smaller doses :wink:
Ranitidine is what I take if I do get heartburn, not often thank goodness or Gaviscon.
Whatever suits you is best!

1 Like

Its interesting to read this, I used to suffer with this and tried the Gaviscon and other types of tablets or liquids you can take to ease this. I was also prescribed Omeprazole. It went away and I discovered through trial and error what was causing it. Pastry, Yep, every time I ate a sausage roll or a pie with a pastry base and top it gave me really bad acid and a burning filling.

No Pastry, No such feelings. Why ? Maybe its something to do with the ingredients.

Give it try and cut out Pastry and see if it is this with you.

Kindest Regards

60fox

1 Like

I had acid reflux and started taking pills for it. eventually diagnosed with highly inflamed gall bladder and internal inflamination. Took from feb to sept before I had the gall bladder removed afted 3 attacks resulting in going to hospital for a few weeks n total before finally the operation.

first acid reflux I thought it was a heart attack with shooting unbearable pain from stomach to chest

1 Like

Iā€™m no doctor or pharmacist. If it worked for you, thatā€™s great.

Others might choose to ask the pros before doing the same thing though.
Some tablets are coated - designed for slow-release over a 24 hour period.
Break it and you get the whole hit (or half hit) in one go.
Can be a bit ā€˜iffyā€™ with some pills.

1 Like

Now take a seat and hold on to something before you read this Pummy. . . .

I agree with you. :slight_smile:

They have a protective coating on for a reason, and shouldnā€™t be crushed or cut.

1 Like

the ones I have are capsules full of something like ā€œhundreds and thousandsā€

Youā€™d think the GP would be able to get hold of lower doses in 5mg. But apparently not so. Perhaps another conspiracy by drug companies to keep us hooked on meds.

1 Like

I was, at some point changed to Esomemprazole, Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re in different strengths.
The Dr. said they were a different strain of the same drug ( smoke and mirrors?) and worked differently.
I wish I could remember half of my pharmacy training!

1 Like

I had some dental surgery and despite telling the dentist I couldnā€™t tolerate ibruprofenā€¦wretched man lost my notes (I later sued himā€¦yes!!!) was given six ibruprofen and told to swallow them in one go.
I was in hell!
Eventually 30 mg lansoprazole kicked inā€¦ but I checked for another way to control the burning and strangely found a apple cider vinegar method with baking soda. I tried it, very cautiously, but it really worked Eventually got down to 10mg and then stoppedā€¦kept on with the apple cider vinegar for a time, then could stop that too.

1 Like

So lindy you managed to control acid completely with the apple vinegar? I have heard itā€™s wonderful, but when I tried it could not keep up taking it on a daily basis. It seemed to make my symptoms worse at the time, but maybe I was so damaged because I was drinking regularly that it wasnā€™t a good move then.

In my case completely stopping drinking alcohol and fizzy drinks has really helped. Not taking omeprazole has made me feel a whole lot better after the initial withdrawal symptoms. Itā€™s nice to be clean of medication and let your body take over. Itā€™s tough to not be able to drink booze though.

WHAT? :shock: Crikey Lindy, Iā€™ve never heard of such a thing.

1 Like

Annie, the book I mentioned earlier in the thread, explains about that. She says this is a good sign that it is beginning to work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mups thats interesting. Things always get worse when youā€™re healing I guess. Which page was the book mentioned as I would like to have a look?

So I might give it another go as I think I was just doing all the wrong things for my health last year - new leaf now! There was a lady on holiday with us a few years ago who swore by Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Sheā€™d had leaky gut cured by it. Kefir is meant to be really good. I was looking for kefir seeds on the web to ferment my own, but hard to find a trusted source.

They say your gut is your second brain so I wonder how much of the problem is also emotional. I know Iā€™ve had more reflux when stressed or upset.

1 Like

I took the apple cider vinegar with the omeprazole for a while until I could reduce the omeprazole, then eventually stopped that altogether. I started making a very weak version of the apple cider vinegar - perhaps less of that and more of the bicarb.
Iā€™ve been mostly clear of acid for years, just a bit from time to time, so carry some omeprazole with me in case of emergencies but havenā€™t had a prescription for more than six years.

1 Like

Lindyloo, Thank You so, so much for your tip about taking apple cider vinegar!
After reading your post yesterday, l went straight out to Holland and Barrett and bought some cider vinegar. I took it in water and last night l slept soundly without the discomfort l have been suffering lately. My symptoms were so bad, they even tested me for Ovarian Cancer.
I have to say, l didnā€™t know that there are different types of ACV and now after reading up about it, l wonder if l might have been better buying Organic ā€˜motherā€™ apple cider vinegar and not just the cider vinegar?
If you or anyone could advise, l would be most grateful.

1 Like