Have you ever saved someone life

I was fortunately at a previous home in the front drive. Next door a neighbour was up a ladder when it slipped and he put his hand through the window nearly severing his wrist
I managed to get him to hospital drive like a maniac to get there , drove straight to the ambulance entrance just as a couple of doctors were going in. They rushed him into surgery and it took hours work with the operation. I was told 5 minutes later and he would have died.
This hit me. Later on and I nearly passed out ,reaction set in.
Nothing for me to be proud of anyone else would have done the same

10 Likes

When I was working, I was rated as a 1st responder of the Emergency Plant organization. We torched out an accident victim who was a victim of a loose cover of a large diameter auger. He later returned to work after many months of rehab. We also responded to an Asthma attack victim but lacked the Heart Equipment to revive him. We soon had that Equipment also in every building for such an occasion.
We had 3 hours of paid time every month for training. Once had to Duct Tape a victim to a Stretcher
and lower him 100’ to the waiting Firemen / Ambulence for medical attention. Industrial stuff can be horrendous and immediate help is needed. Some were places not approved for human entrance. Fist bumps to all who respond to these emergienceis also.

5 Likes

No i never have realspeed. Well done to you - it must be a great feeling to know you have saved a life.

3 Likes

Gosh Husband saved our friend and neighbour by just calling an ambulance,…he had lite a fire in his Garden just two doors away with PETROL…his face was burnt and he was black scarred.
His treatment took many weeks to repair his face…but he survived

5 Likes

That’s the great thing about the Cell phone if it can work for us.

1 Like

I have, albeit unwittingly, purely by chance and a big dose of luck, long story short
I used to play Football (soccer), anyway, this Saturday i got an early morning call saying game off, waterlogged pitch, so i found myself with a rare morning to myself (bit of luck 1). sitting on my sofa, front door open ajar, windows open, plenty of airflow, suddenly i see my door being pushed open, it’s my 70+ year old neighbour, Robin, he was speaking extremely drunk, now i know he drinks but not that early in the morning, so i say ambulance?, he nodded, rang emergency services, explained what was happening, was asked to feel his back and neck to see if it was hot etc, the lady then said an ambulance was on it’s way and to stay on the line, literally minutes later, a first responder Paramedic turned up, he was just around the corner and heard the call go out (bit of luck 2), he took over, the ambulance turned up very soon after, and off he went to the Hospital (bit of luck 3)
It was a stroke, he survived, he made a recovery, although not full, was allowed to return home after a few months in intensive care, his life changed, but he was alive, and gratefull
He always says i saved his life, i told him i didn’t, i just happened to be at home that morning because annoyingly my footy game had been called off, he laughs about that often

6 Likes

I was about 14 years old when me and a friend went to the park during lunch break from school,when a child got out of his pushchair and fell into the lake,his mom just stood there screaming in shock,i jumped in and got him out.
And believe it or not i got into trouble with the head mistress for having to have a change of uniform.

7 Likes

No, I was on the other end and was the one who’s life was saved. I was 5 months pregnant but never felt right, sick, dizzy all the time. It was my day off work and my pal came round for coffee, I didn’t answer the door so she came in, found me on the kitchen floor in a growing pool of blood, I’d passed out and hit my head on the way down. I woke up in hospital later with the doctors telling me I was damn lucky I was found.
No longer pregnant and huge cut in my head.

1 Like

Being in the infantry, one deals with all kinds of injuries. Many life threatening injuries and twice as many plan ole injuries.
My opinion is if i had not helped, somebody else would of, And if you are not there first stay out of the way and if you don’t know what to do stay out of the way, don’t be in the way.

Anyway, me and two friend came home for lunch, from bailing hay. We were heading back and the neighbors daughter was running up the road crying, saying her brother fell in the pond.
It went through my head in a flash, that I had talked to their mom awhile back about, they could use my swimming pool and she had said they didn’t know how to swim.
I jumped out of the pickup, jumped over the fence and run across the field. I knew where the pond was at but the other two didn’t hear what the girl said and didn’t not live around there.
Anyway. Back to the story, I got to the pond and stopped, looked around and saw something black in the water, at first thinking it was an old tire, then figure it out in a flash, it was the kids pants. Dove into the pond and grabbed the kid and with still having forward momentum, got out on the far side of the pond.
I saw that his lips and eye lids were blue and knew that was from lack of oxygen in the blood. So, I made sure not excess of water was in his mouth and started CPR. Here is where I hit a glitch, I was trained on adults not children, I blow into his mouth and then started chest compressions. About the time Chris pulled up with the pickup and the other guy was on the phone with 911. When I started chest compression I thought of broke all his ribs and told Chris I didn’t know how to give CPR to kids and I think I broke his ribs. So Chris took over and and I could hear the ambulance running all around. So jumped back in the truck and chased down the ambulance. When I got back over there the kid was conscious and crying.

Told the ambulance people that I may of broke his ribs and they said that happens more time then you’d think.

5 Likes

Took a friend and her grandson shopping one afternoon, then dropped them off at home.
I went home, hubby was mowing lawn, and for some reason I said I was going back to my friend’s house for a glass of wine.
So glad I did…
The grandson found me in the driveway, said his grandma had a terrible headache! I found her trying to cope, sitting up and not wanting an ambulance. She was having blinding issues, couldn’t see, and I knew it was a brain bleed. I kept her upright in the chair, sent the boy out to watch for the ambulance so he didn’t see her in distress. I kept her talking. The ambulance couldn’t find the house, I called again; half hour later they arrived and took her to the hospital. They were able to stop the bleeding.
I reached her daughter (grandson’s mom), she came. That night I stayed with my friend in the hospital while the daughter went home to gather things for a stay.
Bottom line, my friend recovered enough to stay alive three more weeks, could say goodbye to her family. I visited her several times, too.
To this day, her daughter and I stayed friends, as she was so thankful for whatever made me return that day to see her mom! And to help her son so he didn’t have to deal with the trauma alone.
I’d never done that before…a nudge of fate.

6 Likes

Directly? No, although I’ve called the emergency services several times.

Christmas day, late 1970s, a kid got a new skateboard and spent the morning trundling down the path around the park opposite my parent’s place in Torquay,
Trundle down the hill, stop, walk back up, trundle down again.
Then on one run, instead of stopping, he fell off and went headfirst into a wall.
I ran up to him only to find he was spark-out on the pavement, so I shouted to my dad to call for an ambulance.
The kiddie was kept in hospital overnight but was otherwise okay. His mum and sister came by that evening to thank us. What? All I did was shout at my dad, oh, and tell his grandma not to take his helmet off but to wait and let the paramedics do it when she came barrel-assing down the hill shouting, “is he hurt bad?”

1 Like

Fuel pipe broke during a jet engine test and the fuel caught fire, so I called over the intercom, “The engine is on fire, we are evacuating, everybody out!,” to be greeted with the response, “Really.”
“Yes you effing moron, there are dirty great plumes of black smoke coming out of the test house intake and exhaust. LEG IT!”, then I called the Fire Brigade.
Oh how we laughed all the way to the laundry to clean our brown-stained trouserings as we crossed the roof with the fire passing underneath us before descending the sturdy old external iron escape ladder.

1 Like

I came across an unconscious woman by the side of the road. My friend who was driving said, “Should we stop?” Other people had stopped already so I said, “No, there is a garage over there. We’ll go and call for an ambulance instead.”

I thumped my Lovely Cousin on the back several times in a restaurant when she was choking to get her breathing again.

I thumped my Aunt eight times on the back to get her breathing again after she choked when taking a tablet with water. This was after my Lovely Cousin had already thumped her four times on the back. She had a sore back with a large, red hand-print for several days afterwards.

1 Like

Well done :+1:

1 Like

I cannot know if I have saved a life or not, but if I chance upon someone in obvious destress health-wise, I cannot pass without offering help. It is all part of being human and also not harden our hearts nor close our hands to the needy. The injunction to heal is for Jews and non-Jews alike. The last time I engaged a heavilly fallen lady, I did all I could until the ambulance arrived and we have been friends since she was discharged from hospital. As it turned out she had a severely lacerated leg from broken bones and also on warfarin, so perhaps my actions did go some way in keeping her alive :man_shrugging:

2 Likes