Have You Ever Eaten Wagyu Beef/Beefburgers?

A friend came to visit me at the weekend and help me with my garden. He brought some Wagyu Beefburgers. I had never heard of Wagyu beef before and imagined something awful!
Instead, l was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the Beefburgers were.

I googled Wagyu beef and discovered it is usually sourced from Japanese cattle and the meat is marbled.
It is supposed to be better for you than normal beef but is more expensive.

So l ask, have you heard of Wagyu beef and tried it?

Is that the beef where the cows are forcefed bottles of guinness to flavour their meat? I saw a video of that happening recently.

And no, in answer to your question, I haven’t and I wouldn’t. I’m not a meat eater so nope.

I’ve never tried the steak, but yes, I buy the burgers for when we have a barbecue. They are very nice, not too fatty with a good flavour

I’ve never heard of Wagyu beef before.
I’ve just done a little window shopping online and the range of prices is staggering.
The steak looks well marbled so I guess the flavour would be rather pleasing.

It is very expensive and you do have to be careful where you buy it because it has been linked with animal cruelty in the past

I buy Finnebrogue burgers, £4.50 for two and it’s from 100% grass fed animals who live outside, not force fed beer. They are really nice.

1 Like

Thanks Maree,

You’ve just given me two reasons to give them a go.

I have heard of Wagyu Beef - it’s the muscle from specific breeds of Japanese Cattle, which is liberally marbled with fat.
The real stuff from Japan, “Kobe Beef” is very expensive - I think it can only be called Kobe if it is produced in Japan in the traditional ways.
I don’t think they are treated cruelly - probably treated better than our domestic cattle to keep them stress-free for tenderer meat.

Then there is cheaper Wagyu meat that is produced in other countries, using cattle bred from Japanese Cattle, sometimes interbred with other beef cattle - I think the bloodline has to be at least 50% of the Japanese bloodline to call the meat Wagyu.

I have never tasted it because I do not eat meat but someone once told me that if you were to describe Wagyu in terms of sparkling wine, Kobe Beef would be the best champagne, whilst the meat from cross-breed cattle sold as Wagyu is more in the range of a mid-market prosecco.

2 Likes

Yes, these cattle are indeed fed beer, 1 - 2 bottles per day - and wine too, so some say

The reason it so expensive is because the calves arre kept on for about twice as long as other calves before slaughter.

I should imagine if the poor things are half-pickled every day of their life, they couldn’t care less when they’re slaughtered!

It also seems that not all beef sold as Wagyu is genuine. As long as beef contains only 46% of that breed of cattle, they are allowed to call it ‘Wagyu.’

2 Likes

An informative post.
It’s the mid-market prosecco for me.

1 Like

To be honest, I usually prefer a nice, “buttery” Prosecco above some champagne! :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

I have heard of it but not tried it - prefer to make my own burgers.

You’ll love it, it’s great and I wouldn’t fancy eating the Kobe stuff anyway, what with the question mark over the cruelty and the price, it’s a bit decadent, like that gold leaf steak everyone was on about a while ago

Finnebrogue are an ethical company with good quality products but not ridiculously expensive, I buy their stuff quite a lot

Did I ever mention I prefer a really good cider to champagne? :rofl:

1 Like

They sell the very same burgers in Sainsbury’s also at 4.50.
That’s it then, it’s got to be done!
We have a very decent Sainsbury’s close by so it’s a goer.
I’m not entirely sure about the cider thing, grief I can’t remember the last time I drank champagne , maybe I’ll just settle for a bottle of Cava.

Is it just me or is this topic becoming just a tad booze oriented :wink:

1 Like

I think it might be me who’s booze orientated, not the topic :rofl:

Getting back to the beef itself, it’s the marbelling effect that would put me off.
I can’t bear fat on meat, and I know, that to see all those white streaks running through the raw meat would put me off, so I guess I’d never get to know what it tasted like.

1 Like

With Wagyu meat, the fat is not like the fat on British Beef.
Most of the fat is unsaturated fat (healthier than saturated fats) and melts at a very low temperature, so you won’t be eating it as solid fat when the meat is cooked.
I am told that this unique fat marbling is very different from the fat marbling in British Beef - and it is what gives the meat a buttery flavour and melt in the mouth texture.

(I’m a veggie, so the thought of eating beef does nothing for me - but when I’ve heard people describing how Wagyu tastes, it does sound very different to British Beef steaks.)

Thanks Boot, but like I said, If I saw it raw, the look would put me off trying it.
I suppose if I didn’t see it until it was cooked, I might enjoy it, but I still do not like the idea of giving any animals alcohol.

1 Like

I have heard of them but don

I shall try again.
I have heard of them,but i dont fancy the idea of eating one.
Ironicaly,i made my own beef burgers for dinner this evening,at least i know what goes into them.

1 Like

Yep it was quite trendy here for a while apparently Australia has herds of them, even Maccas had a Wagyu burger.

The fad has passed and now it is all Angus Beef

1 Like