Have you ever been on a Cruise on a large Liner?

Where did you go?
I have only been on one. In 1980 I went on the Fairstar out of Sydney to the Fijian Islands, The ports of call being, The Capital, Suva, on the Island of Viti Levu. Savu Savu, on Vanua Levu Island. Lautoka, Nadi, (pronounced Nandi), Port Vila, Island of Vanuatu, Noumea, on the French Island of Grand Terre.

Last Christmasā€¦ and to the same area as you

I am not keen on cruising but needs must.

In 1968 I went to the UK on the P&O Liner Himalaya but that wasnā€™t really a cruise.

1 Like

I think they should totally reduce the number of cruise ships permitted to operate. The tourists swamp resorts, then go back on a ship which proceeds to pump their sewage into the oceans. We are under pressure as individuals to reduce our carbon footprint, but it would be far more effective to just reduce cruises.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think that is true these cruise ships tertiary treat sewage, I think you are confusing them with the UK water companies :wink:

(I canā€™t believe I am defending cruise companies)

2 Likes

Wow, what a comprehensive narration of your cruise. Thank you for sharing.

Itā€™s more about where the sewage is going. These ships go into virgin territory ecologically speaking, if that makes sense. The mess we make along our already tarnished British coastline vs eco balance being messed up in otherwise pristine waters in the middle of nowhere where rare species exist. Nowhere is safe from human destruction.

1 Like

The towel arrangements were the best bit for me, hilarious!

1 Like

Imagine someone - crew member - folding all those towels on a daily basis. :grinning:

Quite ā€¦

Iā€™m not a sociable sort so cruise ships donā€™t appeal to me.
The longest Iā€™ve been at sea are the trips Iā€™ve taken from Dover to Calais.

I have an aunt whoā€™s seen a lot of the world on them though with her gang of oldies.They are ideal for her generation.

1 Like

The problem with quoting year old newspaper articles is that they are just that - over a year old and out of date.

1 Like

That sounds like me too but I was surprised how many people approached me on the last cruise and chatted. It worried me that I might not be able to shake off the over sharing types but in the event that never happened. People would chat over lunch for example and then I would never see them again which suited me.

Having said that I canā€™t see me ever going on another cruise however I said that after the only other cruise I have been on and that one was with a family group celebrating their 30th birthday which I was press ganged into :wink: .

1 Like

The rules ban the discharge of sewage and so-called greywater - the drainage from sinks, laundry machines, bathtubs and showers - within three nautical miles of Canadian shores.

Additionally, ships in non-Arctic waters will have to strengthen the treatments of sewage and greywater dumped between three and 12 nautical miles from shore. Separate rules regulate cruise ship pollution in Arctic waters.

Canadaā€™s efforts cover non-Arctic offshore only.

The rules apply to Canadaā€™s waters below the Arctic region prohibiting the discharge of greywater or treated sewage within three nautical miles from shore where geographically possible.

Canada is, in effect, saying NIMBY - take it round the corner, thereā€™s lots of open ocean there.

1 Like

I love cruisingā€¦I usually go on smaller ships but we decided to try one of the larger ships sailing to the med earlier this year

We chose the P&O Arvia a ship that hosts 5200 passengersā€¦I know everyone has different tastes when it comes to holidays so Iā€™m sorry if this is one of your favourites but have to say it really wasnā€™t for us and we wonā€™t be going on such a large ship ever againā€¦floating Butlins comes to mind.

2 Likes

Its amazing, folks will willingly hop on a Ship after the recent Covid debacle :icon_surprised:

No large ships for me, have done smaller 12 passenger types, loved the wild life cruises around the hebridean islands and have been out to St Kilda, wonderfull

1 Like

You would not entice me onto a cruise ship even if the passage and food was free and spending money was provided. I can imagine nothing worse that to be on a floating ā€˜islandā€™ with people I have little in common with or any wish to engage in conversation. Five decades ago I might have considered running an on-board band on a large ship and maybe even singing, but that would be as far as I would commit.

2 Likes

We have been on several cruise and have just booked another for December to visit European Christmas Markets. I see the advantages as being able to start your holiday the moment youā€™re on board, as opposed to travelling miles and then starting your holiday. Always found the food as amazing, as is the entertainmentsā€¦and ā€œMrs Grahamā€ loves the dressey-up night as an excuse to wear all her jewellery and stuff.

Couldnā€™t do them all the time, as they are expensive. But they make a good alternative to coach holidays or flying for hours on end.

1 Like

Wow! Something we completely agree on Grahamā€¦
:+1:

I loved Butlins as a pre and young teen and Butlins with less to do was exactly what cruising reminded me of the first time I went on a cruise ship.

As I mentioned on my first cruise I went with a group some of whom had young kids, Discussing it with them they suggested that it was actually a cheap holiday, something they would do with their kids between between ā€œrealā€ holidays because the kids are taken care of (it wasnā€™t cheap for me I had a suite, my balcony was bigger than most peopleā€™s cabin)

On my Christmas cruise I thought it a cheap holiday too, at the time it was cheaper than the return airfare to Asia (which was my first preference) even though I had a balcony cabin to myself. I think that cruising is regarded as a cheap but good value holiday.

2 Likes