Have You Ever Been Carsick?

I had never been carsick in my life until 18 months ago and this week when l travelled up to Lancashire.

Each time it has been in a Diesel run car. The first time was when l sat in the front. This time, l sat in the back of the car.
Thank Goodness, l had put the gifts l was taking, in a plastic bag!

I am never sick and rarely suffer tummy upsets/virus’s.

So l ask, have you ever suffered with car sickness?

No, but have been sick of some of the cars I have owned.

1 Like

I am a good traveller when driving but not a good passenger in cars; horrible feeling. Also cannot travel with my back to the engine on a train.

1 Like

When I was younger, I felt queasy a lot when I traveled. As I got older, I had a bit more control, so I could ask to stop if I wasn’t feeling well. I’ve been a lot less carsick as I got older.

1 Like

No, but my youngest son used to start throwing up before we got to the end of our road :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Yes I am often car sick especially if I am on a mountain twisting road .

1 Like

Car sick? No. Seasick though. The most awful feeling imaginable.

1 Like

My sister was like that!

My brother - in the Royal Navy - was seasick for a couple of days every time they left port.

I, thankfully, am a good traveller in cars, trains, boats and planes.

1 Like

Kazz, l am the same on a train. It just feels so unnatural to be going backwards on a forward journey.

I seem to have gone in the other direction. I was never carsick as a child.

2 Likes

Art, I used to suffer terrible travel sickness, I could only travel into town so far, once I started feeling queasy, I had to get off ( bus) two or three stops early, I was never actually sick, just felt awful, although, when I was at school, we went pot holing with the army, my mate was actually sick down the back of the land rover, once I saw and heard him I threw up too, the one and only time I’ve ever done it, I’m much much better now though, I think it was when I started driving, I’m even ok as a passenger but don’t ask me to map read, if I look down the old feeling comes back……

1 Like

Ahhh, the poor little kid.
My sister was always carsick. I remember her having to clutch a penny as it was thought to prevent car sickness. It didn’t work.
I remember some people used to put a chain underneath the car. I think it had to touch the ground?

1 Like

Oh Muddy, l commiserate. It’s the most horrid feeling and the more you try to stop it, the more it gathers… then ejects!

Cigarette smoke always makes me feel sick . The anxiety of traveling by bus train or plane ( especially ) with smokers was terrible . I am so relieved that smoking is no longer allowed on public transport .

1 Like

I agree about that - no-one was/is ever allowed to smoke in my house.

1 Like

I always used to get car sick when I was a child.
I don’t know if it was the car itself, or Dad’s driving. :grinning:

I suspect it was really because I had to sit in the back and you feel more movement there apparently.
I still prefer to sit in the front if possible, even now.

I always feel sorry for dogs that are stuck behind the back seat of some cars, some with hardly room to sit up straight because of the sloping back window. They must be scorching on hot days with their head practically on the rear glass.
Meanwhile, the drivers going along with his window down, often with his arm dangling outside and the wind in his hair, while his poor dog is nearly suffocating at the back, let alone feeling every single bend of the road much worse!

1 Like

I agree too. I do not like the smell of snoke at all, whether it be cigarettes, cigars, or even bonfires!
I don’t like the smell of it on people even, let alone in my house.

2 Likes

Mups, just sayin, there weren’t many Hers in that post! :smiley:

1 Like

In days of yore I have had more public rows over smoking than anything else .
Smokers always want to smoke in none smoking areas .

1 Like

TAT, sea sickness is horrible too.
I remember being on the boat, the Innisfallon going to Ireland in the school summer holiday.
Cheese and Onion crisps had just been introduced for the first time and we all had a packet of them. The Irish Sea was so rough and my brother kept chanting, ‘Up and down’ as the boat went over the high waves. That was it, up came the cheese and onion crisps and l never ate them again for years after.