Have been given an unusual Cookery Book!

It is called “Pure and Simple” and has 108 vegetarian recipes. They are very different from any other recipes I have seen - and look delicious. It is beautifully illustrated and the instructions are very clear. Couldn’t wait to try this one - had it for my tea - and it was really scrumptious!

img010 (2)
img011 (2)

2 Likes

Ooh I say, that looks rather scrummy, Tabs. :+1:

1 Like

It certainly was, Mups, it is something I will make again!

Did you take that picture, or is it from the recipe page?
It’s a good clear and colourful photo anyway.

It is from the recipe book - it is beautifully illustrated.

What time would you like us all to arrive tomorrow? :grin:

2 Likes

I make no comment.

2 Likes

Wow, Bruce, I have known people who collected ‘roadkill’ but this is the first time I have seen a recipe book for it!

I could never bring myself to eat road kill. Partly because how would you know how long it had been lying there - perhaps in the sun, with God knows what sniffing round it or peeing on it?
And secondly, how do you know the creature had been healthy to start with?
It might have had disease and that is why it couldnt get out the way of the vehicle in the first place.
No thanks Bruce, not for me.

3 Likes

My husband gave me on a few xmas’s ago…every recipe contained beer!

I like the look of that book Tabby, will tell my veggie daughter about it. Her daughter is a very very fussy eater, but I’m sure there’d be loads in here that she’d like, or could adapt. The tomato cheese stew, for instance, she could leave the peppers out and put sweetcorn in and bits of quorn ham - that would probably be acceptable for fussy madam :roll_eyes: :joy: I might give that recipe a go myself later, thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

@SilverTabby can you upload a photo of the front cover please? Because the only book I can find called Pure and Simple is one by Pascale Naessens, with around 60 recipes including meat and fish dishes too :thinking:

Oh, I think I’ve found it now - by Manju Patel?

That’s the one - it is really good as the recipes are so different from the usual veggie dishes.

Cookery book

3 Likes

Great vegetarian cookbook ST :slight_smile:

Thanks Tabby! Will definitely get this one :023:

Funny thing is I can’t find it on Amazon.
There are lots of books and other things called Pure and Simple but not that one.
So I googled Brahma Kumaris and it’s not a person/cook but a religious movement.
How fascinating!

Oh, just seen this…clever you Bathsheba, where did you find it?!
Ordered now thanks :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

Amazon. Pure and Simple - Cooking for A Busy Lifestyle: Amazon.co.uk: Patel, Manju, Polater, Isik: 9781886872509: Books

1 Like

Ruthio, they are Indian people. Their philosophy is to be gentle, kind, and tolerant.
They practice a lot of Yoga and Meditation.

This is a small quote about their beliefs on their cooking recipes:

" Manju and Isik bring together a wealth of recipes – worldwide favourites from East and West. Both are practical cooks and long-time meditators.
They both believe that preparing each dish in a spirit of careful, caring attentiveness adds more than just flavour to the food; food prepared in this way feeds the body and nourishes the spirit. "

The book part of their website is here:

1 Like

Mags, did I read that right???

That Amazon link said the book from new, was £130.99 !!!

1 Like

Yes Mups, I noticed that too! The used versions are quite cheap though.

Maybe they were a Limited Edition when they were first published.