Has the Good Morning thread lost its way?

There doesn’t seem to be the interest in the Good Morning thread these days that there used to be. For the past few weeks we’ve been lucky to reach 15 or 16 responses, so far today only 5. And there have been a few days where it hasn’t appeared at all.

Back in the early days of this new site we regularly had figures in the 20s and 30s, but that’s rare now.

Why do you think this is? Is it because people have just lost interest? Or is it because it’s not being started very early in the morning as it used to be? (Sorry, that won’t ever be me, haha, because I get up too late!).

I for one would think it a shame if this tradition died a death :frowning_face:. Anyone else agree?

2 Likes

Have to admit I havent been posting on it recently and I used to post most days… my excuse is I’ve been busy in real life but it only takes a few minutes doesn’t it and I agree it would be a shame if it disappeared… I must do better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do think the earlier it is started then the more interest it will generate and I agree, it would be a shame to lose it. :persevere:

I am always up at the crack of dawn every day so could easily start it and sometimes do, but I would hate to think that I was monopolising the task and that others would be put off from doing it, as has happened in the past when one member starts it frequently… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone would object Barry, to be fair. If we get fed up with you doing it we’ll shout :wink: :joy:

1 Like

I wasn’t volunteering Bathsheba, I would prefer it if everyone felt able to do it if it hadn’t appeared…

1 Like

I don’t think it’s fair to expect Barry to start it every day. As he has rightly said before, anyone can do it. I sometimes do, but often I run out of time in the mornings. Holly might demand a walk while I am on the iPad, going through social media, then I forget.

The other reason I am reluctant to do it is because most times I am on my iPad. When I start a thread, the text box shrinks so I can’t see what I am typing. I then have to say just a few words, then do a reply post. It’s something I don’t understand about this site. No, never had a problem on the old one.

2 Likes

Might it also be because most of us haven’t got many exciting adventures planned each day?
I myself, often repeat much the same as the previous day . . . . Eg. " Dogs been out, wild birds fed, nothing exciting planned just household chores … "
Boring.

Perhaps when the weather warms up and we can get out a bit more, and maybe holidays can start, maybe then we will be bursting with news. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I also think people could be reluctant to start the thread because you’ve got to have the patience of a Saint to work out how to do it now!
Too fiddly by half.

4 Likes

Also people are using the chit chat thread to say good morning. So numbers maybe split across the two? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I used to start it occasionally but my posts kept being ‘edited’ with no reason given - I concluded I must being doing it wrong - so stopped.

3 Likes

Also people are using the chit chat thread to say good morning. So numbers maybe split across the two?

Could well be, Chill
They chat in that thread each morning, same as others do in the Last To Post thread.
Perhaps some feel we dont need a third similar thread?

1 Like

when i first came on site i did post, short and simple post, but it appears some knew each other using first names, and gave a days history rather than a good morning, made you feel out of it

2 Likes

I have never understood that - members create fun user names for themselves then people go and reveal their real names. What is the point of user names then?

2 Likes

Aaw, poor Macy . . . :hugs: cuddle cuddle. .

I agree @Mups ,starting a thread now does seem incredibly fiddly particularly on the tablet when most of the screen is covered by the keyboard… :unamused:

3 Likes

Firstly, sorry I have been away from this thread - dinner duties!
@Barry I didn’t imagine you were volunteering, nor was I expecting you to do it. I was merely responding to your post, intending it be a bit jokey.

A lot of good points on here - the difficulty for some in starting any new thread, the complexities entailed, e.g. category, tags and so on. I totally understand that for many this site doesn’t make starting new threads easy. The sheer boringness of saying the same old same old day in day out - yeah I get that, lol! And the chit chat thread - must admit it’s not a thread I generally participate in. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever looked at it - maybe I will now :wink:.

Perhaps it is time to let the GM thread go. I’m not going to bother starting it again. I’ll see you all on the chit chat one :wave:

2 Likes

It used to start about mid arvo for me but recently the day is just about over and I am thinking of going to bed by the time someone starts it.

I could start the thread (and do on special occasions) but then people in recessive zones complain that it is still yesterday. :wink:

3 Likes

I always feel as if I’m a bit of an intruder on those threads. You’ve known each other for a long time and about each other’s lives and I don’t want to be a butt in

Does there have to be a new Good Morning thread started for each day or could it just be one thread that just carries on every day?

3 Likes

Yes, it does make it difficult with such different time zones, I agree.

[quote=“Maree, post:18, topic:88468, full:true”]
I always feel as if I’m a bit of an intruder on those threads. You’ve known each other for a long time and about each other’s lives and I don’t want to be a butt in [/quote]

But we haven’t all known each other for ages - I’ve been a member for less than a year. Please don’t ever feel you’re an intruder! If you are, then we all were once!!

Actually that’s not a bad idea. Bit like the ‘goodnight’ thread - that one’s ongoing, it’s not a different one for each day! I think you might have cracked it!

1 Like