Has anyone tried Soapnuts?

Fabric softener causes black mould. I switched to White Vinegar and the mould has not returned.

3 Likes

I haven’t used either yet but I’ve been thinking about it.

I found this comparison between soap nuts and Eco-eggs

I do like to wash my bed linen and towels on 60°C, so maybe soap nuts would be better? And they sound more versatile - I like the idea of making shampoo and body wash with them too.
As my bedding and towels are all white, I would have to consider that both of these options are not good at keeping things white - it’s OK when you can get laundry out to dry and bleach in the sunshine but it may need something extra in the UK Winter months?

Maybe this current heatwave is the best time to try them out - while the sunshine can keep my whites sparkling white!

1 Like

I enjoyed reading that, Boot, thanks! I think personally…I like the versatility of the soapnuts, and while the eco-egg sounds great, its a bit weird having “eco” and “plastic” together :thinking:

How do your clothes smell after using that? Also how much do you use?

1 Like

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

Could Fabric Softener be damaging your clothes?

Fabric conditioner (or softener) is designed to eliminate static electricty and make clothes softer to the touch. They also impart a fragrance. They work by leaving small amounts of chemicals on the surface of the garments. But do you actually need to use it? Is it worth the extra expense? Here are some of the arguments against using it:

It can accumulate in washing machines, providing a breeding ground for bacteria, resulting in odours.
It clogs the fibres of towelling products, making them stiffer over time
They are heavily fragranced - one of the biggest causes of skin irritation.

This could be why sales of fabric softener are on the decline. This is partly because increasing number of people are concerned about the number of chemicals being used in the home and the possible effects on the body.

The laundry aisle is increasingly full of artificial HEAVILY SCENTED laundry products. There is an alternative!

The alternative to fabric conditioner

Another reason clothes like towels can feel hard is residual elements from hard water that can be left if the water hasn’t been softened sufficiently. Soda Crystals soften water in the main wash. White Vinegar can then be used in place of fabric conditioner. It removes static electricity but also helps remove any residual minerals and helps keep the washing machine clean too. It can also help keep your colours vibrant by helping prevent pigment dyes bleeding. You can also save money and avoid the use of plastic altogher by dissolving some Citric Acid to make a handy white vinegar substitute.

You can add a couple of drops of essential oil if you do want a fragrance.

I use 100ml in the conditioner drawer.

The slight smell disappears with drying and, as the manufacturers suggest, a fragrance may be introduced.

Towels may not be as (artificially) soft but there’s advice on that, too, on the site.

2 Likes

Unless you are working down the mines how much washing powder do you need ?
I have one of the eggs that I use for light soil but most of my clothes are light soil do if necessary I use any old non biological washing stuff .
I mostly use the 15 min cycle on the washing machine . Drying in the sun kills off most germs and gives a nice fresh smell too .

1 Like

Oh I do a 15 minute “rapid” cycle too for most of my stuff. The dogs towels and bedding gets put on a hotter wash for 48 mins. Everything dried outside when the weather suits. :+1: The smell is divine.

I have a stained tablecloth, a lovely one that I bought in Italy a few years ago. It’s covered in a lavender print. I will see whether some vinegar will remove the coffee/tea stain.

I use that one a lot too but wondering how “eco” it is. The dishwasher eco cycle is about 3 hours.

It’s basically short and cool.

Bloody hell!

Just like me…I suppose it’s a bit late to change my username? Eco Cycle , yeah I could live with that :wink:

I puzzled about that too, but a friend assured me that the 3hr cycle actually uses far less energy than the fast 27minute cycle.
Still seems strange to me, but I run it at night ( the 3hr one)

I mostly use the lower temperature cycles, except for when I am doing towels and sheets, which I usually do on 60°.
Then every so often to kill any smells and and bacteria, I run the 90° drum cleaning cycle (no washing in it, of course).

Okay, I’m almost ready to commit!
Amazon have 300g bags on offer for £4.50
At risk of coming across as a bit of a saddo of I really do appreciate pleasant fragrances, there are cinnamon joss sticks burning on the balcony as I type, I’ve also got into the habit of dousing myself in Duru Turkish lemon cologne, I usually carry a small bottle around with me.

Anyway, back to point, I bet if I were to add two or three drops of essential lavender oil into one of the nuts before washing that would provide a pleasing result as far as nice pongs are concerned.

Yeah, think I’ll go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yaaay! Go for it Chilliboot!

I love incense as well and generally have a few on the go in different places. I haven’t this morning because the windows are shut and I don’t want the dog getting ill.

(digressing on my own thread here, oops! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: )

1 Like

The deed is done!
It’s actually a 300g bag rather than 500g as I originally posted. Arriving on Friday.

Nothing wrong with digressing on your own thread :wink:

1 Like

Are you able to edit it at all…just in case Amazon gets inundated with orders! :joy: No big deal if you have timed out on that, since you corrected it later on, mind you.

Also…let us know what you think :+1:

Edited!

I shall indeed let you know how it goes, if my clothes smell all nutty and rancid I shall be very, very cross :wink:

1 Like

If the squirrels start following you around…please take photos! :joy:

(kidding)

2 Likes

If the squirrels start following me around I’m gonna run, don’t care how hot it is!