Has anyone tried Soapnuts?

Due to the recent cost of living rises, I have been thinking of ways to reduce my budget. One big expense I’m finding is laundry powder. The budget buys aren’t effective at getting the things clean enough, and laundry pods are very expensive!

So, having tried these before, I thought I would get a larger bag (which should last me about 6 months).

They are actually nuts (or soap berries), which look a bit like Lychees and you only use 4 or 5 of them in a wash. They can be used a few times over, before losing their potency…and you can use them for washing yourself, or the dishes even! This 1kg bag cost £13, which is far far less than I would spend on regular soap powder over the course of 6 months.

Plus they are completely natural, and very eco-friendly. They don’t smell of anything really, even after using them…which could be good or bad depending on your need to smell nice. They do work though, and they clean dog blankets very well, which is my main source of angst!

1 Like

I suppose that depends on how much you use for each full load wash. I discovered yonks ago that approx half the suggested (own brand Bio product) amount gave exactly the same finished wash as the full amount. I’ve been using half the amount for at least the last 7 maybe 8ys and I’ve not had any complaints

4 Likes

@PixieKnuckles ,. Ooooerr!!. They look just like whelks ??
Are they alive or what!!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Nooo, not alive. They are dried husks. The fleshy inside of them gets scooped out to make soap and the residue is inside. :smiley: But its very potent, which is why you don’t need very many and they last over and over again.

I suppose I might consider using them in tandem with the usual brands of detergent.
I like my t shirts/shirts to be whiter than white, I’m not sure soapnuts are up to that:-)

1 Like

They get the dirt and stains out, but they don’t bleach anything. Your “whiter than white” is a bleaching agent.

I think if you use these together with a regular detergent, it will cancel out their natural cleaning attributes. Which would be such a shame :frowning:

They come in a little cloth bag that you have to use within the washing. You can’t just chuck a few nuts in the wash, or you’ll be picking bits out of your clothes for weeks!

1 Like

Yes LD I do use less than recommended and on a lower temperature, because we have soft water up here so its better.

I just wanted to save some money :+1:

2 Likes

They remind me of cicada’s just before they hatch :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Sorry PixieKnuckles, my fault, I didn’t put that very well.
What I meant was keep using the detergents with the bleach/blueing agents for certain things and giving the soapnuts a go for others, defo not together at the same time:-)

1 Like

Ahhh, yes, I understand now :smiley: That’s a good idea - I think you can get trial packs from eco shops just to try out. That’s how I first discovered them. :+1:

1 Like

I have allergies so I use allergy friendly detergents and cleaning products.

1 Like

I have never heard of Soapnuts but if they work…why not!

I think some people put far too much washing product in their washing machines. You can smell the strength of it when they pass you in the street.

I use Fairy non bio powder now, as l am allergic to the strong ones. I bought a 140 wash box from Costco… it will probably see me out! Ha!

I was bought a box of GuyLian chocolate last weekend. They look very similar…

1 Like

The amount of allergens in soap powder these days is horrible, I have to say…! I haven’t been affected, but my daughter has…she has to use really plain simple stuff (I haven’t managed to convince her of the soapnuts yet. She’s young, she’ll learn! :joy: )

Cicada’s and chocolates…interesting :thinking: They do look similar I have to say but I wouldn’t try washing with either of them :smiley:

I use this, it’s magic!

2 Likes

The water makes all the difference … mine comes from the Lake District and is soft … :slightly_smiling_face:

I use ECOVER products for washing:

2 Likes

@ruthio I’ve never seen them before, it looks really good! Does it smell nice?

Yes it does, but you can always add a dash of Comfort if you really think it needs it.
70 washes is a lot!

1 Like

I haven’t tried those but have a laundry egg. Although I have only used it once or twice. You still need fabric softener.

1 Like