Hands Up! Who Likes Bakewell Tarts?

I love Bakewell Tarts, yet l can’t stand marzipan.
I made the ones pictured at midnight last night because l didn’t have time in the day! They were the second batch from the mixture l made on Sunday.
I make the pastry and the sponge mixture but l only use half and keep the rest in the fridge. I make 9 Bakewell Tarts at a time, as 18 is too many! They also taste nicer when fresh.
These don’t look great as l made them quick and browned them too much and the jam started to escape!
They taste lovely though!

It set me wondering. We can access recipes via books, television and the internet but if there were no televisions or radios back then and travel was really only for gentry. How did these regional recipes get passed on to other areas?

1 Like

I even took a detour to buy the real tarts in Bakewell when we were going to visit my Bro & S-I-L, if we lived nearer I’d buy them often. I think the genuine Bakewell tarts recipe is secret.
They are actually called puddings & are different to the tarts.

I am a Bakewell Tart :slight_smile: I come from just outside Bakewell :mrgreen:

:lol::lol: Then you must have been in the pudding shop?

I had a lovely Bakewell Tart when I once visited Wirksworth for the Well Dressing … :smiley:

I’m not too fussy where the tart is from…:slight_smile:

I Knew it! :mrgreen:

I love Bakewell tarts and I’m not fussy either but there does seem to be various types. There’s the ones by Mr Kipling, then there’s the bigger ones with icing on, then there’s Art’s. Art’s Look nicest but I don’t think there are enough to go round.

I do like Bakewell Tarts.

And yes, I must admit that out of all the processed cakes on the shelves, the ones I am a bit addicted to are Mr. Kipling’s Trifle Bakewells. :blush::blush:

They aren’t true bakewells, but they are, for some reason, rather moreish, and a carton of 6 doesn’t last very long. :blush:

In fact, I’m ashamed to say that I bought a pack at lunchtime today, and there aren’t any left now. :blush:

They are quite small, though. :blush:

A nice homemade Bakewell tart with custard is yummy, though!

I expect it was Mrs.Beeton! :mrgreen:

You’re confused here Tiffany.

They are two different and entire separate products.

A Bakewell Tart is a Bakewell Tart

A Bakewell Pudding is a Bakewell pudding

One is not the other. Two separate things.

Both yummy

I have a sweet tooth but I’m not supposed to eat sweet things anymore.

Arrangel those that you made started my mouth watering. They look scrumcious.
When I went to Derbyshire I called into Bakewell just to try the tarts or puddings as I think they called them.

I haven’t had a Bakewell tart for years, now the thought of them is making me want to make some :smiley:

Then it’s the Bakewell puddings I like & not the tarts.

Oh yummy, I’ve not made them before, but they’ve been a long term favourite.
Maybe it’s when people travelled in service from town to town.
I don’t think I’ve had a Bakewell pudding before?

I like the tarts and a pudding afterwards. :lol:

I like homemade Bakewell tarts and those look delicious, Artangel.

Don’t like the Mr Kipling (or similar) ones because of the awful ‘non-pastry’ they use. Heaven knows what is in it but it doesn’t taste like pastry.

Never tried Bakewell pudding - didn’t know there was such a thing,

Just googled Bakewell pudding - apparently it is all in the making!

If it is made with shortcrust pastry - it is a tart, if it is made with puff pastry - it is a pudding!

I think Bakewell Pudding was the original Bakewell Tart, but even if you travel to Bakewell you will get different answers from all you speak to.
I don’t recall seeing any covered with white icing, in Bakewell, so not sure where that idea came from.:shock:

Arts do look good… do you think she will bake a batch for OFF members? :lol:

What a brilliant idea!:smiley: