Hammer's odds 'n' ends

These are from the 2005 soundtrack album: A Thousand Roads, and features Lisa Gerrard & Jeff Rona.

1 Like

Thanks for that Hammer. I remember Lisa sang that beautiful song at the end of Gladiator(one of my favourite movies by the way). I shall be downloading a few tracks from You Tube, now that I know how, thanks to one of our members.

Hi John, yes indeed Lisa has a most extraordinary voice.
I have an awful lot of her albums from her early days with ā€˜Dead Can Danceā€™ through her solo career.

This is a piece from the film: Blackhawk Down with Denez Priget.
Sublime.

Gortoz A Ran

John,
I forgot to include the very one you spoke of.
From the Hans Zimmer Lisa Gerrard OST.

Enjoy

Now We Are Free

This is for my Serene Sunday. Antonin Dvorakā€™s Rusalka.
This version is by the delightful Anna Netrebko.

Rusalka, the daughter of a Water Goblin tells her old man that she has fallen for a human Prince who comes to hunt around the lake, and she wants to become human to make out with him. He says it aint a good idea but leads her to the old witch, Jezibaba, for help. Rusalka sings her ā€˜Song to the Moonā€™, asking it to tell the Prince of her love.
You kinda know this will end in tears.

Song to the Moon

Some nice items there Hammer thank you :slight_smile:
The ā€˜Song of the Moonā€™ is one of my all time favourites and you have introduced me to Lisa Gerrard :slight_smile:

A piece from the aforementioned brilliant Hans Zimmer, probably the most prolific composer of film music around, in fact it is hard to find a film these days that he has not worked on.
This is from the film: The Davinci Code.

Chevaliers de Sangreal

This one will be familiar to anyone who saw the film Shawshank Redemption, it is the aria between the Countess and Susanna from The Marriage Of Figaro.

It features the Swiss Soprano Edith Mathis as Susanna and Gundula Janowitz from Austria taking the role of the Contessa di Almaviva.

" I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I donā€™t want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. Iā€™d like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it canā€™t be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a grey place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free"

Duettino Sull

Beautiful music there Hammer. Makes you weep when you see what passes for so called singing these days, X Factor etc. Certainly going to fill my boots with some of these tracks.

This is Giuseppe di Stefano, one of the best tenors the world has ever heard, sadly no longer with us having joined a far more heavenly choir back in 2008.

Pavarotti was a great admirer and reckoned to copy his style but really he was not in the same class and that is no disrespect to Pav.

This piece is from Lā€™elisir dā€™amore by Donizetti. It is sung by our hero when he finds that the love potion he bought for his lady actually works even though we know he was conned and it is just wine.

ā€œOne furtive secret tear from her eyes did spring:
as if those youths who can be playful it ( or she ) seemed to be envious of. What more searching do I want?
What more searching do I want? She loves me! Yes, she loves me, I see it. I see itā€.

[URL=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHp8R30Wtkā€]Una furtiva lagrima (A furtive tear)

Grazie Signor Martello (thats Italian for Hammer, handy if you fancy a change!)

Thanks John, Martello eh? hmmm:cool:

A quiet piece to ease into Saturday.
Once again from the superb Michael Hoppe 2003 album Solace.
[URL=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nielWBoZLuEā€]

Renouncement

A quite wonderful duet - brilliantly sung by Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon - that occurs in the last act of Verdiā€™s La Traviata when Violetta and Alfredo are reunited after a long separation.

Alfredo suggests that they leave Paris (Parigi, o cara noi lasceremo)

We will leave Paris, oh dear one,
We will spend our lives together;
You will have reward for sorrows undergone,
Your health will be restored.
You will be desire and light for me,
The entire future will smile upon us.

Sadly for those two Violetta pops her clogs in his arms so they never leave Paris, alive at any rate.

Quality.

Parigi, O Cara

Change of direction to ease into Saturday.
A bit of headbanging from Status Quo: This is from the ā€˜Picturesā€™ tour and was filmed at Montreaux jazz Festival. 2009.

[URL=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ygHmA-kajgā€]The Oriental

Michael Hoppe: From the brilliant album Solace.

[URL=ā€œhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAi0MX-tXBcā€] Lachrymosa

This is from Carmina Burana and features amongst others the delightful Kathleen Battle.
Conducted by the peerless Seiji Ozawa.

The complete work is still available on DVD and well worth a punt.

Tempus es iocundum / Dulcissime

This is err, interesting but yes rather good actually, a bit different from old whatsisname, ahh yes Harry Webb that became Cliff richard that becameā€¦
From the group: Hurts.

Wonderful Life

After all the stress of the week a little Soother for Sunday
This is a piece that was used in the first season of The Sopranos.
It is once again from the brilliant Michael Hoppe and is off The Poet album.

Gold Leaves (For G.K.Chesterton)

I will peruse at a later date Hammer.