Growing very old waiting for a Toyota

My Isuzu Dmax with a 3 litre turbo diesel does 34mpg, It is a fallacy that small engines are more economical. To move 1 tonne uses the same energy whether it is with a 1 litre or a 3 litre engine. These dual cab utes have become the defacto family car (including for visits to the hairdressers) with the demise of the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon

My 2015 Dmax cost $50000 brand new (25000pounds) and can tow 3.5 tonnes, it doesn’t even notice my camper.

I’m sure It suits your needs .
However what you are trying to do is akin to persuading someone who wants a Bentley to buy a Toyota ….it wouldn’t work out!
I’ve got my heart set on a RAV4

1 Like

Rips i was in the same position last January, couldn’t get a new Rav 4 was told end of the year, salesman suggested trying on line, he also mentioned low milage used cars were getting £2500 more than book price, so, i advertised my Toyota Verso (4 years old with 32000 miles) on Car Wow

i couldn’t believe the response, including one Toyota manager (of a large group of dealerships in Manchester) offering me £400 more than the best offer (which was £2500 above book price), I told him he had a deal if he could find me a Rav 4. He rang me back an hour later asked if i could get over to Bury (Manchester) they had one with 4000 miles on the clock, self charging hybrid electric Excel, in pearlescence red. I still paid new car price, but i have been over the moon with it

1 Like

Should have bought a Volvo lol

1 Like

You lucky lucky man . I’m pleased to hear you are happy your RAV4
They are gorgeous :heart:

i did get a surprise when i collected it, providing you get it serviced by Toyota it has a 10 year warranty

1 Like

When all you want is a good reliable motor with a bit of grunt, to keep the rain off your head, and bring the shopping home from Tesco’s and the odd day out at the seaside. I don’t want enough technology to get me to the moon, or forecast the weather in 2055…
So why do we need all this electronics? Give me A good old fashioned diesel without engine management and all the trimmings that seem to be unavoidable these days.
It might chuck out a bit of muck, but until they take all the lorries (mostly foreign) off the roads, and get rid of the endless traffic in the sky, I’ll stop driving my diesel.

2 Likes

That diesel engine management means your engine starts first time every time because you can’t flood it with fuel, means you get the most energy out of every ml of fuel. My 3 litre turbo charged diesel gets the equivalent of 34 mpg.

My Morris Minor was lucky to get 25mpg which was only marginally better than my 3.3 litre straight six Holden whereas my 1.5 litre Mitsubishi Colt with its engine management system got 45mpg.

1 Like

We have a Honda CRV diesel .
It’s been a brilliant car quiet roomy powerful and economic it usually does 41 mpg .

Yes, Yes, I know all that. But if you have to wait over a year to get one, what’s the point…?
A bird in the hand etc…

Umm, it must be a British problem, I have never had to wait more than a couple to three weeks for a new car. However a new electric car is another matter, I understand they take months because supply cannot keep up with demand

Well apparently, Ripple ordered her new Toyota Rav4 in January this year, and she has been told to expect delivery sometime in 2023…A bit longer than 3 weeks Bruce… :017:

If he had bought a Tribant we could call him 002.5

There’s no apparently …I paid the deposit in January ,by the time the invoice was sent it was the 2nd of February with an expected delivery in November ,however it’s now been confirmed it will be 2023.
This isn’t just a UK problem with the new cars it’s a global.
indeed Australia has a even longer lead time.

It’s not just Toyota although their customers especially Landcruiser customers could have anything up to a 4yr wait :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No I don’t want a diesel vehicle.
I’m happy to wait .
The RAV4 hybrid 51 mpg & astonishing 91 mpg city driving .

1 Like

i am seeing 21 plate Ravs now (Ravs have been around for 25 years this year)

considering how big and powerfull it is (218 bhp or 224 bhp for 4 wheel drive) i am averageing around 60 mpg mixed driving, using “eco” drive, the other options “normal” and “sport” or “EV” (electric only) although i haven’t used that for any distance

it has been the top choice of SUV’s in which magazine for many months

by the way this is my 6th Toyota and wife has had 4, you won’t be disappointed Rips

1 Like

I went from Land Rover to Suzuki to Skoda Yeti. I still have the Yeti, she’s 5 door, big n roomy with lots of tailgate size. Excellent off road, and over £100 cheaper to tax than the previous two, great on the drive from Thurso to Perth, can do it on a half tank. But a bit gutsy on short drives. One of the best 4x4s I’ve ever had. I want a newer one but they stopped making them after 2017.

1 Like

That’s amazing 60mpg mixed road conditions .
Yes my heart is set on a RAV4 .
Like you my husband ….use to drive Toyota / Lexus for many years.
A good drive & very reliable .
I hired a Rav for a week this summer just to make sure :joy: loved it.

Sorry about the ‘Apparently’ Ripple, but I wasn’t sure about your present status concerning the Rav4…I think I might have cancelled and chose something else more readily available. At 72 and two heart attacks time is not on my side…

1 Like

Yep Foxy, time sensitivity is of no consideration when you buy off Alibaba.

2 Likes