Growing very old waiting for a Toyota

Is anyone waiting for a new Toyota.
I ordered a RAV4 dynamic January 2022 expected delivery date November.
Yesterday I phoned the showroom to enquire about progress.
It wasn’t showing on the system work hadn’t started !
Revised delivery date Feb 2023 , 13 mths :open_mouth: if I’m lucky.
I’m loathed to cancel the order as this model has increased £4000 since January.

In all honesty, I’m not in the £40+k car world. One of my student’s parents just had a new car which was lovely but gigantic, and which was about the same price as one of the flats I own to rent out.

2 Likes

Hi

I am seriously into £40k plus cars, but when they are 4 years old,low mileage and half the price.

1 Like

I don’t know much about RAV4s except they lack a chassis so aren’t really a serious four wheel drive as the body is just not rigid. If you are going to get a 4x4 a Toyota Hilux the luxury Rugged X Auto 4x4 Double Cab 2.8 litre turbo diesel is about $70000 (35000pounds) and will go anywhere.

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/toyota/main-site/vehicle-hubs/hilux/bep/2022/performance_hilux_v2.webp?mw=1920&hash=119C86B0306FF08B094426274CD9B92E

2 Likes

The RAV4 isn’t meant to be in the same league as a hilux
A Rav It’s a domestic family suv with off road capability.
A Hilux is a truck it’s a pickup for goodness sake …oh and if you want the 4 wheel drive double cab with hard rear cover you’ll be paying £40+ It only does 20 something mpg
I can just see me popping off to the hairdressers in the hilux … NO

Where will you be going off-road, and how often @Ripple ?

One of my sister’s neighbours (in Chiswick, London) bought a large car that was worth around £50k. The furthest it ever went was 200 yards closer to the tube station (I kid you not…he used to drive and park up on a road which meant he paid for parking as his resident’s permit wasn’t valid on that road) and the occasional 1 mile trip to Sainsbury’s.

2 Likes

Hi

People get the card they want which are within their budget,

Loads of ladies have SUVs, they like the driving position.

At our age get what you want and enjoy every minute.

2 Likes

A hospital gurney :wink:

Hi Dex
If you want an honest answer I’m not planning a off road adventure. However Im keen on U.K. walking holidays and bit off road might come in useful .

A year ago I sold my husband land cruiser, it was a lovely car but to big for me and juicy on the fuel .
Until last September I lived on a farm in the New Forest so there was a good reason for having a 4x4 off road. But now errr …

1 Like

@Ripple , Oh ow the uvver. arf. live, l kid you not ?? :worried::worried::worried:

1 Like

Hi @Ripple. Fair enough and each to their own. We downsized our car size a few years ago, and have always had the idea that if we want a big car to go on holiday or a long trip, then the money we saved by running a small car would cover hiring one and without the burden that larger cars can bring (notably loss in value). Works well for us.

2 Likes

If my husband was still here I’d be in a aygo :joy:

1 Like

Aygo’s are great.

2 Likes

We’ve never been into huge cars…fiesta, fiesta, Mondeo, Mondeo, Focus estate, Citroen c3, Citroen c1, Citroen c1, aygo, aygo is our list of cars. The 4 larger cars was when our children were growing up, and buggies aren’t exactly small.

3 Likes

I used to have a Susuki Gran Vitara but it was two door short wheel based .
I would love to get a Rav 4 but will I live that long ?

1 Like

It’s not just Toyota, the general chip shortage worldwide has increased the waiting times for new cars many manufacturers have long wait times hence the increase in used car prices

3 Likes

Hi

The most important thing about a car is will it be possible to get my fishing rods in

3 Likes

Apparently Ripple,according to the car dealership we purchased our Ford Kuga from there`s a shortage of the high tech chips due to a large demand and phone companys buying them up.
We had to wait over a year for ours,theres a very large waiting list,but things are on the move now.

2 Likes

Thanks @brokenvows and @Primus1. Forgot about that. and thought it might have been some other shortage or even a logistics issue.

1 Like

As has been said by others here, due to supply chain problems the waiting time not just for Toyota cars has been increasing. My neighbour works as a salesman for Ford and tells me the same. I drive a Yaris Cross and today I would have to wait for as long as one year for it compared to roughly six months earlier this year. The price has also gone up by several thousand Pounds.
It’s not just chips. The trouble is that Toyota does not deliver a car if there’s just one component missing, e.g. the tough protective boot liner which happens to be produced in Ukraine. The car is withheld on the manufacturing site until the component arrives even if the customer would accept the car without it. I went for a demo car because waiting time is not acceptable at my age.

2 Likes