Greed and the obscenely rich - how much is too much?

Following on from @Morticia’s post about how Bezos and Musk are obscenely rich and set to become trillionaires - how much is too much? At what point does it become obscene and detrimental to the planet, society and humanity? If you could put a limit on the wealth of people like that, what would that level be?

How much wealth do you think is an acceptable amount?
  • £500,000
  • £1,000,000 (1 million)
  • £2,000,000
  • £3,000,000
  • £4,000,000
  • £5,000,000
  • £10,000,000
  • £20,000,000
  • £30,000,000
  • £40,000,000
  • £50,000,000
  • £100,000,000 (100 million)
  • £1000,000,000 (1 billion)
  • £1,000,000,000,000+ (1 trillion+)

0 voters

Keep in mind the entire world’s GDP is estimated at ‘just’ 73 trillion.

FWIW Elon Musk has contributed quite a lot for Ukraine.

What you earn you keep money should work for you even when you sleep

1 Like

@Vlad , “money should work for you while asleep”
Nah? Nature intended you to hunt for your food each day !!
Money is the root of all evil! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I’m afraid I can’t find the link to a remembered article but it rather succinctly helped your average man or woman get his or her head around the kind of wealth the obscenely rich have at their fingertips.

It explained that … for every $1 an American can spend … Bezos can spend $88,000

Kind of warps the brain doesn’t it.

I’m sorry … that was incorrect. His wealth and investments seem to have run amok.

1 Like

I’ve put 50M, but would be happy with a general consensus of up to 100M.

Since you can buy a ‘dream home’ for about a million, the rest really would be to allow you to live a very comfortable life, with enough left over to help your family, friends, local community etc. You could do a lot of good with 100 million.

1 Like

It is indeed like horse pooh. Left in one place it just stinks, but if you spread it around then a lot of things can thrive.

5 Likes

The LOVE of money is the root of all evil :.

I don’t love money I would just love to have more of it ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont think there should be a cap on how much money people can have…I think its a terrible idea. I don’t see being successful and making a lot of money as obscene or greedy not in the least…good luck to people who do well…as long as they pay their taxes.

4 Likes

I like the smell of horse poo

1 Like

I would love to win the lottery for the pleasure of giving it away .
I would keep enough to see me and my family comfortable .
That’s how I know there is no God
He knows I would do good with it :frowning:

2 Likes

If some people look at being a millionaire/ billionaire as being “ successful “ that’s fine…I seriously can’t see the point, I really don’t understand the pattern of thought ,behind wanting to be a millionaire…what’s it all about?..maybe it’s to do with drive and achieving what most in the world think is important…I dunno, I’m just happy that I have what I have…to be honest I couldn’t justify living in such luxury, when there are so many poor and starving people in this world…I admire those who help charities with sharing their vast amount of wealth.

I thank God that money has never been my driving force, each to their own though and all the clever people we have in the world…it takes all sorts to make a world…if these people have made millions through their ideas,etc, they can’t help it,if it’s made them millions can they…

It’s what they do with this money that counts, they have been blessed with it ,I just Hope most do good and help those in desperate need…as any decent human being would do,imo.:pray:

There are some extremely clever people in this world, which has made them millions/ billions…to answer the questions, who am I to say how much is to much.:thinking:

1 Like

Hi

I have no problems, with the following provisos.

They pay their tax at the point of delivery.
They give their workers contracts and guaranteed pension rights.

They pay full tax on their incomes.

In other words, the same tax as their employees.

3 Likes

Do you mean, like investing their money, Dex? :slightly_smiling_face:

@pauline3 , my father used to say that since greed is a sin, it is our moral duty to remove the greedy of their excesses so as to help them sin less.

1 Like

Like sharing it out among other things/people who could benefit more from it.

1 Like

Oh crikey Dex, please don’t go all religious on me,:sweat_smile:…I must stay on topic.:+1:

1 Like

Yes Dex, completely agree, love it!:heartpulse:

1 Like

@summer, “nothing wrong with having los of money”
Yeah, maybe, but with bezo’s it is surely the same as a baboon putting
a whole field of mealies under his armpit to stop other baboons from
getting any ?? :-1::-1:

1 Like