Greed and the obscenely rich - how much is too much?

That’s a real interesting answer there,DM…I must research this bezo, I have never heard of him.

He owns Amazon @pauline3

2 Likes

@pauline3 , He owns Amazon Pauline !! :-1::-1:. Ooooer!

1 Like

I can’t vote in this. It’s an impossible question. If you ask how much I intend winning in the lottery, the answer is £5M, no more.

A 3 bed semi will set you back £1M around these parts.

2 Likes

Biden says he is tired of “trickle down economics, they have never worked”
Biden for world president ??? :smiley::smiley:

1 Out of 153 American Workers Is Now an Amazon Employee.

Amazon has made more than $221 billion in sales in 2021 so far, showing just how massive the company has become since Jeff Bezos founded it in 1994.

Today the ecommerce giant employs 1.3 million people around the world, with 950,000 of those in the US, the company said in its latest earnings release.

According to the most recent US employment report, there are 145.8 million nonfarm payroll workers out of a total population of 332 million.

That means one out of every 350 Americans works for Amazon, or one out of every 153 employed workers in the US.

Along with Amazon’s size, its decision to implement a $15 minimum wage across the company has had a measurable effect in the communities where it does business. It has also forced other large employers to follow suit.

Amazon announces 10,000 UK jobs and £10 million training investment

The training will be offered through Amazon’s Career Choice programme, which covers the course fees for Amazon employees interested in pursuing a future career outside of the company – an initiative that will grow the skills and employability of British workers.

We’re also partnering with the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) and local businesses to identify regional skills shortages and focus training on local demand – this will help meet the UK’s future employment needs outside of Amazon while strengthening the economy.

Forbes

Jeff Bezos Just Gave Away Nearly $120 Million

Since shifting from CEO to chairman of Amazon in mid-2021, Bezos—now the world’s third-richest person—has stepped up his philanthropic giving. But his donations are a tiny percentage of his total net worth.

Though he landed on the Forbes list of Top Givers for the first time this year, Bezos’ overall giving pales in comparison to that of his ex-wife, MacKenzie Scott, who is giving away her fortune at a faster pace than anyone in modern history. According to Forbes ’ calculations, Bezos has given away $2.4 billion during his lifetime, while Scott has donated five times that amount—$12.5 billion. She still has an estimated net worth of $34.3 billion. Bezos, the world’s third-richest person as of Friday afternoon, is worth an estimated $141.6 billion.

So why does Amazon avoid paying taxes?

1 Like

@wendeey , So the top baboon has been dropping a few mealies along
the way then wendee ?
I spose thats what they call trickle down economics eh ?? :-1::roll_eyes::-1:

1 Like

If my circulatory system trickled blood down at that kind of rate, my limbs would have had to be amputated by now.

1 Like

Do you think he should be giving much more of his wealth away to the needy,etc,etc.Dex?

And why do you think he isn’t, my question is, does he make known, every penny he gives away?

How do people know what he’s worth…having no knowledge in this field, does he have to make known what he’s worth and what he gives away? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t begrudge anyone from their wealth that they’ve earned, and it’s the wealthy that create the jobs and the wealth for the rest of us, so no limit from me…

4 Likes

Got no idea what you mean by this and which country as they all have different taxation laws.

And as the articles I posted shows, he invests in people. Would you prefer him to just give all his money away in taxes and not employ or train all those people. As well as creating employment how much tax do all those employees pay.

Can tell you people are a lot better off due to people like him.

3 Likes

That’s really good to hear and learn,Wendy,…plus extremely positive towards this billionaire,:+1:

1 Like

Amazon UK Services Ltd generated over £4,800,000,000 turnover in 2020.

Do Amazon pay tax in the UK?

Amazon paid just £492,000,000 in 2020 UK direct taxes, while estimates put the company’s tax-to-turnover ratio at just 0.37%. For context, the higher rate of income tax for an individual in England is 40%.

Why is this? All sales made to UK customers go through a Luxembourg-based company, Amazon EU Sarl. This bypasses HMRC and takes advantage of the nation’s generous tax breaks.

GMB said the tech giant’s 35p-an-hour raise for staff in the UK was a “joke” - and the company needed to “get real” on pay.

Last week, hundreds Amazon staff at warehouses in Bristol and Essex walked out in protest over the offer, which equates to around 3%. It is understood the starting salary for Amazon warehouse workers is £11.10 an hour. The pay deal currently on offer will see this rise to £11.45, but staff are asking for a £2-an-hour raise.

I’l bet those warehouse workers are ecstatic when they receive their wages (properly UK-taxed, of course) … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is so much easier for wealthy people to avoid paying tax on their income than it is for average wage earners.

How Bezos and other wealthy Americans avoid paying federal taxes.

1 Like

Indeed … robber-barons … :angry:

February 7, 2022

The company reported record profits of more than $35 billion (75 percent higher than its 2020 record haul) and paid just 6 percent of those profits in federal corporate income taxes.

If Amazon had no tax breaks, it would have paid 21 percent of its profits in corporate income taxes, or more than $7.3 billion. Instead, it paid $2.1 billion.

@wendeey , lf he paid his taxes he wouldn’t need to ‘train’ anybody?
They would all be educated allready through the taxes he’d paid !
That’s the point of corporation tax, to get at the profit that has been hidden
in the personnel tax returns ??
The, average person pays about 25% In personal tax,
Bezos pays about 3•4 % along with all the other hard workers !!
I rest my case !! :-1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::-1:

1 Like

I’m going to throw out a really simplistic idea. No doubt it has holes in it and will be shot down, but here goes…

If everyone actually paid what they were meant to in tax without finding and using loopholes to avoid it, then everyone would actually end up not having to pay so much tax. So everyone would become better off.