GRAVE DIGGER Massive false widow spider ‘with SKULL on its back’ found in horrified family’s bathroom

• eeewww! Enough said :spider:
2 Likes

That is scary, Pixie. Much as I like spiders I do not think I would want to share my home with one of those!

3 Likes

I’d be out of the place pronto! No stopping to take a photo for me, oh no! :scream:

2 Likes

I’ve never like spiders, my kids are the same….Any spiders menacingly walking around our house we all give Mrs M a call, she picks them up with bare hands and chucks them in the garden.

I can’t open the link, but these are nasty buggers that hurt when they bite…. I think.

Are they on the increase, is there reasons for concern

2 Likes

It’s only a spider and an interesting one too.
I wouldn’t mind it making use of my house… :icon_cool:

3 Likes

I don’t think so, no…just an unfortunate timing. Although this is the time of year when spiders try to find mates and a warm space to snuggle, so…if I see one, I’ll let you fetch Mrs M to come and sort it for me :joy:

1 Like

Apparently they are not as dangerous as I thought - so I would probably leave it alone! Warning This link includes pictures.

2 Likes

Meg…only a spider??! Little tiny money spiders are “only a spider”…this is a huge fat lurking monster with a SKULL on its back!!! :scream:

I agree with you on giving it the house though, because I would too… :astonished: Forever!

We have those False Widow spiders here, have had them for years. Next door got bittern by one & was ill for weeks.
If I catch one in the house I kill it. They are not native, even though they have been here for probably 100 years. First were found in this area & they are gradually spreading.

Thanks for that Tabby - not opening it to read though. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be taking the time to peer at it to see if it was the real deal or not :018:

See spider = Leave house. :joy:

This bit is interesting, Pixie …

1 Like

You would not pick up a False Widow spider with your bare hands, not if you had sense that is. Yes, they are on the increase.

Yes actually, that bit is very interesting, thanks!

Still not reading it all though…

.and I’m vegan, suddenly :flushed:

1 Like

Say that to people who have been bitten by them. I certainly don’t believe they are harmless & as I am very allergic to all types of insect stings/bites I would certainly avoid them near me.

2 Likes

I’ve never been bitten thankfully, but I know it can happen, with terrifying effects.

When I was about 4 years old, I poked my finger into a lovely white soft tunnel between two bits of wood in the shed. Suddenly the hugest spider came scuttling out and up my arm (it was summer…t shirt time) and that’s where my fear came from…I could not shake this monster off me and I screamed the place down. :cry:

1 Like

We see the false widows here too and a friend had a nasty bite from one June 2004 that put him in hospital with horrid infected cellulitis.

2 Likes

I’m afraid spiders and I don’t get along…

2 Likes

Spiders don’t bother me and I tend not to bother them. I would have simply shown it to the door. No rent No stay, eight legs or not! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

They only bother me when they are large enuf to pull the broom from my grip :astonished::point_right::wink::grin:

2 Likes

I have close to 80 Tarantulas & spiders here, including a couple with over 8 inches of leg span & a false window would be lovely to have around the house. As they are relatively harmless & beautiful.

Sadly too many people remember the idiotic & inaccurate reports & see this harmless arachnid as a threat, which it is not.

2 Likes