Government food strategy tells public to eat venison instead of beef to save planet

A leaked version of the government’s new food strategy advises people to eat wild venison as a low-carbon alternative to beef and grow their own cucumbers to save the planet, reports claim.
They include encouraging fish farming, long seen as highly damaging for the environment, increasing consumption of “responsibly sourced venison”, food from algae proteins, and producing technology to help cattle produce less methane.

• Oh please :roll_eyes:

I tried growing cucumbers the slugs always got there before me .

There are plenty of deer around our way I don’t know that it’s popular eating though.

1 Like

I’m growing some cucumbers as well. There are deer up in the hills next to me, but I don’t have a catapult. Might have to try and lay a trap or two Clan of the Cave Bear style…

Venison is definitely a healthier than beef pork lamb even chicken as it is extremely low in fat.

The best option would be to eat less meat.
Grow cucumbers errr is this a joke

1 Like

Apparently not :joy: We are being instructed by our Govt to grow cucumbers! Luckily I’m a step ahead and growing some tomatoes as well. That’ll get me through the winter for sure!

I hardly eat meat, maybe once a week if that. I certainly would not be eating venison. I really hope nobody actually tries to catch deer :cry:

1 Like

Well - “The Government” (hollow laughter) can afford to eat Venison!

2 Likes

I wonder if they would share with us, y’think? :thinking:

They might sell us some stale left overs from one of Boris the Barmy’s sleazy parties.

1 Like

Can’t afford it, Tabby. Might have to do an Oliver Twist “Please sir, can I have some more?”

(not that they would give us it anyway)

1 Like

Not a chance, I tried it once when we were out for Dinner, the taste made me gag…Shudder. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Same here. Horse is ok though.

Yeah I had it once too, years ago. Not a fan either really.

Was that a deliberately thoughtless remark? :thinking:

Not at all. Simply stating my opinion. If folk spend any time in Europe the probability is that when eating a steak and especially a burger they’ll often be “Noshing on a Neddie”!

1 Like

I found the taste of venison, too strong.
The word ‘venison’ always reminds me of a book l read at junior school… ‘The Children Of The New Forest’.

1 Like

I love venison, especially when served as Venison Wellington.

1 Like

Ooooh PixieKnuckles,i loved the Jean M Auel books.
I have never tasted venison , i have eaten horse,it`s a little tough imo.
We have lots of deer near us,and they are beautifull animals.
They are very friendy too and enjoy apples and carrots.

1 Like

I enjoyed them as well. I think I started Shelters of Stone some time ago, and didn’t finish it…I’ll need to get back to it :smiley: :books:

I won’t eat deer, I’m all about vegetarian these days with eating the occasional chicken breast but I’m even considering giving that up as there are some good vegetarian alternatives out there these days. The older I get the less I want to eat meat, mind you, I’ve never been much of a red meat eater anyway, I don’t really like it except for mince. Hate lamb and pork, it’s disgusting to my tastebuds, same with gammon and chicken legs, thigh, wings.

Deer are such beautiful creatures it just feels wrong to kill them to eat when there are so many foods out there with protein.

Ohhh please go back to it PixieKnuckles.
The first book was called The Clan Of Cave Bear,and there are around 4/6 more,the last one took along time to be published as the author was poorly.
The best read i have ever read.

1 Like