Ghosts: What use are they?

Used for excommunication and casting out

https://museumofwitchcraftandmagic.co.uk/object/bell-book-and-candle/

Church bell, Holy Bible, and a candle?

More cobblers?
Or authentic?

1 Like

I agree - it’s not a good idea to go upsetting the Baxters - or you may end up in the soup. :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

[quote=“JBR, post:439, topic:86030, full:true”]

:rofl: You call your poltergeist Marge?

If I have any strips from Mr Baxter I like to threaten him with the little fat lady from poltergeist, never fails

Well, it is authentic historically in that it’s a real excommunication ceremony that has been used in exorcisms and that’s a real thing bell, book and candle

Not saying it works, though! :smiling_imp:

Course it cobblers in the sense that people don’t really get possessed and so there no need for exorcism.:face_with_spiral_eyes:

It’s just silly superstition frightened people used to try to protect themselves from things they didn’t understand, like mental illness

Sounds like the government!

3 Likes

Brilliant film - starring James Stewart and a siamese cat named Piewacket!

1 Like

Great name for a cat :smile_cat::+1:

1 Like

Or forum members! :joy::smiling_imp:

No of course not. I don’t have a poltergeist.
I don’t believe in the supernatural. They know better than to bother me.

Marge is my dear, loving wife. It was you who mentioned ‘that thing’, but don’t worry; I won’t tell her.

1 Like

I agree. I think that psychiatric help would be more effective than exorcism.
Actually, perhaps exorcism (for the religious) is actually a form of psychiatric help.

1 Like

Ouch! You may think that - I couldn’t possibly comment! (House of Cards 1990) :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

While we’re on the subject of ghosts, it made me think of something that has nothing to do with them. :thinking:

When I was seven or eight years old, I won first prize in a “think up a slogan” competition for a well known tea company. The prize was a baby chimpanzee, but I forget what my slogan was. His name was Howard, but I called him Gibbo, after my uncle Howard, who was also known as Gibbo. People used to ask why I called him Gibbo when he was a chimpanzee, thinking that Gibbo was short for gibbon, which it was in a way; my uncle’s name was Howard Gibbons. We were inseparable, Gibbo and I (the chimp, not my uncle), but as he got older he became more and more unmanageable, and he started to get aggressive, too.

Next door, lived Mr. Winstanley. He was a miserable old man, always complaining about something or other. One day, when Gibbo was rampaging round the garden, screeching at the top of his voice, Mr. Winstanley started hammering on the fence with his walking stick, shouting, “shut that bloody monkey up”. The next thing we knew, Gibbo had leapt over the fence, there was a bit of a thud, and then he jumped back again and sauntered into the house. We rushed to the fence and looked over to see Mr. Winstanley lying, lifeless, on his immaculately kept lawn.

It turned out that his neck was snapped clean as a whistle, and they said he wouldn’t have felt a thing. Two men turned up in a van a little later and took Gibbo away, but he gave them a damn good fight before they managed to restrain him. The house was completely recked, of course. I cried and cried as I watched the van driving away with Gibbo, and my mum came and put her arms round me and said, “never mind, son, at least we don’t have to put up with that miserable sod Winstanley any more”.

Not all of us, hopefully?
I’m certainly not evil and dangerous. Well
 not all of the time.

2 Likes

Well, you need to be a little evil and dangerous, nobody fancies a goody two shoes :rofl:

Oh, so you fancy me, Mary!
Or perhaps I’m reading too much into it? :cry:

1 Like

https://youtu.be/c_3NMtxeyfk

Watch “Destination Fear” on Discovery+

Thats quite frightening - a group of young ghost hunters staying the night in haunted locations, each armed with cameras etc. A bit like Ghost Adventures but way better.

It’s not just the landing in my place. I really do need to make myself do a bit of housework. :worried:

All you gotta do:

@GhostDustersUK · Cleaning service

1 Like