GB News channel

Who else watches GB News Channel. We love it and there are so many interesting guests and presenters.

I have been totally impressed with Arlene Foster, she is much more interesting then I used to think. She is often on with Michael Portillo and I really like him. We get Anne Widicombe sometimes and she is not to be messed with. Neil Oliver is another great presenter. I love Calvin Robinson and Michelle Dewberry, Anne Diamond and Eamonn Holmes. Alistair Stewart, Colin Brazier and Dan Wootton. These are just some of the names that come to mind but there are loads more.

I wish I could get Dab radio here because they are on there too.

1 Like

Really interesting discussion now with Neil and Christine Hamilton and Comedian Nick Dixon talking about Joanna Lumley’s comments about some people overplaying mental health issues. She says there is a vast difference between feeling sad and low and severe mental illness. They agree with her actually and so do I.

Yes. As far as I’m concerned, it is the only unbiased news channel available.
Quite apart from that, it has some very interesting items and if, like me, you watch it without a TV licence on YouTube, you can pick and choose which ones you want to watch whenever you want.

1 Like

I’ve just seen a DM article about this. very irresponsible for someone who has had a psychotic breakdown herself to judge others. We cannot experience what others are going through without walking a mile in their shoes. Just because she had the imagination to visualise her way out of her own trauma doesn’t mean everyone else who goes through depressive episodes is so resourceful. I do like Joanna but am surprised by her comments about this.

As for GB news, I don’t find it particularly inspiring. It’s very daily star crossed with Benidorm.

2 Likes

I haven’t watched it, but this description made me laugh! Also - definitely not watching it now :joy:

2 Likes

It ain’t a News programme if there ain’t no so called competitions that cost yer £2.00 in a phone call. :icon_wink:

I have never read the Daily Star and when you say Benidorm do you mean the place or the TV prog (which I have never watched either.)

This reminds me of a retired GP I met when we were on a Spanish course together before covid. He and his wife went off for a holiday to Benidorm and he came back absolutely full of it and said it was one of the best holidays he ever had 
. Fab weather, wonderful hotel, excellent food and all the staff went out of their way to help him with his Spanish. He said it was a good job he didn’t listen to people who tried to put him off!

1 Like

I watch it for Michelle Dewberry from 6 to 7pm. She not only speaks her mind but also allows her guests to do the same. The tearful young student should have been seen by the whole four nations!

1 Like

I meant the TV programme. I’ve never been to Benidorm and I am sure it’s lovely. Can substitute the star with the News of the world, except the News of the world was better than GB news.

Joanna Lumley was saying there is a huge difference between feeling a bit sad and having severe mental health issues which she said she completely understood and sympathised with. She is a patron of MIND. She is concerned that too many people are jumping on the bandwagon. I thought she spoke a lot of sense actually.

Most of us will have experienced grief after losing a loved one and that is entirely normal and we work our way through it but you cannot describe that as a mental illness.

I shouldn’t think there is a person on here who doesn’t have an odd day when they feel low and sad or drained but they don’t call it a mental illness.

I was the victim of a terrifying incident about 8 years ago and was diagnosed with PTSD. It went on and on and I am still on just one tablet at bedtime but I had to work my way through it and gradually felt more normal. it has been a long process.

It’s very common (and perfectly normal) to have short term mental illness. The danger in what Joanna was saying is that people who feel they have nothing to live for will bottle things up and not want to make a fuss when they are falling apart inside. They carry on as though they can just ignore it and then have a severe breakdown or commit suicide. I like her very much but her Mary Poppins approach isn’t always appropriate, particularly now when so many are falling apart mentally because of the social and economic changes caused by the pandemic.

Just saw this on Twitter and mulled about whether to tweet “Joanna Lumley” but thought better of it after my very recent Twitter storm experience

This is what depression looks like

2 Likes

Precisely! Which is why I am disappointed in such comments. Although I’m sure they go down well with the GB news more traditionally inclined audience, British stiff upper lip and all that.

1 Like

Some can cope with depression and others end up topping themselves.
Alan Lake was such a deep depressive after he broke his back turning to drink. Then the loss of his wife Diana Doors to ovarian cancer made his life so unbearable, he shot himself in the mouth at 43 whilst in his son’s bedroom just 5 months after DD died.
Although a bit of a rouge, I liked him and since his nasty end I’ve been very understanding towards depression.

I agree with both of you.
That puts me on the fence with splinters in my bottom!

1 Like

Not wanting to make this yet another thread about mental illness, I must disagree with you Annie, GB News dare to question things that the other main stream media can’t or won’t touch for several reasons. They are the tail of the government dog, especially the BBC, and they can make or break people. Even Boris has fallen foul of their power and will probably be soon on the unemployed bench.
Most of them are financed by people who have interests in big pharma. If you dare to venture on twitter, you will know that the finance behind ‘Routers’ is also a head honcho of ‘Pfizer’ so in the words of our American friends
Go Figure!

2 Likes

Don’t get it in the States that I know of I’m stuck with Sky News if I want a view other than American. Speaking of Sky News they really need to lay out the atlas when telling the weather. That twirling globe they use makes me dizzy I usually can make 2 days of a weeks forecast. :sweat_smile:

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::point_right::ok_hand:

2 Likes

You seem to have a lot of preconceived ideas about others 

. Daily Star, News of the World, Benidorm, “stiff upper lips” etc yet you get your knowledge of this topic from the DM. :rofl:

I think the point Joanna was trying to get across is that some people who are just sad or lonely take valuable resources away from people with severe mental illness. She has suffered mental breakdown herself and works with MIND so I think she has the right to voice her opinion.

2 Likes