Garage Door

When we first moved in, the Garage which is detached from the house still had the original 50/50 split side opening wooden doors on, which were looking rather the worse for wear, so, being on a budget having just moved house I fitted a Wickes composite up and over door. Over the years, this gave nothing but trouble, jumping the runners, cables slipping off guides, so much so I ended up cutting the cables to allow the thing to close.
It is now coming time to get the summer car out, so, I went on Ebay and had a nose, there was, located in the nearest town a brand new 50/50 split steel door with the manufacturers name stated, so, I looked it up, in this configuration they are Ā£620.00 retail, this one was at a starting bid of Ā£200.00 which was what I won it at, turns out the seller is located in the same village as me, and he delivered it FOC, what a bargain!

1 Like

Pleased for you Spitty, itā€™s good to win one now and again.

Barry, just had to get it the right side of the gates so the Tat Man donā€™t take it when I go back out, it weighs a ton.

Thatā€™s an ā€˜Up and Overā€™ then Spittyā€¦:-D:-D:-D

OOH garage doors

the original up/over ones here the previous owner took down and raised the entrance on one so he could get his large camper van in. He then built and erected huge wooden doors ( to first floor house level size to give some idea). Then proceeded to fit cheap yale type lock. He left the other door as was.Well these damn great wooden doors caught the wind and the devel to keep open or close

So I got a local firm to take them both out and fit electric roller shutter doors to both. Best thing ever, drive up use the remote fob and open one door or the other without getting out of the car. They are fully alarmed as well. If we have a power cut we can wind them up manually or down with no problem. Fantastic , wish I had them on previous houses

Have to say I donā€™t really understand why new house builds donā€™t have them

My dream is to someday have an automatic roly garage door fittedā€¦you have just convinced me that the time is right realspeedā€¦:cool:

Yes they arengreat RS! The first ones l had were chain operated
but worked easily, just two hard pulls took them up!
When we moved l fitted some electric remote operated ones which
worked even better!
I wouldnt fit any other type in future, allthough that is not likely!

Donkeyman!

we used this company

https://www.dimensiongaragedoors.co.uk/

Not only fitted the doors but also had to do a fair bit of alteration as well to the opening. I can highly recommend them and suprisingly enough not as expensive as I imagined

one advantage is they donā€™t take up any space when opening or closing. Up/over doors swing out and up, hinge doors swing sidways . In either case you canā€™t park a car right up against the doors incase to want to open them.
With the roller ones we have no problem.

No getting out of the car to open or close them either

OGF sent you a PM " it includes the alarm donā€™t forget "

We had an electric roller garage door. It went wrong after about a year (kept seizing up) and the company that fitted it had gone bust. Just a poor choice of company I suppose but I decided not to take a chance on another. We had a new ā€˜up and overā€™ door fitted instead and Iā€™ll stick with that.

One thing that used to annoy me a bit when the electric roller door was working OK was the length of time it took to wind up and down. Iā€™d quite often get my bike out, close the door and then remember something else that I needed. Up goes the door in its own time again and then the same amount of time back down.

With the new up and over door, itā€™s quickly up in a second or three and back down in the same length of time. Much better for me.

My up and over garage door does take up garage space when in operation. Since I added a bar to the roof of my car for an awning I have to reverse in.

This is the door fully open you can see the offending bar on the car: The top of the door runs in the groove at each end, you can just see the silver coloured bottom of the runner at the far edge of the door.

When the door is shut it slops downward as it slides and the bar stops it going any further. Previously it missed the end for the car the canopy being that much lower.

The door is Colourbond of course and 40 years old but still going strong but the car has to go in backwards. You can see the door above the car.

BTW this garage was designed to withstand a cyclone hence the choice of door rather than a rolladoor for example (not that you get many cyclones where I live)

Iā€™ve never used the garage to put a car in. When I worked from home, the garage in any property we had was fitted out as my workshop.

The garage we have now has a large bench for doing things on, tools, a bike and power wheelchairs. The space is far too valuable to put a car in. :slight_smile:

I agree Mart, same hereā€¦ :wink:

https://i.imgur.com/adB8ZVv.jpg

Normal size garage door?

OK those ā€œlooseā€ wires at the top are for outside lights

Used to be the same with my garage, next to the garage is a double carport where my cars used to reside but these days my garage is now only half workshop and half car park as I do a lot less work in it.

In the workshop half is a large steel bench (about 2 by 1.5m) I used mainly for welding and a smaller wooden bench with a pedestal drill, both benches have vices. Then there are cupboards and shelves for all my tools and equipment.

It is 6m by 6m so plenty of room for both these days though I used to wish I had bought the 8m by 6m version.

I donā€™t have a pic to hand of the whole garage so this will have to do. You can see the workshop section to the left and a glimpse of the double carport to the right.

Having a bit of time on my hands, I finally got my son to help me rip the old garage door and frame out to fit the new one. As such I need some new timber for the new frame so I thought I would do Click and Collect from B&Q, there is a virtual queue of 129000 people waiting online, I am now up to queue position 53000, so, I hope nothing happens to my connection.

5 minutes and 9000 to go.

Sorry to hear that Spitty, as it happens, My son in law is responsible for loading up the delivery lorries at B&Q on his forkliftā€¦Iā€™ll have a wordā€¦:wink:

Couldnā€™t wait for B&Q (who phoned just whilst typing this) so I made a frame from material I already had, then I discovered the wall one side is exactly plumb but the opposite side is 25mm out, bottom to top, so, this has been packed out accordingly, when the door is in the brick and timber will be clad in UPVC so this correction will be invisible.
canā€™t remember how to post photos so I will get my daughter to post one later

Here is the photo, good job I had to make a new frame.

https://i.ibb.co/d6Kzyd3/C7-FB8-DAA-C7-D6-4-D3-E-99-A9-9-EB3-D33-E0702.jpg

getting a straight piece of timber is an achievment in itself. Donā€™t be likke an ex neighbour who laid timber out on his lawn and coated with preservative. Next day it was all twisted up