Frightening scenario - the end of the world

I’d like to just submit some facts which tend to challenge such assertions DragonsRealm.

No 1

The Earth is travelling around the solar system at approx. 1000 mph. Since the time you made you post above, approx. 60 mins have elapsed. The Earth is therefore approx 1000 miles away from where it was when you made that post. So if something was aimed at the Earth at some point in history, it rather needs to redirect its trajectory to hit us !!

Now if you are of the view that a gamma burst or solar flare or whatever would be so large as to encompass the entire Solar System, thus making Earth’s position in it’s orbit around the Sun irrelevant, then I offer you the next celestial fact . . .

No 2

The entire Solar System is travelling through space around a Galactic Central point at a speed of 514,000 mph (143 mi/s).

Thus since you made your post above, not only has the Earth moved some 1000 miles from where it was, but the entire Solar System, the Sun and all the planets have themselves moved some 514,000 miles along their own galactic orbit.

Any exploding star would really need to run to keep up would it not? :slight_smile:

Of course as we merrily wend our way around Galactic Central we must remember that ONE complete orbit takes approx. 230 million years.

No-one (afaik) on this planet has been around that long to know what dangers or what marvels our Solar System will come into contact with along such a massive journey. It’s entirely possible that we may find ourselves coming close to gigantic suns or planets whose gravity or other forces would decimate Earth and the rest of our Solar System. Perhaps the Mayans had some divine knowledge of this?

On a universal scale however these things are very very very much long shots.

:023:

Perhaps we should all try not to worry too much! I never do, anyway. :smiley:

:smiley: Good one

Pith helmet? For a moment I thought you have a lithp.:lol:

I’m sure, after the Apocalypse, it will have many uses, Ploppy! :wink:

Considering we can only see 6 weeks into space ( for smaller rocks but capable of doing damage ) and that even if an identified one has our name on it then I doubt any governments would say …‘were all doomed in 3 years time’ then I see nothing wrong in having some kind of preparation ( I myself have a dog kennel under the stairs with an old metal tea tray for extra reinforcement , together with a high viz health and safety jacket and an old condom …no idea why I threw the condom in there but I do remember reading once something about ‘Be safe wear a condom’ )

I wonder whether some of these prophets of doom would be better employed by our Europhile organisations.

Are we still doomed?

I like to keep on top of things, I must rearrange the tins of Spam in date order.

Well, yes, so it seems. At least if you believe certain people. Our tame Frog assures us that we are, anyway, and I suppose that we should be grateful to her for having our well-being constantly in her heart.

Is she one of them 'experts ’ we do have quite a lot of them?

Hi

I do not believe that the end of the world is imminent.

I cannot see Corbyn winning the next Election.

The world will end when Trump gets sworn into power.

I bet you a pound (or perhaps a banana) that it doesn’t.

If the world ends, you will owe me £1.

I shall be round to collect.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It’s a bet! If the world ends, I promise I shall pay you a pound.

In fact, it’s a damned good bet. If the world doesn’t end when Trump is sworn in, you’ll owe me a pound!

Just live for the day!

[quote=“Artangel, post: 1052972”]
Just live for the day![
Yes I agree, just put one foot in front of the other and go forward.
Don"t overthink things.
That is what I am doing of late.
Just great.
x

We have no choice really the human race for sure is doomed but hopefully not in the foreseeable future.

Someone told me the other day that if the universe was a twenty four hour clock we (humans) would have only been in existence since one minute to midnight. In the greater scheme of things that’s how insignificant we are.

Scary really:shock:

you may be insignificant but I’m important …I distinctly remember my mum telling me so when I was 4 as she handed me the tea towel and said what an important roll I was playing :slight_smile: