Fray Bentos pies

I used to like the noodles that came with them to go on top that you had to fry and they puffed up like magic

2 Likes

If you need an instant pie fix, these frozen ones are nice, only 4 minutes in the microwave!

1 Like

yes like them think I may have one still in the cupboard.

1 Like

A pukka pie is exactly what I am having tonight .
Can’t find it in my calorie book though
OMG yes I can it’s a whacking great 680 calories :scream:

2 Likes

Oops! They are nice though. When we’re cutting down though, we just have it with vegetables and gravy, no potato, it’s not too bad then :innocent:

1 Like

In the microwave?? But you’ll end up with soggy pastry! No way would I ever heat a pie in the microwave - I’d have to be starving to do that :wink:

1 Like

No, really, the pastry isn’t soggy. I was surprised too but they’re quite nice

Not like a proper pie of course, but OK for when you’re busy

When I retire, obviously I’ll stop such decadent laziness and hand bake home made pie every day (not!)

Only 7 paydays until I retire ……:rofl:

2 Likes

Well you know I’m gonna have to try one of those pies in the microwave now!!!

When I retired I started baking bread again, and making pastry and cakes, and cooking all sorts of lovely stuff. That was 12 years ago. It didn’t last :joy:

Although, to be fair, throughout the first year of the pandemic, when we couldn’t go shopping, I did make all our bread, and did loads of cake and pie baking too. It was so lovely. Maybe I’ll start again…

2 Likes

No that isn’t the case, I heat my frozen pies in the microwave and then stand them on a wire rack for a minute, they are fine and crispy. Perhaps not as perfect as when done in a pie heater but certainly good enough.

2 Likes

The pukka one’s come in a heat reflecting “metal” case which you put them in the microwave in and it’s supposed to help stop them going soggy

I quite like soggy pastry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do love Fray Bentos pies!

Opening them can be interesting, they can destroy a lesser tin opener.
I swear they could armour tanks with Fray Bentos pies .
Ministry of Defence take note!

5 Likes

Like the Fray Bentos steak and ale ones.
The Chicken ones are nice too…but since my health kick I haven’t had either.
Can probably afford to have one as a treat.
Next Asda shop if they do them.
But I’ve wrecked many a tin opener on their tins!

1 Like

they have gone up in price and a lot smaller

2 Likes

Have been watching the TV series Early Doors in which Fray Bentos pies feature. Can’t remember ever having had one personally but I’m from London! Although I do eat using a tray watching telly.

1 Like

I don’t know where you live to be paying £1.85 for a tin of beans !
I pay 28p in Lidl, they taste just as good as Heinz and have less sugar and salt.

1 Like

Golly, do they still make them…???

Sure do.