Fray Bentos pies

Hi

A right of passage for Uni Students.

They used to be £1, now £1.20.

One of these, with a handful of frozen chips and half a can of mushy peas

is not a bad diet, combined with a slice of wholemeal toast and a banana, plus some greens, will sort you out for £2 a day.

Once a week you can have more protein, for example Chickpeas and loads of mini veg you can grow on the window sill.

My Dad loved his pie in a tin .

Blimey!! Where do you buy your baked beans? I bought 3 trays a few days ago at 22p per tin. Tesco’s ALDI price match war down here :+1:

2 Likes

So you’re comparing the Ozzie pies you can buy now with your ‘vaguely remembered’ Walls pies of what? 40? 50? years ago? And coming to the conclusion that Australian pies are far superior to UK ones. I don’t think I’ve seen a Walls pie in the shops for decades. But I do come across a variety of really lush pies from many other brands. And guess what? All our bakeries sell hot pies which are quite delicious too!

I wasn’t comparing them but now you mention it Aussie pies were delicious 40 or 50 years ago too. Good to hear that the UK has caught up.

The complaint used to be, Britain - cold pies, warm beer

This is the nearest I’m likely to get to a supermarket pie. When cold and hungry and it’s lunchtime. And you say bugger it, I’m having something bad and processed for a change.

10 mins in hot oven.

1 Like

I can only think that those people who complained of cold pies didn’t have the basic intelligence to understand they needed to be heated in an oven.

Not much good when you are out and about away from home though is it?

That’s when you go into a bakery and buy a hot one :102:

I know

Old timers for old times sake

Morrisons…and I didn’t actually buy them - not at THAT price! Lurpak is a fiver a tub, not buying that either! My food options are becoming increasingly limited :frowning_face: Might try Aldi, but its quite far away…as is Lidl. Travel costs (bus) might cancel out any savings. Gosh, dilemma’s dilemma’s! :smiley:

1 Like

I loved Fray Bentos pies as a kid when R Mar was short on preparation time and needed to just bung something in the oven to feed two growing lads. Add a tin of baked beans between the two of us and we were all set.

I used to eat them occasionally when working away if there was a crew room with an oven I could borrow.

We always have a few in the back of the sideboard just in case we can’t get to the shops.

I loved the Fray Bentos suet puddings even better. I think you had to make two holes in the lid so they wouldn’t explode, rather than take the lid completely off like you need to do with the pies.

By the way, does anyone else like baked beans straight from the fridge?

I like them piping hot with grated cheese.

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a Fray Bentos pie but they’ve been around forever and I’d feel bereft if they vanished :sob:

Granny used to make a nice plate pie with a can of their stewing steak :pie:

Anyway, you’ll be OK because in 1966 they were MANFOOD!

2 Likes

I much prefer the pies from Morrisons hot/cold food counter. Minced beef, steak and ale, chicken in gravy. 2 for £2, or about £1.25 each. Or scotch pies. All yum.

Indeed it was! I used to buy the steak only ones - don’t eat kidney. Tried the chicken one once - vile - nuff said!

Another student favourite that is still around :-

Not sure I would want to eat any of them now!

There is something magical cracking open a tin with a pie in it, init.

I used to like those Vesta meals in times past. It was a funny thing that they were always labelled as for two even though it was obvious that the amount was really only enough for one. Apparently it was because a meal for one was only for losers! and would have resulted in less sales (so I read - remember Strand cigarettes?).

Their Paella meal was my favourite, I don’t think you can get Vesta meals here any more - or at least I haven’t seen them in the supermarkets

3 Likes

The paella and chow mein were my favourites, Bruce. Juggling the pans about on my minute ‘baby belling’ thingy was part of the fun! We have a shop called B&M over here that sells the whole range. Every time I see them I am tempted to try one for old times sake.

1 Like