Fray Bentos pies

Pie in a tin! Brilliant! Dates back to Victorian days, I don’t know how they did it.

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney: we all know it, from early childhood days and/or student cuisine romantic diner dates. They’ve got smaller now, same old stodgy pastry with a crispy layer on top. Not much inside, gooey gravy mostly plus a couple of lumps of something. I’m dying to taste one again after 40-50 odd years.

Post war, we were lucky to get to get the empty tin to make Yorkshire pudding.

Fancy one? I’ve just remembered they go well with baked beans. I don’t think we had baked beans when I was little, just something boring like mash and cabbage.

You must remember loving them, perhaps you still do it?

Considering baked beans are now £1.85 a tin, I would have the pie with mash and gravy. I have seen them in shops, and had one or two over the years, but I’m not a huge fan of pies…

We’ve been stocking up for the big crash: half tin of tesco beans for 25p

Might try some when we are desperate.

You guys are world leaders in meat pies

will keep you alive during a Rose Street pub crawl.

1 Like

Yuk a pie in a tin .

2 Likes

I know … but I’m getting strange flash backs.

I’ve never had one, but I’ve been watching this channel. The channel is called Jolly - Josh and Ollie, two UKers who met in Korea. They say this is the best breakfast pie they’ve ever had.

2 Likes

:joy:

You have experienced Rose Street then? It hasn’t changed at all!

1 Like

There’s YouTube videos on Fray Bentos pie appreciation.

We’re not talking “best”, just a strange phenomenon.

1 Like

Wait…breakfast pie?? As in this is the first thing you eat when you get out of bed? :scream:

Doody, me and John love them Fray Bentos pies, the Steak and sidney ones, I’m not ashamed to say either. Heck I could just eat one now, and you are right, they go great with baked beans.

1 Like

Fray Bentos pies in a tin? I immediately, think of tinned dog food!
No way, could l eat one of those but l do know, many people love them!

I think I am going to throw up…

1 Like

I remember them from when I lived in the UK, even when baked in the oven they ended up a soggy mess with little meat. A situation that seems worse today.

“this looks like it’s filled with slurry”

:grin:

I must say, it was a good idea on a Saturday night. Sunday morning: I think I’ll join @AnnieS pass the bucket.

We used to have them quite often when we were kids and yes, with baked beans they were a great meal. Didn’t even know they still made them, so there must still be someone out there that loves 'em…

The UK was not the place to buy every day pies, I vaguely remember Walls pies which were served cold and were grissly and quite disgusting.

I wouldn’t suggest Australian pies are healthy but every bakery sells hot pies and frankly they are quite delicious. I always used to buy one from the canteen when I took the kids to their Saturday sport.

Pack of four frozen pies are available in every supermarket and I always keep a few packs in my freezer.

When I first came to Australia I used to think Curry Pies were a joke but in my dotage I have grown quite addicted to them.

We haven’t bought a pie that I can remember, (other than a pork pie on occasion) since I was first married in 1972, there is absolutely nothing to beat a home made one of whatever flavour. At least you know what’s in there!