Fracking - any thoughts on this subject good or bad?

I know nothing about FRACKING Hazel, but its such a delioiously vulgar sounding word that I have earmarked it future use

You are a one Robert ā€¦:lol: :-p

Ah, thatā€™s interesting. Did the local council bring in their own geologist Hazel? Just in case the crack was due to other things (speed bumps near your house for example). Did any other neighbours have similar problems? I know heavy traffic (as in big lorries) and speed bumps damage foundations so I was wondering how fracking canā€™t.

They also want to do open cast mining not far away from that.

I hadnā€™t thought about mining - I wonder if mines produce the same kind of land disturbance (sorry, Iā€™m really showing my ignorance now!).

Oh yes and theyā€™d like a windfarm too. Now Iā€™m not a geologist nor do I hold any politcal persuasion, I just donā€™t want the Frackin in my area, just in case.

Itā€™s understandable when those in power seem incapable of being truthful. The fact that theyā€™re offering cheaper fuel to those who live nearby makes me suspicious. Iā€™d really like it to be a good thing - anything that doesnā€™t make us so reliant on other countries whims and fancies when it comes to charges but - at what price.

Absolutely not. Once theyā€™ve learned to handle it and figure out how to dispose of it maybe but the risk is way too great.

The sea around the north of the Island showed (maybe still does for all I know) much higher levels of radiation that the side that faces Ireland (canā€™t remember off hand which that is :blush: ) that came from Sellafield.

I would like to point out the remarkable, nay, outstanding effort I used in restraining myself from using it in the title bar the way I wanted to: I Havenā€™t Got A ******** Clue :lol::lol::lol:

[quote=ā€œben-varrey, post: 304817ā€]
Ah, thatā€™s interesting. Did the local council bring in their own geologist Hazel? Just in case the crack was due to other things (speed bumps near your house for example). Did any other neighbours have similar problems? I know heavy traffic (as in big lorries) and speed bumps damage foundations so I was wondering how fracking canā€™t.

I hadnā€™t thought about mining - I wonder if mines produce the same kind of land disturbance (sorry, Iā€™m really showing my ignorance now!).
Yes Karen mines produce quite serious subsidence. Near where I lived many buildings suffered subsidence damage and the owners received compensation. But coal mining meant removing about 3 to 5 feet of coal so, over the years, the ground above would gradually sink. Fracking does not remove solids but just the gas absorbed into the rocks. I canā€™t imagine that this would cause subsidence.

Many thanks Alan - I couldnā€™t remember if it was you or Plantman that had worked in mining and then you posted about it!

Would the removal of the gas cause a problem? It has to take up space (sorry if Iā€™m sounding like an idiot) so what happens then? The UK scientists are saying what you are saying so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s true and that the other comments were scare stories spread by the gas giants.

Its the high pressure method used to ā€˜fractureā€™ the rocky terrain thats the problem and the pollution also that emits from this work ā€¦

Pollution :shock:

When you consider all of the ā€˜accidentsā€™ over the years - do we really want to add yet another ā€˜riskā€™ to our environment ā€¦

As I understand it Karen the gas is forced out of the shale by pumping water under high pressure to the shale beds so, presumably, the gas is replaced by water. there is talk that a gas/water mixture could pollute the underground aquifers.

Iā€™m becoming so concerned about the rise in fuel prices that Iā€™m considering saving up to buy a multi-fuel/multi purpose Rayburn (I think thatā€™s what theyā€™re called) and sneaking off to the wooded areas late at night!

Just wish we had the answer to getting affordable and safe energy.

Just reading up on those ā€¦

Hmm, seems like this could be a problem. This article states that fracking didnā€™t sully aquifers:

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/09/fracking-did-not-sully-aquifers-limited-study-finds/

but then at the end of the piece says:

ā€œThereā€™s a huge gap between the different debates that take place relative to actual scientific evidence,ā€ he said. ā€œWeā€™re really in the beginning of understanding the impact of shale gas on the environment.ā€

You should be terribly worried by Fracking, although I know very little about it, my mind suddenly remembered the BP Gulf of Mexico disaster was a type of Fracking, I looked it up and yes it is.
By pushing high pressure sea water into the underground reservoirs of oi, it forces up the oil though the hole drilled by the BP crew.
This same type of accident can happen under inland Fracking, now check this out for yourself by googlingā€¦

See Here

There is a lot of scaremongering regarding fracking from many uninformed sources. The truth is that this procedure is carried out at depths of around 6 to 10 kilometres and they only frack a well once to open the shale, after which the gas will continue to flow for years.

This has been done safely now for several years in America and it is transforming their whole economy from an energy point of view. We cannot afford not to frack as it will give us the independence and security of a very clean fuel supply for at least half a century and probably more, by which time hopefully more sensible renewable sources of energy will have been developed.

Fracking.

There was a little bit about this on countryfile yesterday evening but they didnā€™t go too much into the supposed dangers of it. Iā€™m sure it will go ahead anyway, the financial gain to our nation is too great not to take advantage of it.

Hello Alan - just to let you know, this thread was started while you were on holiday :slight_smile:

The problem, for me, is the conflicting evidence; when two sides start bickering with each other (much like politicians and the fanatics that follow them), how are the rest of us supposed to make informed decisions and have opinions on whether it is a good thing to support or a negative thing that needs to be challenged :frowning:

Well after visiting the site below and scrolling all the way to the bottom Fracking is fraught with dangerous end results apart from the possibilities of subsidence. Didnā€™t realise so many toxic chemicals were used in the process. Looks like a great way to poison the earth.

This site below loads slowly as it is very heavy on graphics. Once loaded you can scroll down slowly and read the box captions as they appear.

Dangers of Fracking