Fracking - any thoughts on this subject good or bad?

I heard on a programme a few days ago that the risks associated with fracking were fuelled, and paid for, by Russian, Norwegian and Qatari gas giants and that the risks involved are next to neglible - these claims are being made by reputable scientists.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3230/fracking_no_great_shakes_says_definitive_british_study

It is worrying to read about deliberate spin from the Green people (article above).

I don’t believe for one moment the price of gas would come down significantly (UK government way too greedy for that) but it would create employment and lessen our dependance on the Russians, etc.

I know next to nothing about fracking and went boggle-eyed trying to learn about it - any thoughts on this subject good or bad?

1 Like

Dont like the idea of it and I ‘dont’ believe those that say ‘no problem’ … they are ‘seldom right’ - money comes first - always has and always will… They are willing to take the chance on the safety of the planet - thats about it ‘chance’ …

The trouble is we have to weigh risks with the risk of being reliant on other countries supplying us. Me I would say the risk is worth it but I am not living on an area they would do it so perhaps am not best placed to say.

See what you say - a few years down the line Julie …

I don’t know enough about the possible consequences of this process to comment.

What I am pretty sure about though is it won’t lead to cheaper fuel and this new source of gas will run out in time.

We really do need to be concentrating more on renewal energy sources . The answer to our energy needs is I am sure out there waiting to be discovered…

Not sure what that means.

I admitted it doesn’t affect my area so I can’t really say if it is good or bad.

They can Frack off it they think they’re doin it in my backyard.:slight_smile:

Does it ‘have to’ affect your area … If there was a disaster because of it - I’m sure you would be angry about it, as I would be …

There’s a company starting exploratory drilling and ‘fracking’ at a place called Balcombe - other side of the downs and about 20 miles away from me. The locals are not happy, and fear earth subsidence or local quakes will damage or destroy their properties. Brighton & Hove City Council announced a couple of weeks ago that it would be a ‘fracking free zone’.

Yea - money always talks the loudest …:twisted:

UJ they started Fracking not 5 miles from me on the far edge of “The Moss” a peat moss, in 2009 it was halted in 2011 while council thought about it they did and said No. They will get their own way in the end, but you know the crack on my back patio, thats when it started moving, perhaps a connection there, BTW it’s effects were felt as far away as Blackpool 50mls apparently.

Well yes if I had educated myself about it (which I haven’t) then I could say whether it is good or not. I would obviously educate myself about something I had to live alongside.

But from afar I can say we need to do something, this may or may not be the thing to do.

Do you always have cast iron opinions about things you know little about ? I tend to wait until I have experience or have done some research about things.

If I have little knowledge on a subject I always say so early on. The article I saw on ‘Fracking’ was enough for me to decide it is ‘not’ a good idea … But, like with everything else - it will go ahead and then, they will rue the day …

stop making this personal, this thread is about Fracking, and before anyone jumps down my throat I have mentioned no names, nor made an accusation against anyone.Just stick to what you think about Fracking please

Hello Hazel - I really cant see ‘personal’ comments here - honestly…
I feel strongly about it, but have not been rude to anyone surely …

I wasn’t being personal either I don’t think just saying why I had little to say about it.

about 15 years ago we had a minor earth tremour which damaged my garden wall and there was a slight crack across the concrete, it never altered till about 3/4 years ago when it started to widen. I’d never heard of fracking, seems it started 2009, till it was suspended in 2011, they applied to reopen it either end of last year or early this not sure which cos there’s so much going on round here you lose track, Anyhow according to the paper it was suspended cos of fears to the house foundations fairly close by (probably about a mile away), anyhow the coucil refused to grant permission. They also want to do open cast mining not far away from that. Oh yes and they’d like a windfarm too. Now I’m not a geologist nor do I hold any politcal persuasion, I just don’t want the Frackin in my area, just in case.

I agree with you - I wouldn’t want it either - start tampering with the Earth at the depths they want to - gonna cause problems - you dont have to be a scientist to work that out …

Yet we have allowed mining for many centuries and taken oil from much greater depths.

Perhaps nuclear is the best way to go ?

Yes - its the hydraulic pressure that would need to be used, thats a concern…