Foundation Make-Up

i can’t see the shade on either, Zuleika…they had testers,.i think it may have been a number, neither of which I can find on these tubes, I’ve had them about 3 yrs…

You will need to test the shade on your own skin before you buy.

Number 7…looks more natural I think.

This is a bit long, but it gives an idea of how long we ought to keep cosmetics for once they have been opened.

Lipstick
Hold onto it for 18–24 months, or until the smell and/or odor changes. “I’m not as concerned about bacteria as I am about the oils going rancid,” Wilson adds. Rancidity is expedited by heat, so don’t leave your lipstick locked in the car on a hot day (or steamy bathroom, for that matter).

Blush/eyeshadow/pressed powders

These can last up to 12–18 months. Clean your brushes often to avoid contamination and make them last even longer. For the most part, pressed powders won’t ever really turn bad because there’s no oil or water in them.

Lip gloss

Glosses will last for at least 12 months, closer to 18 if it’s an oil-based product and you store it properly. But the nature of the product—pulling the wand out of the tube, letting in oxygen, and then dipping it back in with your saliva on it—ups the chances of it turning. Arnett’s insider tip: apply gloss to the back of your (clean!) hand first, and then dab onto the lips to extend its glossy life.

Mascara

Since it’s wet, mascara’s more prone to bacteria growth, Arnett explains. And since it’s your eyes, you should be concerned about keeping it fresh and clean. Many people will keep a tube for six months—most brands out there call that out as the magic number. But some formulas will flake and clump before that; others, if you take good care of them, will last a lot longer.

“I keep mascaras for up to a year but I don’t use the same mascara every day and it’s stored in a dry place,” Wilson explains. “If you’re not careful about storage then I would toss in 6-9 months.” But always err on the side of caution to protect your peepers.

Eyeliner

Pencils, as long as you sharpen them often, shaving away the oxidized and potentially bacteria-laced tip, can last as long as it takes to use them up. So this is where to stock up. “Since you are so close to the eye, you just don’t want to take a chance with bacteria,” Wilson warns.

Foundation/concealer/tinted moisturizers

These products are often made with plant oils, so if you’re careful to avoid contamination and store them away from heat, they’ll last longer than water-based products. Again, a smell and color check will let you know when these have turned—your nose will know if the oil is rancid. As long as you wash your hands first, and use clean brushes or sponges, these should last around 12–18 months.

I always moisturise, before I apply the tinted moisturiser, Zuleika, even though it’s a tinted moisturiser…

That made me smile Pauline . Not taking any chances?
Have you a fav moisturiser?

I always throw make up etc. out after it’s expiry date ,as Mups has shown in her post ,stuff does go off .

Mups, that’s great information! I didn’t know that. I found this website too, if it helps anyone:
http://checkcosmetic.net/

There’s no expiry date on number 7…,personally,I don’t take notice of what is said about it going off…I’ve been using tinted moisturiser for years…same as mascara,I don’t use it now, but when I did, it lasted me for a couple of years…I don’t believe all that I read.:smiley:

I’m the judge of what I use and how long I use it for.

No fav moisturiser…but not a cheap one either.:smiley:

I use Vichy serum then their Rich Cream on top .
So I expect I”ll put the City Light on top of the serum and try that , leaving the Rich Cream for nighttime .

I don’t bother with foundation at the moment but I do use translucent powder (bourjois) and some maybelline lippy.

Annie, Powder must suit your skin.

I never use Powder as it makes my face look corpse-ish and dry looking.
I use Natural Bronzer as blusher on my cheeks, chin and middle of my forehead between my eyes, (it’s very hard to describe)

I take no notice of dates. It’s only mascara and eyeliner that l am very careful with.
Actually, l have never seen a date on any of the make up products l use.

My skin can only take a very light powder Art. Borjois is just right but it’s only a light dusting. I’ve never been able to wear heavy foundation or panstick type makeup. For example I don’t think I could wear bronzer or heavy blusher. I wish I could slap it on but it just looks fake on me. As well as this I have never worn heavy eyeshadow or liner. Otherwise looks like a 5 year old who is experimenting with mum’s make up bag! Less is more. I couldn’t be without my lippy though :slight_smile:

I think with mascara you can tell when it’s off as it has a funny smell. Like you I don’t recall seeing any dates on makeup. Lipsticks tend to smell funny too after a few years.

Surely they have for instance a jar with an open top icon and an expiry date next to it or x months ?
Going through my products they do .
I stick a tiny label on them with the date I opened them .
The other day I bought some of that tinted moisturiser Pauline3 mentioned,City Light and yes, it has the open top jar icon on it 24M.
My mascara 6M .
I use a Kohl pencil so because you’re forever sharpening it ,date doesn’t matter.

Annie, I hope it doesn’t sound as if l wear the natural bronzer on bare skin on its own? I just use it to highlight after applying my Leichner foundation. I saw how my daughter used it and l copied her!
I don’t wear heavy make up, l use it to just to enhance my skin and improve what l have. Like eye make up, to make my piggy eyes look better!

Zuleika, Whenever l saw Olay 7 Total Effects moisture cream at a good price. I would buy it.
The thing was they didn’t have any ‘use by dates’ on them and l never thought to date them myself at time of purchase.
One day, l looked in my cupboard and l had a few of them but didn’t know when l had purchased each of them.
I decided to ring Olay and by telling them the serial no. on each box, they were able to tell me when they should be used by. I then wrote this info on each box.

A good idea, but it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.

These manufacturers should make it clear for people from the start.
I don’t know how they get away with their labelling when the law is so strict on dates of other things.

My shampoo, conditioner, face, body and hand creams all have Best Before dates clearly shown.

I think most of my make up predates any best before dates protocol! :smiley:

It’s funny Art to be talking about this. I used to spend a lot of energy on such things before the lockdown and watching others is a great way to pick up tips. But what with masks and everything I’m wondering when we will be able to look glam outside again. All our make up will be out of date by then!

Annie, These day’s, when l put make up on to go out, l think why am l bothering with the rest of my face when really only my eyes are showing! I do make sure my hair is washed and nice!
I still put it on but just a light touch of the lipstick on my lips! I used to put an outline at the top of my lips but l don’t bother with that if l’m going to wear a mask.

The vanity of us!! Ha!!

Tell me , now that I’ve bought City Light TINTED moisturiser do I put it on my eyelids too ?
I never did with ordinary stuff.

I do the same Art but am always getting make up on the masks. There is no way I am leaving the porch without lippy and freshly washed hair. Even if it’s putting out the bins.

I don’t usually put the tinted stuff too close to my eyes. I used to have very sensitive skin around my eyes so I’m really careful with anything. At the moment I’m using bio oil on my face. Takes two seconds to moisturise. It’s also non reactive with sensitive skin. When I used tinted moisturiser I used to moisturise first and then dot it in the t-zone and a bit on the cheekbones. Anything like that I have to use very sparingly or it looks like warpaint on my skin.