Foods You Don't Buy Anymore Because Of Inflation

I can understand that. I am a a lucky old phart! Tonight is cod with potato wedges. I know you are a recruit here so just a little information from me. I am an ancient Scotsman, my wife, the cook, is from Georgia, USA. Now you know everything about me!

2 Likes

Hi brokenvows Nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve had to stop buying Bollinger - in these difficult times I have to buy my champagne from Lidl - itā€™s a third of the price, darling - Cheers! :joy: :champagne: :clinking_glasses:

5 Likes

I trust you decant that fizzy plonk it into Bollinger bottles. After all, one has to maintain an outward appearance of dignity.

1 Like

After the 1st bottle, you donā€™t really notice the label, darling! Hic! :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not certain if itā€™s the same where some of you live, but where I live Iā€™ve noticed that candy hasnā€™t really gotten as expensive as I thought it would. A pack of four Mars bars has been steady at around $4.50 roughly.

1 Like

Yup, one egg across 250g meat / 250g lentils. Plus a large handful of breadcrumbs - more to loosen up the mix than to pad it out. I always use 15% fat mince because of flavour and it seems to cook better. Makes 4 very large burgers.

2 Likes

Even though, or maybe because, I live in France I donā€™t usually buy champagne. Normally I use local fizzy wine and pretty much every wine region does its own version. Or prosecco (from Lidl). I found champagne proper gives me headache but cremant doesnā€™t. Our local domaine makes a great cremant and at 7.50 euros its a third the price of cheap champagne.

2 Likes

Hi Megalodon , I am alone so not a lot to cut back on because I donā€™t drink alcohol nor do I eat red meat .
Interesting that youā€™ve cut back on cereals .
My breakfast every day starts with either a Quaker porridge sachet ,2 Weetabix or a bowl of Alpen . Not noticed that theyā€™ve gone up a lot . Our supermarkets do offers on groceries so mostly I buy when offers are on .
The only thing I have cut out of my weekly shop is the Radio Times which also lists weekly tv channel programmes which got up to ,I think , Ā£3 .85 last time I looked. So Iā€™ve begun reading it online .
Iā€™ve never had a takeaway in my life btw

1 Like

Thanks for the info regarding CrĆ©mant - I have tried several of these before when Iā€™ve stayed with my nephew, who has been trained to work in wine shops and hotels. I agree that some of these regional sparkling wines can be every bit as good or better than some ā€œchampagnesā€ - I think the trick is knowing which ones to choose and I donā€™t have that detailed knowledge myself.

The Bollinger vs Lidl champagne was a bit of a joke - but I have found one particular champagne that Lidl sell for about Ā£13 a bottle that is very good.
To be honest, my favourite ā€œfizzā€ is Marks & Spencerā€™s Prosecco - it has a lovely ā€œbutteryā€ flavour and is reasonably priced when itā€™s on offer - I usually buy a case when itā€™s on offer at around Ā£7.50 a bottle.

1 Like

Mars Bars used to be dead solid, a real good nosh when I was a kid!

1 Like

You too Megalodon smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Megalodon, good to meet you, I wouldnā€™t worry about the duplicate ID, Azz will sort it

Iā€™ve given up buying prepared sauces, cheese sauce, pasta sauce, curry sauce, things like that

I only use them when Iā€™m feeling lazy, they donā€™t take 10 minutes to make really and your own taste better anyway

And mostly youā€™re paying for a jar of water with a few spices

1 Like

Oh, and panko breadcrumbs, ridiculous price for breadcrumbs and theyā€™re easy in the airfryer

1 Like

Bread & milk. I drank a lot of plant based milk, and now itā€™s a bit pricey to feel comfortable with. So I use powdered milk for drinks, and water or juice for smoothies. I make my own bread about once a week, so thatā€™s good for snacking. I donā€™t buy sauces - just make my own tomato based with herbs and spices.

1 Like

Iā€™ve stopped buying blow up mattresses, their rate of inflation is too much for me!

4 Likes

Yep. lol

Nice to meet you too Maree. :slight_smile:

Welcome MrTallBuoy :wave:

Blow up dolls too? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, Iā€™m the one who lowers the tone on hereā€¦ā€¦

2 Likes

Not really, trying to reduce my plastic usage :wink:

1 Like