Foods You Don't Buy Anymore Because Of Inflation

Myself, hamburger and boxed cereal.

We’ve cut down an awful.lot on the number of takeaways we used to have, which was sometimes 2 or more a week. Nowadays it’s probably one every 3-4 weeks, and most times I have any leftovers for tea the next day which wasn’t always the case.

1 Like

Nice to meet you Dextrous63

It’s a sad state of affairs isn’t it? So much greed in the world.

1 Like

Hi Megalodon. Nice to have someone new on board.

Yep. We’re not poor, but we’re deffo taking a bit more care over things such as wasting food, using the car etc etc.

I worry for my children.

2 Likes

Thank you. Glad to be here. I goofed though. I created an account yesterday completely forgetting that this one I’m using now existed. lol I made a thread about it but it is awaiting approval. I’m not a parent, but I can only imagine how much mental stress you must be going through worrying.

1 Like

Wouldn’t worry about the duplicate membership.

I’d be very happy if my children decided they weren’t going to have children themselves. Global population is grotesque and the sooner it comes down, the better things will be for the smaller number of folk who exist.

2 Likes

Okay. I just wanted to be honest about it because in my experience many admins don’t allow alt accounts. I agree. Things just seem to be getting worse for the world in so many ways. I’m not very optimistic when thinking about the future and what it holds.

Hi megalodon , interesting thread and yes I am trying to cut back . I’ve always been careful but am more so . I do shop in aldi and its cheaper than most shops , veg is very good and English meat . I hate seeing the huge changes each week .

I also worry for my granchildren and I have said if I was young I wouldn’t bring children into the world .

1 Like

Branded names like Heinz, I always bought their beans, soups, sauces ect. Now it’s the supermarkets own brand. :sob: I can’t believe the price the brand one’s are.

2 Likes

Hi susan_m, a pleasure to meet you.

I wouldn’t bring children into the world today either. I don’t like sounding pessimistic about the state of the world, but all of the signs pointing to the future are grim to say the least.

1 Like

That chappie Jamie Oliver (some don’t like him but I think he can have good ideas) made burgers that were 50/50 beef mince and blitzed lentils. Thought I’d try this as beef is getting very pricey and cutting back on red meat is sensible. These burgers were great - lighter than 100% mince ones and no negative impact on taste. OK, so I’m still buying mince, its not that I’m not buying it anymore. And I’m now also buying tins of lentils. Perhaps I’m on the wrong thread.

1 Like

Hey Rox. Good to meet you. Yeah. Brand names prices are brutal. A small box of cheese Ritz crackers for like $4.00 at my local grocery store? No way am I paying that.

1 Like

Nice to meet you strathmore. With the price of beef these days, it’s almost cheaper to buy and slaughter your own cows. lol

Hi Megalodon. I’m the grumpy old phart !
My dear wife is a pretty good cook so we rarely have anything processed. Mostly we mostly have it cooked from scratch. That said we do have the odd takeaway - maybe once a month.

1 Like

We’ve always been frugal, been shopping in Aldi and Lidl’s for yonks, still have out holidays though, didn’t work for 50 yrs not to enjoy retirement, if the pension doesn’t last, so be it .

2 Likes

Hi Besoeker, a pleasure. Well, the way the world is today we can all justify being grumpy. lol Yeah, nothing like a home cooked meal. In all honesty I eat a lot of foods I shouldn’t because I’m single and too lazy to cook all of the time.General Mills ought to give me a bulk rate on their Pizza Pops considering how many I buy.

Good to meet you caricature. :slight_smile:

Likewise.

1 Like

@strathmore, what %fat mince do you use? Also egg to bind it? Some use breadcrumbs with eggs to pad it out a bit.

1 Like

We havent had a take away for over 3 years,and when we had a menu put through the letterbox we wpnt be for a long time,the prices have shot up more than 25%.
Stopped buying crisps/biscuits and cut down on fresh fruit and veg.

2 Likes