Foods You Don't Buy Anymore Because Of Inflation

Yup, one egg across 250g meat / 250g lentils. Plus a large handful of breadcrumbs - more to loosen up the mix than to pad it out. I always use 15% fat mince because of flavour and it seems to cook better. Makes 4 very large burgers.

2 Likes

Even though, or maybe because, I live in France I don’t usually buy champagne. Normally I use local fizzy wine and pretty much every wine region does its own version. Or prosecco (from Lidl). I found champagne proper gives me headache but cremant doesn’t. Our local domaine makes a great cremant and at 7.50 euros its a third the price of cheap champagne.

2 Likes

Hi Megalodon , I am alone so not a lot to cut back on because I don’t drink alcohol nor do I eat red meat .
Interesting that you’ve cut back on cereals .
My breakfast every day starts with either a Quaker porridge sachet ,2 Weetabix or a bowl of Alpen . Not noticed that they’ve gone up a lot . Our supermarkets do offers on groceries so mostly I buy when offers are on .
The only thing I have cut out of my weekly shop is the Radio Times which also lists weekly tv channel programmes which got up to ,I think , £3 .85 last time I looked. So I’ve begun reading it online .
I’ve never had a takeaway in my life btw

1 Like

Thanks for the info regarding Crémant - I have tried several of these before when I’ve stayed with my nephew, who has been trained to work in wine shops and hotels. I agree that some of these regional sparkling wines can be every bit as good or better than some “champagnes” - I think the trick is knowing which ones to choose and I don’t have that detailed knowledge myself.

The Bollinger vs Lidl champagne was a bit of a joke - but I have found one particular champagne that Lidl sell for about £13 a bottle that is very good.
To be honest, my favourite “fizz” is Marks & Spencer’s Prosecco - it has a lovely “buttery” flavour and is reasonably priced when it’s on offer - I usually buy a case when it’s on offer at around £7.50 a bottle.

1 Like

Mars Bars used to be dead solid, a real good nosh when I was a kid!

1 Like

You too Megalodon smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Megalodon, good to meet you, I wouldn’t worry about the duplicate ID, Azz will sort it

I’ve given up buying prepared sauces, cheese sauce, pasta sauce, curry sauce, things like that

I only use them when I’m feeling lazy, they don’t take 10 minutes to make really and your own taste better anyway

And mostly you’re paying for a jar of water with a few spices

1 Like

Oh, and panko breadcrumbs, ridiculous price for breadcrumbs and they’re easy in the airfryer

1 Like

Bread & milk. I drank a lot of plant based milk, and now it’s a bit pricey to feel comfortable with. So I use powdered milk for drinks, and water or juice for smoothies. I make my own bread about once a week, so that’s good for snacking. I don’t buy sauces - just make my own tomato based with herbs and spices.

1 Like

I’ve stopped buying blow up mattresses, their rate of inflation is too much for me!

4 Likes

Yep. lol

Nice to meet you too Maree. :slight_smile:

Welcome MrTallBuoy :wave:

Blow up dolls too? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I’m the one who lowers the tone on here……

2 Likes

Not really, trying to reduce my plastic usage :wink:

1 Like

I think inflation is the least of my worries. It would be nice to go the supermarket and know that they have something in stock. Supply issues seem to be a bigger problem because of the shortage of drivers.

Often one supermarket doesn’t have stock of something you need but the one nearby has plenty, it is so annoying.

Some products seem to have disappeared or been reduced in choice. Frozen meat pies for example, before the pandemic you could buy a four pack of beef, chicken, curried, egg, steak and onion, steak and cheese, steak an bacon etc. Now you are lucky if they have beef or chicken pies at the same time.

My pension catches up with inflation eventually so, no, inflation is not the problem. If I was young with a mortgage that would be a different matter but I am not.

2 Likes

My local grocery store hasn’t had my favorite corned beef there in forever. In the pharmacy much of the cold medication is in short supply also. I’ve been shopping there for years and have never seen a half empty cold med shelf before.

1 Like

Corned beef. Aha. I knew there was a meal I’ve not had for a while. Hash.

Onion, spuds, black pepper, chopped chilli and tin of corned beef. Pure stodge, but pure joy!!

1 Like

The inflation rate is running at ten percent but there have been no shortages of anything in supermarkets and discounters so far. Since we shop at Aldi’s mostly and only buy some supplements at a nearby major supermarket chain we wouldn’t know what to cut short on. Some prices are on the increase but there are also special offers to balance it. Still, we end up paying between ten and twenty quid more for the same trolley. Not a real problem.

1 Like

Foie Gras.Apparently the king can’t afford it either now.

I try to support our village shops but a single item can be £1 more expensive than in the big supermarkets. A carton of cream was 75p more.

I have stopped buying lamb because I find that really expensive.

A bar of Cadbury’s chocolate everywhere was £1. About 3 weeks ago it jumped up to £1.25 so I vowed not to buy any more. That lasted about a week! :rofl: