Feelin' Lonely, Tonight!

I’m glad to hear it, Percy. :+1:

loneliness is shit.

Ian, Loneliness is a killer but if ever l am feeling lonely, l just tell myself, ‘the world won’t come to you, you have to go out and get it’.
I occasionally got lonely during lockdown but now it’s over, l have days when it’s non stop and l crave just to be on my own.

You’d think there would be lots of night groups for people who can’t sleep and are lonely, to have a chat to.

I would chat to you but l zonk out cold every night!

1 Like

Oh, I fully agree that loneliness is very, very unpleasant. But I’m not grieving whereas you are. So go easy on yourself.

Remember, one can be in a relationship and be lonely which, in my opinion, is by far the worse thing in the world.

So - some advice:

• Take it slow
  • Make new connections
  • Be wary online
  • Try to open up
  • Take up a hobby
  • Look at Social clubs
  • Be careful when comparing yourself to other’s
  • Look after yourself

Oh, and ignore Harbal :018: but he’s mostly harmless…

1 Like

Wow! Where to begin?

I’m in my mid 60s.
I’ve been agoraphobed into this house for the past 26 years.
I have no immune system, and can mix with nobody, at all - even with measures. My next catch…will kill! I listen to stern medical warnings!

Only with the Net and the telephone can I even BE in company, and I also get escapes when I watch my films.

I felt lonely and tired of being lonely, and I just wanted to feel comfortable in going somewhere online (my only real choice) and talking about it. Almost every reply is a sterling example of how nice people can be. However, Harbal has proven what I’ve known about the Internet since I arrived online, 21 years ago…there’s always one with too much mouth, and no compassion and sensitivity.

Thank you to all who replied, in kindness. Good people. I never forget.

Ian.

PS: When I get pushed, I push back!

Good for You Ian,…venting is good for the soul, :wink:
remember to join in with the other threads and become a regular…good luck,x

1 Like

Yes…I’ll do that.

Thanks for providing context. I’m sorry that you haven’t left your home in such a long time. That’s really tough.

So, you’re immune compromised. Is that due to some sort of medical treatment? Don’t respond if you’re uncomfortable to do so.

I’m never lonely if I’m watching a good movie. :026: or reading the very many political threads….

1 Like

And I haven’t even warmed up yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

:slight_smile: oh dear

maybe You should cool down a bit then Kiddo,
it’s not that long since You returned,
Be kind… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I can’t help it; I’m drawn to danger like a moth to a flame. :candle:

1 Like

:laughing:…Ya big eejit.

2 Likes

Good post, May. I’ve been on my own for 20 odd years too, and like you say, it can be a bit lonely occasionally, but like you, I keep busy. I also belong to three different exercise classes, so that is good comapny as well as tires me out.

Ian, have you any hobbies? What do you like doing?

I have no idea of your capabilities, but are there any local clubs or organisations you could join that would get you out doing things, and making friends?
Or would you consider helping out at a local charity as a driver, or befriender, or helping in any other way? There must be something you could do.

I think if you did more during the day, you would find you will be more tired at night.
Sometimes over-thinking does us no good.
Good luck.

1 Like

The immune system problem is nutrition-based, not medically caused.

1 Like

He’s capable of dishing out a good tongue lashing, that much has been established. :grimacing:

Thanks, to all who gave me some great ideas, and there are plenty of them, up there.

Only too glad to help. :+1:

Apologies about my suggestion of joining in things Ian, I hadn’t seen about your agrophobia.
That still leaves telephone jobs though, like Percy suggested with the Samaritans, or charitable work. Where I am a local charity have people to give the lonely ones a call once or twice a week, although I doubt that would be in the middle of the night though!

Have you tried googling what sort of things may be available in your area?

1 Like