Favourite Pie?

As a Pie scoffer of olympic standards I was just wondering what other pie lovers favourite pastry encased parcel of delight was.

Technically my favourite isn’t a pie, it’s a Cornish Pasty, however no other meat/savoury pie is safe if it comes within reaching distance. Sweet/Dessert pies I’m not as quick to despatch but when I do they must be covered in a pint of custard.

1 Like

I favour lemon meringue.

Not keen on cornish pasties - love steak and guinness pie.

Oooh - Yes !!:smiley:

Hmmmm - I happen to have many choices (see my local pie shop). Yes they do Cornish Pasties, but in additionas examples: Chicken curry, steak, cheese & baked beans, corned beef. chicken & ham, Plus there is a ‘pie of the month’ too.

As to ‘sweet’ pies, there is a truly delightful cherry and custard pie (the custard is already inside). At Xmas of course there are mince pies too - delicious!!!

Cottage or Admiral’s followed by key lime or lemon meringue ( I would say Milk tart but…it’s a tart!)

A nice steak and kidney pie goes down well with me!

I’ll second that!!

I don’t really have a favourite, my DIL says her favourite meal is the steak/mushroom/red wine pie I make with flaky pastry on the top :-).

There is one Cornish Pasty I’ve tried on a few occasions that I’m not in love with, it’s a large Morrison’s one based on the origin of the Pasty for the miners. Three quarters filled with meat/potato/onion, a quarter filled with apple puree, dinner and pudding in one. Maybe I’d appreciate it more if I didn’t employ my usual technique of just getting stuck in to it.

I do still scoff the odd one but they’re only bought when heavily reduced in price to sell off near closing time. Shopping Yorkshire style.

I’m more of a tart fan, an open top pie, my spring vegetable tart is rather nice as is my husbands lemon meringue. Another is lime meringue he makes same as lemon but with lime.

I dont think this is fair, how do we choose one?

A pasty is great but a steak and guinness pie is a good winter meal and steak and kidney is just sublime…
Then there are things like Jamacia patty which is more of a pasty than a pie I suppose but anyhow it reminds me of childhood. Then there are things like veal and ham pie, pork pies great summer foods and the sweet pies apple, lemon meringue, cherry etc …

I think I like pies too much!

Hello fellow Yorkshire person and welcome to the site :slight_smile:

I’m told I make a mean steak pie, my son in law always requests it when he comes for a meal. It has to be a proper pie though, no soggie bottom and always shortcrust pastry. Have to admit I never buy shop bought savoury pies although Morrisons fruit pies are acceptable as you say with lashings of custard, blinkin heck I’m hungry now :slight_smile:

I like the Quorn chicken style pies. Tbh, it’s the pastry I’m interested in more than the filling. Same with crumbles, give me the crumble topping with custard and I’m happy.

Yes the quorn pies are quite nice !

If I wasn’t so in love with pies I think I might have been after reading that. :-p

Are you a relative of Pie Face who appeared on Big Brother? :lol:

Thank you for the welcome fellow Yorkshire person, and obviously a fellow pie expert for us experts know that a pie with a soggy bottom is prone to bursting when one lifts the pie to the mouth and sinks ones teeth into it.

No, I’m a relative of Shrek who appeared in a few films, except I’m not green and I’ve got hair :lol:

Just the ears then. :lol::lol: